What’s your favourite breed of dog?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Frank'n'censed, Jun 13, 2019.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Love 'em all. Have had a number of varieties and mixes in my life. Raised with Labs, and all things being equal, that's what I'll rescue next. Have also lived with basset hounds, jack russell, weimaraners, and cattle dogs. Mrs. Teletimetx is a confirmed australian cattle dog nut, so that's what's been in the house for the last ten years or so.

Just said goodbye to one of my favorites. Gibson. Sweetest dog. Best guess is that he was a mix of mostly cattle dog and German short hair; but all heart. Had many, many good walks.

Gibson near Boulder v2.jpg

We're down to one dog at the moment - Lilou. She's been a project dog - took two months for her to accept being on a leash. Now she gets to walk 3 or 4 times a day. She's very sweet once she gets to know you; but she's not oversold on humans. Mistreated and abandoned. Humans never fail to disappoint...
    Here she is at her favorite time - meal time!

Attached Files:

2. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Billie my black lab puck retriever

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I like mutts.

My current dog is a Silky Terrier...I’m afraid he’s not gonna be with us too much longer. His breed usually lives around 12-13 years, and he’s at least 15. He’s half-blind, half-deaf, arthritic and weak. He appears to have had a stroke. We might have to put him down soon.

I’m gonna miss this lil’ dude.

Shuster, Chinacat, farmcaster and 9 others like this.
  4. Teleka

Teleka TDPRI Member

I like all dogs
    Here's Brownie, a rescue mutt, with a couple of namesakes in the background IMG_4381 (1).jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Shuster, Jim622, Chinacat and 13 others like this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nicely curated!

6. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Over the years in our family we've carefully restricted ourselves to whatever breeds are available at the pound when we're dog shopping, and most of our dogs have been a genetic scramble. Usually our dogs are on the large side. The last three were what I've heard called "the ubiquitous black dog with white markings".

Each of our dogs carved a place in the hearts of each of us, as dogs do with people. I don't think that has anything to do with breed lines.

However: dogs ago we brought home from the pound a small dog my daughter named Toby. If he wasn't purebred, the lhasa apso in him was strong enough to make him appear so. These dogs were bred as palace guards for ancient Chinese nobility, our research told us. The palace dogs were kept in packs of dozens at a time, and would even attack wolves to protect their masters.

Toby "sounded the alarm" any time a stranger approached, growling politely if the transgressor was on foot and we were in public, barking sharply if a car came up the lane. Also he stayed by the side of whoever he was with, no matter where we went. When we took walks, Toby would disappear into the brush, and stay unseen for long periods, but he reappeared often enough (especially if other people came around) that we knew he was always "with" us. I used to say that if we were to walk to Roseburg, we might not see him the whole time, but he'd be with us when we got there.

One Christmas morning our neighbor called. His dog, a husky/wolf mix, had "gotten off its chain" and meandered up the lane. Toby had sounded, and had torn in to the big dog. One grab and shake, Toby was dead. It was a sad end for sure, and it messed up our Christmas, but there was something very noble about it.

We're down to our last "granddog" now (I call them that because they always come to us from our kids who get them then move off and leave them with us), and when Rudy is gone I doubt that we'll get another dog. If we do, though, I'll lobby for a lhasa apso. A dog that is anything like Toby would make a great trailer-traveling companion.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Shuster, Chinacat and teletimetx like this.
  7. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic

B7F01EEF-76C8-4BC1-9C98-2848C2464DBD.jpeg 82C1F908-814B-4BBC-993E-C70BB91B71C5.jpeg

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That might be one of the best pictures ever posted here .

9. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

Olive
    Flat Coated Retriever
    IMG_5403.JPG

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a mental block against dogs that have bitten me and I know it’s wrong but that’s the way it is.

Shout out to Toby, the dog we had for the longest time in the 70’s / 80’s.

A mutt for the ages. Irish Setter mixed w/ something fast as hell. He’d race motorcycles down our Detroit city block.

He and my Mom were inseparable.

Toby ! Good Boy !

11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

We've had a half-dozen over the last 31 yrs. All were rescue/humane society except the first three. Roxanne (Shepherd mix), Cricket (Border collie), Blondie (Beagle mix), Cleo (Rat Terrier), Jake (pitch-black German Shepherd), Skye (Brittany mix), Rocket (Pyrenees mix). Rocket is our "last dog". We've decided to opt out for retirement. Once Rocket is gone, we're done.

Hard to call a favorite. They were all great. Blondie (beagle) was dumb as a box of rocks. She was sweet but I've never met a more brainless dog. I had to take each and every one to the vet for their last trip. I cried like a baby when I had to put Jake down due to DM (degenerative myelopathy). Rocket is the friendliest dog we've ever had, loves people. He doesn't get along with other dogs...got an F on his 'daycare' report card and wasn't invited back. :rolleyes:
    Here's a pic of Rocket at the vet...
    rocket.jpg

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think your bridge is missing you.

Shuster likes this.
  13. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

I Love All Dogs!!
    Love You Mookie!

Mookie in the City.jpg

Shuster, Chinacat, teletimetx and 7 others like this.
  14. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

100+ pounds of rescue Lab. His name is Chollie.

He likes to lick Telecasters and chew on pieces of wood. So far he has not combined the two. He likes lots of toys.

92FD90A7-A19D-407D-926C-DCF7F97EBA92.jpeg 86269EB3-FD3A-40C7-9D77-B228E921B240.jpeg

331C180B-691C-49EB-A333-C6B9D56CEEE1.jpeg

87C73613-201E-4147-836E-02DD2321675A.jpeg

Shuster, Chinacat, LGOberean and 10 others like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

This gentleman right here. He was my best pal, and I will never, ever, have another friend like him. Friends like him only come around once in a lifetime. I love you Toto, may you rest in peace. I hope to see you again one day.

dogs 007[2549].JPG

16. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Sweet lookin’ roadie!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful and funny!
    My brother has one too, Charlie!

18. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

I like my dogs like I like my Teles: a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and definitely not in stock original condition!

That said, I love pugs and have had two pug mixes.

Shuster, Chinacat and RoyalBaby like this.
  19. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve heard that song somewhere before?

20. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

BCD90232-003F-4F78-96C3-832C10CE3795.jpeg Love the Labrador Retrievers

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.