What’s Your Local Guitar Store Like?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kelleycaster, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Kelleycaster

Kelleycaster TDPRI Member

I’m Spoiled.

I live close to Nashville TN, so when I decide to drop by the local guitar store, I have several options. My first choice is usually Gruhn Guitars. THE Gruhn Guitars where nothing is locked up, and they encourage you to try out a $20,000 56 Telecaster or pre-war Martin acoustic. Everyone there is nice, and some people who are trying out guitars like to jam together spontaneously. Carter Vintage Guitars is another legendary store right down the road that currently has THE strat used to record Sweet Home Alabama, along with many other amazing vintage instruments. There are also two Guitar Centers as well as several smaller music stores in the area. Even the used book store had a $1,200 PRS in it the other day!
    If you search “guitar” in my local Craigslist, it takes hours to look through all the pages.

I hope this isn’t depressing to anybody! I’m just super lucky and curious about what YOUR guitar store options are.

Greggorios, idjster, stevemc and 10 others like this.
  2. Fendarr

Fendarr TDPRI Member

Unfortunately I have to drive 50 miles to the nearest “real guitar store”. I do rack up the miles on my car doing so, though.

Danjabellza likes this.
  3. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've a good one:
    Portland Music Company. The only place I'd do business with in Pdx.

Been around forever. Honest (unlike another 'not box store' hereabouts) and well suppied.

warrent likes this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We have Long & Mcquade here in Kamloops they treat me very well , I have been dealing with them since I was 17,

one day about 10 years ago I went into the Vancouver store and the sales rep remembered my first purchase a mini moog model D and my name, I was impressed !

5. Jared macneill

Jared macneill TDPRI Member

None existing. It’s a good hour car drive to the music store and I can’t drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Holt likes this.
  6. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

In Los Angeles, local has several different meanings. The closest stores to me are a very fine Guitar Center with very nice people, McCabes in Santa Monica, and Boulevard Music in Culver City. They are all very nice.

Norm's Rare Guitars is in the Valley or over the hill as we say and I almost never go that way. It is only about 20 miles but in Los Angeles terms, it is a major excursion usually requiring a local guide and a packed lunch.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    fishermike likes this.
  7. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I am unbelievably fortunate in terms of a local guitar store. I work within a 5 minute walk of Emerald City Guitar. They are reputable, personable, competent, knowledgeable and have the most amazing inventory I've ever seen. That's about as good as it gets.

DavidM1, Fiesta Red and NewKid like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Two states and a time zone away for me. My wife, the bass player and I make a sojourn to Spokane (3 hour drive in the summer and can be much longer in the winter) about twice a year for a long weekend just to cruise the guitar store/pawn shops.

However, now that our GAS is less and much more focused, we try to do a 1000 mile drive to our favorite guitar stores in Portland, OR. ... at least once a year. Then we hang out on Alberta Strret.:cool:

Toadtele and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  9. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have 4 GC's within 15 minutes of my house. 35 minutes and I'm in LA. There are a few shops there too. I'm good.

20170415_145153.jpg

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I loved McCabe's when I lived in LA. Hope that store sticks around forever. I don't have anything like that where I live, but the little Main Street Music shop is surprisingly good. Mostly oriented to acoustics and folk instruments, the father-son that own it are super great, prices reasonable, range of stuff for the size of the shop. Just yesterday I poked my head in, and they had a very-used, one might say reliced, 1980 Gibson The Paul with a sloppily repaired headstock break for $500. I played it for a sec and the action and frets seemed great and it seemed to hold tune just fine. If I had a spare $500 laying around, honestly I would take it.

11. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

I am fortunate to have 6 music stores that I can think of off the top of my head within short distance to my location to choose from, two of them being Guitar Centers. There used to be several more but many have gone out of business over the years.

It's those of you who live miles from any kind of music store that I think of every time I read one of those "Guitar Center bashing" posts. Just having the luxury of being able to walk into a local shop and look at a good variety of guitars, gear etc is something to not be taken for granted.

I have relatives in Portland and have been to the Portland Music Company on a past visit. It is a really nice store. The next time I'm up there I'm planning to check out Five Star Guitars in Beaverton. It's pretty near where my relatives live but I never knew about it when I was there previously. I recently bought a guitar from them online.

rolandson likes this.
  12. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I dunno, I haven't been in one around here yet. GC is about 5 min away (by car). I don't know of any others in the area.

When I lived in TN, Gruhn's was my go-to. In Huntsville, AL, it was The Fret Shop...or Harmony Music (both primarily acoustic).

13. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

My local guitar store is like my local book store, but it sells guitars.

John Owen likes this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

It's long gone ( actually 5-6 good local NoVa stores)
    Thanks, GC

( I'm not talking about ' B Team' Family or Music and Arts Shops that are still around)

15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

We have a GC and and local mom and pop guitars shops.

There's NEVER EVER any deals to be had and the selection is kinda Meh.

I frequent pawnshops almost exclusively because a lot of the musicians spend good money on guitars here, and some of them end up there.

I've been luck to score a lot of amazing deals on high end quality used guitars in the area pawnshops.

There's not a guitar shop in the US that could touch any of my better scores.

I buy some guitars for less than what guitar center would offer me for these guitars if I sold it to them.

In recent years, I'm kinda lost interest in frequenting guitar shop in my area because my collection of used guitars is better than most have to offer.

Even if they did have something good, it'd be WAY overpriced anyway.

16. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

You betcha' these guys are really great !
    423 40th St
    Oakland, CA 94609

OPEN
    Tues. - Sat. 11am - 7pm
    Sunday 12pm - 5pm
    Monday Closed
    https://brokenguitarsoakland.com/

17. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

The only one here in town is pretty much Ibanez and Peavey.
    The closest decent store other that GC is about an hour and 20 away.

18. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm partial to Keith Holland Guitar Hospital, and two Starving Musicians about 20 minutes away in different directions.

3 GCs and Guitar Showcase also nearby.

Bill likes this.
  19. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

20. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Meister

Yes you are definitely spoiled. Last time I was in Gruhn, I played an $8k Martin. What a great store!

I have a Guitar Center and a family owned music store to choose from. In the family owned music store you have to ask for permission before you can try out an instrument. They even have signs up. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I don’t frequent that store too often. I’m also not a big fan of GC, so it’s usually a road trip to Chicago for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.