1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What’s your favorite guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Apr 19, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Obsessed likes this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

That’s a cool guitar! Since you used the fretboard from the Epi Les Paul, I assume it’s a 24.75” scale length? Nice work.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I did it using a hydro-dip method. There are several demos of it on YouTube.

The particular method I used was a large trash can filled with a water/borax solution. I had painted the body and headstock previously with a white undercoat. Then, spray paints of various colors were sprayed onto the surface of the water where the borax was a surfactant. This allows the paint to float for a short amount of time. The paints are swirled about with a small stick to create a pattern then the object is dunked in the water. Before it's pulled back out, the remaining paint is brushed away to prevent ruining the pattern. After the paint dried, I applied enough poly to protect the finish.

Here's what it looked like fresh out of the water.

ZtkuVYI.jpg

AAT65, gwjensen, dougstrum and 2 others like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've looked at those Dean Palomino's before and frankly I don't care much for them. They feel kind of toyish in my hands

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. It has a Gibson scale length.

I have one picture of me using the Les Paul live.
    Les Paul.JPG
    One thing I didn't like about that guitar is the fact that the binding bruised my arm, that's also the reason why I no longer own a Les Paul style guitar.

Still, I know who currently owns my Les Paul, since I made it a new neck and made it playable, perhaps I should approach the guy and get it back for sentimental reasons, I wrote a lot of songs on that guitar.

gwjensen and Jakedog like this.
  6. telemnemonics

Oh you are a cruel fickle guitar owner!
    The poor orphan needs your love!
    Oliver Twist!

7. telemnemonics

Oh you are a cruel fickle guitar owner!
    The poor orphan needs your love!
    Oliver Twist is calling!

Jakedog and blowtorch like this.
  8. blowtorch

I know that I'm totally the demographic for those, but like the Ibanez artcores, holding and playing one just doesn't do anything for me

telemnemonics and Jakedog like this.
  9. Jakedog

Yeah, I feel the same way. The original Dean guitars from the 70’s and 80’s knock me out. I’d love to have an original “Cadillac” or ML. But all the cheap import stuff with the Dean name on it from the last couple decades just don’t feel like good guitars. Kinda like BC Rich. The newer ones kinda look like BC Rich guitars, but compared to the stuff they made when Bernie was in charge? Fuggedabouddit.

I don’t understand all the Artcore love, either. I keep trying them. Some of them in the upper end of the line are “ok” guitars, but not great. When you get over $1k and get into the Artstar line of semi hollows, they’re outrageous guitars. Simply incredible. But I can’t afford them right now.

telemnemonics and blowtorch like this.
  10. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Even if that describes my favourite guitar?

sGeddes.png

mimmo and Jakedog like this.
  11. blowtorch

I've got two Cadillacs.I doubt that there is the original ones but they're still pretty cool

Jakedog likes this.
  12. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I pick this one up the most
    as73.JPG

Jakedog likes this.
  13. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

If the house is on fire, I’m taking this amazing acoustic made by a friend. Hands down the most exciting guitar I’ve owned, even putting a couple of 1930s Martins in second place.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P Thought, GGardner, gwjensen and 2 others like this.
  14. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

gwjensen, bradpdx and Jakedog like this.
  15. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

52 AVRI does it for me.

gwjensen, mimmo and Jakedog like this.
  16. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

For me right now it's a Martin D-15m all-mahogany acoustic guitar. It's nothing special to look at, and it's not the top of any line. But it's well-made, feels great, cuts pretty well in a living room pick, sits nicely in a recorded mix, can dial into a good amplified sound with a K&K pickup, and responds to my touch. It's not that Martin dread big-bass, sparkly-treble sound. It sounds more like an archtop with added bass, almost all fundamental tones, fewer overtones. I named it Son of Jawbone, after a junky plywood archtop Silvertone I used to have named Jawbone.

lousy13 and Jakedog like this.
  17. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This question makes me uncomfortable.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Oh man..have to use my 2014 SGJ, its on over 50% of my stuff....my Gibson Nighthawk is a versatile dream but these 2 things make me smile & i sit in front a Supro & just get lost..but the jazz is so versatile..ahh the jazz i guess JazzM out (2).jpg Duo sofa.jpg

gwjensen and Jakedog like this.
  19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I think they are available, and that allows folks to form an opinion. They are probably superior to most stuff hanging in stores, so they rate. I wouldn't knock them. I'd point out, they may not compare as well with the best guitars that aren't well represented in any store, much less GC, MF, etc.

When was the last time you saw a MIM or MIJ Standard in a store? Or, a 339? Or a D18V? But you will see dozens of CVs, Samicks, Jasmines, Yams, Recording Kings, etc.

20. Jakedog

Well, you can’t get MIJ Fender at most US dealers. But my local GC has pretty much all the MIM stuff, MIA stuff, lotsa high end Martin, Taylor, Gibson, etc. EBMM, Ibanez Prestige line (though not the hollow ones) and other good stuff. It’s not hard to find a nice guitar around here.

I don’t remember the last time I saw a Samick or a Jasmine in a store... I’ll bet it’s been nearly 20 years. Yamaha and Recording King are well represented. But I consider them pretty high quality stuff for their price point. I gig a Yamaha acoustic and I’m super happy with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.