What’s your most unique guitar?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Otis Fine, Apr 9, 2020.

1. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Custom Shop Martin with torrified top, cocobolo back & sides, Special fret markers. It's a D-28 platform. Martin sbs_kindlephoto-134374795.jpg

2. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Fender CS 55 Esquire, best guitar ever :)

2020-03-21 20-15-28.jpg

3. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

'68 Tele, original sparkle silver. Subsequently butcher...er, "heavily modified" over decades of campaigning. Restored to original during the 2000s.

If I admitted what I did to this poor Tele, which Larry Wexler of Wexler Vintage once said was probably one of 50 made at the time, I'd be banished from the Fender world. I got the guitar in '73 in a trade with the then young, future Bakersfield steel great, Kenny Tranham, who passed away in 2002. I restored it to original vibe in his memory. I had kept most all of the original parts, eBay and some scouting found the rest. It's all '68 Tele, just not the exactly the '68 that left the factory. Lindy Fralin re-wound both of the pickups to early '68 spec. Both had died in battle years ago. Thing sounds amazing, wish Kenny was still around to see it.

68 Tele web.jpg

4. musky55

musky55 Tele-Meister

Steadman Shredder.jpg Hollow steel body and it shreds

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Boy, this thread has it all! It’s showing unique in a variety of ways, from teles that started life as a Nashville and wound up an Esquire, brookdalebill’s avatar pic tele that pretty much defies simple categorization, guitar bodies the shape of Australia, or bottlecap encrusted, a biscuit-tin double neck, etc.

My most unique guitar? Whatever that means to me? o_O

That's a bit of a difficult choice for me. Most all of my guitars are distinctive, for at least one reason: they're not the brands you see on most stages. No Martins (though I'd like one), Taylors, Fenders, Gibsons or PRS' here.

The most familiar name brand of my bunch (to guitar players, anyway) is Breedlove. But in the 12 years I've owned Breedlove, I've seen exactly two others on stages in Corpus or elsewhere.

But you said "most unique," so I'll pick one. Actually, it's a two way tie: the two in my avatar pic, my Logan Custom Firecasters.
    [​IMG]

Built by Bob Logan out of lumber I salvaged from our house fire in 2010, they are both unique. They are alike in that they are made from that salvaged lumber, but still different in distinctive aspects.

The one stained dark walnut on the left was the first (2012), and has a top made from 85 year old planks Long Leaf Pine, but the body core (chambered) was made from planks of Douglas Fir.

The second one came 6-1/2 years later (they are now dubbed "Firecaster I" and "Firecaster II"). But there was no more Doug Fir to be had for a build, so the top & back veneers are made from that same salvaged Long Leaf Pine, and sandwiched in between (again, chambered) is basswood, stained walnut to provide a complementary contrast to the lighter, amber hue of the natural LLP. They both have the same unique provenance.

But they are different from one another in appearance, hardware and pickups. Firecaster I has Bob Logan's stainless steel bridge plate, Keystone pickups, and Bill Lawrence's 5-way switching. The control plate is also ss, with domed knobs.

Firecaster II also has Bob Logan's ss bridge plate, but the pickup alignment is straight, not slanted. It has DiMarzio Twang King pickups, a 4-way switch and flattop knobs, and the control plate is rear mounted. This one is my #1 right now, in terms of gigging.

So even though they're both equally unique in their similarities and differences, if pressed to say one of the two is my most unique, it's Firecaster II.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

1 out of 50, I doubt they even made that many

SoK66 likes this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Not counting my own projects, it's my #1: Fender Custom Shop one off Esquire. It was made to custom specs, so I doubt there's another just like it. That's it in my avatar. White guard N.O.S. '50s reissue, Desert Sand, birdseye neck.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Otis Fine likes this.
  8. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

My #1 is also my most unusual; a 25.5" scale tribute to the Ovation Breadwinner. I've posted it a few times on this forum. I'll post pictures when I change something. I'd really like to change the pickguard to black or black pearloid, don't know which yet.

9. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I bought the loaded body from the engraver almost ten years ago, fitted a neck I imported from the states, and here she is;

upload_2020-4-16_1-26-4.jpeg upload_2020-4-16_1-29-0.jpeg

drmordo, AAT65, Teisco88 and 9 others like this.
  10. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Bought this about 6 years ago from the original owner. 1984 Guitar Trader of Red Bank NJ "Special".

20200415_205718_resized.jpg

20200415_205817_resized.jpg

11. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Meister

The engraving is amazing on this wow! What a cool guitar!

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I bought my American 78 strat for some rediculous coins , so I thought "ehat would it cost to build my own? " this was the outcome
    A luthier friend of mine built the neck for me, and I populated it with reflex red dots out of england and did a custom switching and added a 0-6-12 Db preamp to the neck single coil and the art neuveau lady was one of the earings I gave my Mother when I was young and was returned to me after she passed ebony fret board and fantastic sound !

P1011377.jpg

drmordo, AAT65, Censport and 2 others like this.
  13. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Pine offset complete1.jpg
    Sapele1.jpg

14. MyLittleEye

MyLittleEye TDPRI Member

Ha! That bottom one is just begging you to windmill it like Pete Townsend!

15. MyLittleEye

MyLittleEye TDPRI Member

I'm kind of drawn to it and repelled both at the same time!

16. Teisco88

Teisco88 TDPRI Member

IMG_20200417_001531[1].jpg
    Late 70's. You won't believe the tones that come out of this cheap old thing.

drmordo, Fendereedo and Otis Fine like this.
  17. wyman101

wyman101 TDPRI Member

How do these play and sound? They seem pretty cheap in price and have some mojo to them.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  18. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

bit Prince? can we see the headstock

19. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

An Erlewine Lazer, bought it in 1985 because I was starting a new job with a German company, and would have to live in Germany for four months. Too long to go without a guitar, and this one fit in the overhead bin! Disclaimer: This is not my guitar, mine is a single pickup model that I modified with an EMG 58 (Not an 85!) pickup. Mine is silver, and I don't feel like going to my meager guitar vault, finding it, and posting an actual picture. It's a cool little guitar with a full scale length.

[​IMG]

drmordo, hemingway and Otis Fine like this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

You asked the right guy, me!
    Ok:
    First of all Danos ( at least vintage style) are super light and comfy to play ( I think mine is under 6 lbs., maybe 5.5)

- mine ( a RI from mid '90's) has a fat round (comfy) C shaped neck, with jumbo frets, 12" radius, and thick RW fingerboard- it plays string bending/ vibrato similar to a Gibson

- Controls - 2 Concentric Volume and Tone controls - honestly for ease of use ( not that there aren't exceptions) during gigs, I keep both Tone controls all the way up, leave PU switch in middle position ( both ON) and just manipulate/shade Bass>Treble using Volume knobs
    - Lipstick ( case) pickups are awesome-

Just what I hear:

when run clean ( I use clean Fender or Vox amps+ OD pedal) the Dano can sound clean and twangy, like a Tele in all 3 positions, but with less output and sustain- but great for rhythm, old Country lead work, R&B- great chunk with both pickups ON and you palm mute low strings- huge and full

- with a little bit of dirt, this guitar turns into a fat Gibson hollow body with P-90''s into a tweed. Turning a clean tone in a dirty direction, but not losing it. Fun rockabilly/Swing blues tone. I love putting Neck PU ON, but pick over bridge PU- very T-,Bone Walker- nasally

- with more OD and Gain, I can get into Bluesbreakers, Cream tone-

( so I play all old stuff)

** Honestly it's all inside the Dano uf you have one, a clean amp, and a way to make it dirty. A BLAST to play!

Edit: I replaced stock tuners after 2-3 years with mini- Grovers, fine!
    - no issues with intonation/ buzzing with that Rosewood saddle/ bridge

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.