What’s Your Favourite Logical Fallacy - the one you’re a sucker for?

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
Favorite, like the one that sets me off the most? Argument from authority is a pretty good one. "Experts say..."

Bosh. Show the data and the methodology. In the modern era, "experts say" is often code for "I don't have any good argument to justify this, but you shouldn't object because I really want this."
Or the recently popular "many may say" - it gets you off the hook for telling a whopper.

No accountability or credible proof, but your audience will eat it up as a fact.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The one I respect/marvel at the most ?

The prevailing one of our time of course !

But it always makes me feel really bad , not about the marks/suckers but - about myself.

Because there’s a little man inside my brain that is shouting at top volume :

“you imbecile! If all those people would believe that , just think what else they would believe, and how much money somebody with a ready con could have made! But that’s not you, loser !” 😂🤣😩
Agreed! All it takes is a bit of charisma and people will flock.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
that just because X is logically invalid does not make it untrue

logical validity is a preservative, not a guarantee

I remember trippin' at the Alabama Swampmasters Festival with a bunch of folks gathered around this small stage where Timothy Leary and Baba Ram Dass were discussing their separate trips to the mountaintop and I swear one of them said those exact words. I can't remember the context. I can't remember if I was wearing pants. I do remember this one lady with two huge blimps that had Goodyear tattooed on their sides. Were you there too? Do you remember which one said it? A have blank spots from that time period so sometimes I remember Grace Slick starting a song but then remember Janis Joplin finishing it. I think. Maybe.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Carlin put it well when he said, “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
You might be disclosing the closest thing I have to a trade secret. After hard work and my wife I give pretty much all credit for any success to aiming to beat means and medians.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Or the recently popular "many may say" - it gets you off the hook for telling a whopper.

No accountability or credible proof, but your audience will eat it up as a fact.

You just need to find the right audience. *Shakes head*

In 1984, George Orwell stressed that if you tell a lie, it should be a big one. Just repeat it. Psychology shows that even if someone knows it's a lie, they become less sure for the retelling.

Last edited:

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
I remember trippin' at the Alabama Swampmasters Festival with a bunch of folks gathered around this small stage where Timothy Leary and Baba Ram Dass were discussing their separate trips to the mountaintop and I swear one of them said those exact words. I can't remember the context. I can't remember if I was wearing pants. I do remember this one lady with two huge blimps that had Goodyear tattooed on their sides. Were you there too? Do you remember which one said it? A have blank spots from that time period so sometimes I remember Grace Slick starting a song but then remember Janis Joplin finishing it. I think. Maybe.
hmm, well, I would've been 3