What’s Your Local Guitar Store Like?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kelleycaster, Feb 10, 2020.

1. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I just picked my 339 up from Alpha about 2 hours ago. Finally got the volume to not absolutely die after turning it down past 9 so that was nice. I get probably 98% of my stuff there

The other store you were talking about has got to be Moe's. I don't see how they stay open either . There is, maybe was by now, a Music Go Round by Lynnhaven Mall and Music and Arts also by Lynnhaven and one in Kempsville but those seem to be geared towards school band stuff. A few guitars and pedals though

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 8:48 PM
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Here there is the big box stores around the cities and hour in either direction and a couple depressing small shops although a couple years ago I discovered my favorite local music shop over in the next county that’s been family owned for 30 years or so and best of all they are fender dealers, bought all my new fenders there since finding them

Greggorios likes this.
  3. REWTX

REWTX Tele-Meister

Tone Shop in Addison is awesome. Great selection and nice, knowledgeable folks. Texas that is....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    Greggorios likes this.
  4. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Bad, basically.

There's several Guitar Centers, which I find awful to actually shop in but I enjoy having that many guitars in one place to view.

The stores that actually have potential ( semi-comfortable, inviting, non-awful decor, knowledgeable staff ) want way, way too much money for what they have, which is kind of meager and and not usually current. Their used offerings are clearly picked-over, the good stuff never seems to make it out of the back room I suspect.

So they pump up the prices even further on accessories, which is the only reason I'm there. And it's really only when I didn't order online in time or have an entire day to kill and I'm bored.

Pawn shops used to be a favorite, but it's been a LONG time since I saw anything I'd even consider. Again, the back room.

I've given up. They can't compete on price or selection, and I'm not made of money. I'd support them if I could.

I'd rather save time and fuel and purchase online from places and people with favorable return and return shipping policies. It's sad, I grew up being able to shop at Elderly. Mass Street music is nearby and I'll go there if I need a repair or tech support from someone I trust with something I can't do myself.

Sorry for going so negative, and yes I am crabby about it.

5. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

I'm double lucky, being a Nashville Native who lives part-time in Tokyo. In addition to the famous stores already mentioned, there's also World Music Nashville and Corner Music (which moved to Dickerson Pike after decades in the old location). I've built up a relationship with those two stores over the decades. I've known George Gruhn since the mid-80s, when he was over by the Ryman and I was at Hewgleys Music Shop on Commerce Street. We'd go to lunch and talk about whether vintage solid body electrics were going to skyrocket in value like vintage Martin and Gibson acoustics. He didn't seem to think so at the time, but I did (but didn't like it).

In Tokyo, we have the Ochanomizu area, which famously has the world's highest concentration of music stores. Of course, everything is concentrated in Tokyo. There are also several good shops in Shinjuku. One where I've built up a relationship is TC Gakki, just around the corner from Shin-Okubo train station. They're on Reverb too, so you don't have to make the trip or learn Japanese to buy from them.

Yeah, Bailey Brothers is a great store. Likely the best in the state.

gwjensen likes this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Most of my stuff I get online, but I go to the Sacramento Guitar Center on occasion which is like 15 minutes away. I'd rather take my business to a good smaller store, but I don't know of one. It's like they all went out of business.

7. James Hall

James Hall TDPRI Member

My local store is Mountain Music Exchange. Awesome place! Always try to give you a good deal!

8. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

I used to enjoy the guitar centers but lately they havent been the same. I think they are all going broke.

The local higher end shops are hard to get them to let you handle the stock yourself, they take the lock off it and plug it up and show you how it sounds.

I went to Fullers and asked to see a Martin behind the counter and the guy stood there n pointed at it like a stupid looking Vanna White. you get the idea . He wasnt going to take it off the wall and let me handle it.. fine never went back and hope you read this you geeetar salesmen of the year you aint selling sheeit like that you moron with a mustache so big that its clouding your senses.

so it sucks here my town :)

9. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Yup. This is my goto store nowadays. I live a few miles away, and they have a selection like few others locally. The tech work from the co owner John is exceptional.

I do miss Manor Music Mansion, though. It was a great crazy old school store w tons of cheap gear, off brands and an owner who just loved music.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

10. Redstar15

Redstar15 NEW MEMBER!

Willies American Guitar in St. Paul, MN. Check out their website. We are lucky.

11. TelenTubes

TelenTubes TDPRI Member

We have a Tarpley's here and a Guitar center, and one decent pawn shop that's fun to check in on.

