What’s you favourite compilation?

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
I like Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits CD. The two new tracks off that CD, As Long As You Follow and No Questions Asked, should get more airplay.

I also own the 25 Years The Chain boxset that is now a collectors piece.

hekawi

Poster Extraordinaire
"Afterglow" is a collection of Crowded House rarities and b-sides. Great Stuff
Crowded-House-%E2%80%8E–-Afterglow-.jpg

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi everyone.

I mentioned that sometimes people hold compilation albums in low esteem. Or at least, that's my kind of impression. Maybe I was wrong. Or, if I was right, there has been a bucketload of evidence put forth here to argue the case that compilation albums can in fact be wondrous.

Thanks for the replies.

Pax/
Dean

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
A guitar buddy of mine ( a few years ago) gave me a 5-disc compilation of the the 'in-between band line up of Fleetwood Mac. ( he knew I dug Danny Kirwan, a new experience for me...)
5 discs from Then Play On ( last FM with Peter Green)to Mystery to Me ( Bob Welch) - some pretty good music, and some, well...
So, 1969-1974

Attachments

• 220px-Then_Play_On.jpg
    220px-Then_Play_On.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 220px-Baretreescd.jpg
    220px-Baretreescd.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 8

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
I found this T2 LP in a second hand record store when I was in highschool....

An all time fav LP now days.... somehow misplaced it and later found a Japanese CD reissue...
Hi.

I noticed a three CD set yesterday, with the other two discs being earlier demo albums or something.

Pax/
Dean

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

I remember buying this in HS and LOVED it! Not quite "Heavy Metal" but...

That's interesting, because, you know what, it just reminded me that I had some and saw several compilations when I was in high school that were "heavy metal" pretty much in title only. Maybe it was thing?

Pax/
Dean

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
No question, A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind. It's a series of remarkably cool compilations of very disparate psychedelic songs. They are mostly obscure but very cool songs I have never heard. The guys who put these together have amazing taste. I love these comps and am somewhat jealous how great they are and how great they sound.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
I was SO HAPPY when I got this in College, maybe 1977 - a little late to the 'ABB listening party I know, but made up for it! ( I already had a few later records)
Hi.

Ha, I was just about to buy this, after reading a few posts here. Then, literally finger on the mouse with the pointer hovering over "Purchase," I thought, hey, wait a minute.

And yes, a little digging around reveals that my friend who left me a bunch of stuff when he returned to the UK also left me this album, along with Brothers and Sisters.

Seriously, as I was searching and filling my cart, what was running kinda parallel through my mind in that kind of way that one thought leads to another was 'I wonder if anyone has bought an album because of this thread' => 'I wonder if anyone has ever bought an album they forgot they already have' => 'Hey, wait a sec!'

I guess in my case, it was didn't know I had.* But yeah, phew.

And, yay!

Pax/
Dean
* okay, I'm going to confess that more than once now I've e-mailed my friend saying 'Hey, guess what I just bought,' only to have him respond 'Idiot...'

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
SST comp From 1983

45320151765_57d97ed26f_k.jpg

Track-list
–Minutemen Paranoid Chant 1:19
–Minutemen The Maze 0:39
–Minutemen Boiling 0:56
–Minutemen Games 1:01
–Meat Puppets Tumblin' Tumbleweeds 2:02
–Meat Puppets Meat Puppets 1:37
–Saccharine Trust A Human Certainty 5:16
–Black Flag Nervous Breakdown 2:05
–Black Flag Jealous Again 1:49
–Black Flag I've Heard It Before 1:38
–Overkill (2) Hell's Getting Hotter 1:07
–Stains (3) Get Revenge 1:16
–Würm I'm Dead 3:23
–Hüsker Dü Real World 2:27
I had Blasting Concept Vol 2, which was all covers, if I remember correctly; Minutemen's version of "Ain't Talking About Love" was on that one. There was a cool St Vitus song on there too.

I had a bunch of blues compilations on cassette by John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins, Guitar Slim, and a bunch of other guys that I used to get when I was a kid at (of all places) the grocery store, all on no-name, foreign record labels. I'm certain that the artists probably never saw a dime of those sales, but exposed me to a lot of music that I otherwise wouldn't have heard.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
"Beautiful Dreamer." Songs of Stephen Foster.
Raul Malo sings that song, other artists like Alison Krauss, John Prine, Mavis Staples... and even Henry Kaiser, actually doing a beautiful instrumental.

Beautiful_Dreamer_(album).jpg

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi everyone.

I mentioned that sometimes people hold compilation albums in low esteem. Or at least, that's my kind of impression. Maybe I was wrong. Or, if I was right, there has been a bucketload of evidence put forth here to argue the case that compilation albums can in fact be wondrous.

Thanks for the replies.

Pax/
Dean
I think it depends on the particular compilation - its purpose. If the intent was to capture and provide good but somewhat underappreciated or unknown music, it can pay meaningful tribute to good art and be a beautiful thing. On the other hand, if it is just a “greatest hits” collection of already known music, it might be redundant and a money grab by the machine.

Brad Pittiful

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
the punk-o-ramas were awesome...i have the first 5...then couldnt find them but there are more

no thanks! the 70s punk rebellion...is a really cool group of songs...some i think...this isnt punk...oh well i like it nonetheless