What’s your favorite hot sauce?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockinvet, Sep 15, 2020.

1. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Valentina Salsa Picante for splashing on taco's, eggs, hashbrowns, etc. Pace Medium Picante for dipping chips.

Rockinvet likes this.
  2. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic

Primarily Cholula, often Tabasco. Warehouse stores usually have one or both... easy to stock up on and I put Cholula on dang near everything. Trader Joe's Jalapeno sauce is also great. I'll get something new if it looks interesting, but the expense of the boutique brands makes it a little tough to buy regularly. $8 for 6 ounces of something I slather on is not really cost-effective.

Sriracha... man, I dunno. Works here and there (for me, exclusively on Asian dishes) but I'm over it. The container I have of it just sits unloved in the pantry.

Rockinvet likes this.
  3. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Meister

I love the Mrs. Renfro Green Hot Salsa:
    [​IMG]
    They recently redesigned the label:
    [​IMG]

twangdude and Rockinvet like this.
  4. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Franks is my standby. Learned to love it in the Navy, there was a bottle on every table.

I've also been making my own, a mixture of Russian dressing, Franks, and red pepper flakes! Got this recipe from the Cheers restaurant.

A thumbs-up for Mrs. Renfro's as well, especially when i don't feel like chopping fresh jalapenos for a recipe.

Rockinvet likes this.
  5. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

Thanks for your support!

6. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

Yes sir, the Anchor lounge! Is it still there? Used to go there when we were on the Road in Buffalo. The real buffalo wings were born there!

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Cholula on eggs (scrambled, not on fried eggs) and Tex-Mex food. A good Louisiana hot sauce on chili or red beans and rice etc., I'm using Crystal at present because it's cheap.

I use the clear pepper/vinegar sauce on vegetables like lima beans and purple hull peas, and I only recently started doing that. My grandparents always had a bottle on the table, but I didn't develop a taste for it until my advanced age. :D

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Louisiana Hot Sauce. Tangy, flavorful, not too hot.
    Cholula is good too.

9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

There are too many hot sauces with heat but no flavor -- may as well just use pepper spray on your food. Here are my favorites -- each has a use:

Frank's Red Hot -- Just a great everyday hot sauce and my favorite with fried catfish and grits.
    Sriracha -- love it with Ramen and other Asian dishes
    Tapatio -- love it with any Mexican or Tex/Mex dishes

. . . and that's about it. I hate tabasco -- it's got decent heat, but has a vinegary/watery taste to me. It's somehow both hot and bland at the same time -- yuck!

M2roadwarrior and Rockinvet like this.
  10. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Tapatio and Cholula are my go to's, but the Smoked Chipotle Tabasco is also pretty good. If you haven't had it on a slice of pepperoni pizza, you're missing out.

And of course, Sriracha in a bowl of good ramen or on Spam musubi is awesome.

Rockinvet likes this.
  11. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jimmysticks, bottled in Petersburg, Il. Smokey Red or take it up with Extra Hot Smokey Red. I'm big on the Chocolate Habanero.

Heat + flavor.
    IMG_20200916_124546584.jpg

Rockinvet likes this.
  12. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Got some REALLY hot but tasty stuff from my favorite local Thai restaurant, can't begin to tell you what it s because most of the letters on the label aren't even in our alphabet! It may be Thai or it may be Laotian. But it's good stuff. Can't seem to find it online.

I like it hot, but only if it has flavor. I bought a quart of salsa from a Mexican gal at work one time, brought it home and cracked it open and not only did it almost burn my mouth off, it had no flavor. The rest of it went down the drain. It cleaned out my pipes, and my plumbing too LOL.

You gotta understand one thing about Franks: SALT! Very high in sodium so I need to limit myself to just a few drops.

scrapyardblue and Rockinvet like this.
  13. A-440

A-440 NEW MEMBER!

After reading Billy G has his own branded hot sauce Whisker Bomb i ordered the two offerings. Whisker Bomb is a lot like Gringo Bandito but sweeter and the Whisker Bomb Hot is a hotter Tabasco but each has its own secondary flavors. IN both cases its Has Not improved my guitar playing a bit. Crap!

Rockinvet likes this.
  14. rockhound

rockhound TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Valentina and Tapatio for me.

KS6V and Rockinvet like this.
  15. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Sambal Oelek

Rockinvet likes this.
  16. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Secret Aardvark Habanero Hot Sauce

Tomatoes (Tomatoes And Fire Roasted Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride), White Wine Vinegar, Carrots, Water, Yellow Onion, Habanero Chili Pepper (Habanero Chili Peppers, Water, Salt, Citric Acid), Mustard (Distilled Vinegar, Water, Mustard Seed, Salt, Turmeric, Spices), Organic Cane Sugar, Salt, Modified Food Starch, Garlic, Sunflower Oil, Herbs And Spices.

7519671.jpg

Rockinvet likes this.
  17. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I make my own: Darkwaters Diablo Sauce. Hot and spicy !

Rockinvet likes this.
  18. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

My dad grew peppers back in the '50s and made his own hot sauce.

My father in law lived ~5 miles from Hatch, New Mexico. He would give us huge bags of various dried peppers to take back to Houston.
    I used them in cooking and made my own sauces. Its not difficult when you have good peppers.

I actually prefer fresh pico de gallo which also is easy and cheap to make.

Yum.

M

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  19. johmica

johmica Tele-Meister

Zombie Apocalypse was my favorite for the longest time, but I recently discovered Bravado Spice's Black Garlic Carolina Reaper sauce, and it has claimed the mantle. Delicious.

My wife's favorite is Hellfire's Detroit Hot Sauce. I do like Hellfire's Fear This!; it's in my top 5.

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Couldn't stand it, so I headed out to get some of my fav bbq hot sauce and a sandwich. Reddish clear from pepper, oily, flavorful and hot: upload_2020-9-16_18-50-52.png

Rockinvet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.