Tarpley's takes all of their guitars and sets them up a bit. If you play two of the same model guitar, one at Tarpley's and one at GC, you will end up buying the one at Tarpley's. Bought my Vox AC15 from them as well as my last three guitars since the price difference is usually less than $20 and the guitars have had some attention paid to them.

12. sardinista

sardinista Tele-Meister

Dunno.

13. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Like a modern video game room sadly. When you walk in there is only a handful of people and all of them are young teens just tripping over stuff and making noise while the employees try to hide. The selection isn't bad, but it is very difficult to shop or carry a conversation with an employee with 12 year olds fiddling with knobs trying to find out how loud an amplifier can get. I can't stand being in there more than about 15 minutes....get in, but what I need, and get out.

Greggorios likes this.
  14. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

There may be 2-3 other stores in the greater Corpus Christi area other than those I frequent, but there are three main options in this town. Well, for me, just two: one I call "Bad Vibrations," and I just refused to give them any more of my business about a decade ago. That leaves the local GC and Clawson's Music. Regarding the former, I've bought a couple of guitars there over the years, and a powered speaker, and a lot of guitar strings. But my first choice is always Clawson's Music.

Clawson's had humble beginnings back in the '60s, thanks in no small part to the singing career of Barbara Clawson. She toured with her husband Bob in the band as "Barbara Clawson and the Nashville Beats." She had a hit back in the '60s with "One Bud Wiser." (I haven't heard Gretchen Wilson's version.) Royalties from her records helped get the local business going. After their first building was devastated in Hurricane Celia, they moved to their present location in the mid '70s.

Bob Clawson is like a year younger than my Dad would have been, so I always address him as "Mr. Clawson." His son Robert has always been "Bubba." And Bubba's son Bobby is in the family business, too. I've bought from all three of them over the years: guitars, amps, a PA, accessories and lots of strings.

When I go into the local GC, it's not an uncommon occurrence that not a single staffer even acknowledges my presence. (In fairness, one guy name Jason knows me there. But the rest of the staff don't know me, and don't seem to care if I buy from them or not.)

At Clawson's, OTOH, whether it's Bob, Bubba or Bobby, they all know me on sight, and engage me directly. And one staffer named "Storm" (I refuse to believe that his mama named him that, but whatever), is very attentive and helpful as well. Clawson's is to Corpus Christi music stores what Cheers is to Boston bars. It's the place "where everybody knows your name." :twisted:

[​IMG]

gwjensen, MattyK-USA and stevemc like this.
  15. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

It’s a guitar center with neckbeards playing weedilly weedilly while a salesdude tries to sell someone’s parents an extended warranty on a ****ty Ibanez starter pack.

Don’t misunderstand me. I still love going there lol.

16. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Yup those are the ones I never go to. I bought a Concert Amp at Music Go Round. Forgot to mention them. Have mixed emotions with Alpha. I did buy my American standard in 96. Music and arts is basically GC light.

17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

This is an interesting thread. It seems like major cities and music hubs have lots of good options. Medium cities and suburban areas have big box chains. Rural areas and small towns still have good independent shops.

Here there are quite a few GC and Sam Ash, which dominate. A few specialty shops. The mom and pops that hang on do so by catering to school band instruments and lessons. I give them credit, it’s tough. But guitar inventory is very small.

I do have nostalgia for the olden days. In the small city where I grew up, we had two music stores. One had Gibson, the other had Fender. Smallish but good inventory of stuff, but very attentive staff, and they were legitimate hangout spots. Sort of the complete opposite experience from GC.

Sometimes I appreciate the fact that GC staff leave you alone. But I would no sooner choose to “hang out” there than I would at my local Walmart.

18. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Amazing stock. Lovely store, many tryout rooms, vintage stuff. Super chilled.

Shockingly expensive.

gwjensen likes this.
  19. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Our closest guitar store is Guitar Center, in Asheville, NC. Need I say more? :rolleyes:

Not the greatest environment to sit down and tune your instrument, let alone practice your scales! :confused:

20. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I remember Manor Music and have missed it since the owner retired. I forget the guy's name, but when I first met him and told him I was from across the river, he said he used to have a regular gig in my hometown at a bar called the Duke Hotel. I damn near fell over. My grandfather and my dad owned the Duke Hotel. He knew both my grandfather and my dad and told me some stories. Nice guy. And he gave me a pretty decent deal on Gretsch Duo Jet.

Damn, if only I could remember his name...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.