What’s up with orange drop capacitor size? im upset

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Toadtele, Sep 21, 2018.

1. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Years ago I bought a pack of little, square, green .022 caps and I have never looked back. I like the .022s because they're a little less muddy than the .047s when you roll back the tone. I find they make the knob way more usable. I paid something like $5 for 20 or something silly like that (it was a long time ago I don't remember exactly).

2. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

The big ones look really cool, they make your guitar look real fearce and meaty, arrrrgggghhh (in a Tim Allen voice).

3. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I took your advise,

redundant
    [rɪˈdʌnd(ə)nt]
    ADJECTIVE
    not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous.

so voltage ratings are not needed or useful in guitars?

Also if you're going to enroll into the grammar police academy learn how to spell irrelevant, superfluous and inconsequential.

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

They should do but there is a rabbit hole filled with different capacitor types to explore which apparently have different sonic effects. So there's PIO type caps, Mallory brand, orange drop brand 715p series (now Dubilier), ceramic and other types and brands. Some people think there's a difference but I hear it.

5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Just to hopefully clarify, the reason a redundant thing is no longer needed is because another thing is already serving that purpose... which is not the case with the voltage rating, there’s only one of those. An example of a redundant phrase is “I was broke and had no money.”
    (Really not trying to be nitpicky, just informative.)

RomanS, Asmith and DugT like this.
  6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

wp_ss_20180922_0001.png

The word redundant literally means in excess, so that does apply to your example and all verbose phrases but it also applies to to scenarios that are described by definition 1. When I was replying I had the idea in my head that there are no general use capacitors out there with a voltage ratings that are below the requirements for a guitar so all capacitors in question have an excessive voltage rating so while the voltage ratings are needed in other applications when you take the same capacitors to guitar applications the voltage ratings are always going to be in excess. Which translated into my mind as redundant but I can see how it would be more clear cut to use a synonym.

Toadtele, DugT and RLee77 like this.
  7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Weirdest tone cap thread ever. And that's saying something, they all get weird at some point.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

You can get smaller 100volt caps, which I use. Using way overrated caps will do nothing really good or bad and not cost radically more but just waste real estate.

Really, 'Orange Drops' are now made by Vishay who own the Sprague trademark. You can also buy small yellow 'Mallory' caps - these are little and work. For vintage correct appearance by all means use 'Orange Drops' but like 'Sprague Atom' blue caps, they're just repackaged generic caps that cost dollars instead of cents and nothing to do with 'old ones'. Which were just bought in job lots because that's what was available at the time. Vishay worked out people would pay enough to make some cream off the top profit - good on them, I like to use their product in vintage amps to maintain appearance.

If you want to buy the wax paper or oil in can type, great. But you're likely succumbing to audio-psycho-visual confirmation bias. Fender just used whatever would do the job at the right price, amps or guitars. Waxed paper, then bumble bee poly, then ceramic disk.

I don't hear too many people complaining about 60's Tele, Strat or Les Paul tone.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    sonicsmitty likes this.
  9. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

The Orange Drop capacitor line is owned by Cornell Dubuillier. Sprague Barre Electrical (SBE) sold the line in 2012
    http://www.sbelectronics.com/2012/1...ge-drop-product-line-to-cornell-dubilier-cde/
    Until the sale in 2012 all Orange Drops were made in the Vermont by SBE or previous incarnations of the company.
    http://www.sbelectronics.com/about/key-milestones/
    I believe Vishay licensed the Orange Drop name for a time but the products were still made in Vermont by SBE. (For many years you could buy both SBE and Vishay branded Orange Drop capacitors.)
    Cornell Dubillier has moved production out of the US - my last batch were made in Mexico.

10. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

That explains the huge difference in tone! I'm going to buy all of the old higher quality USA caps and sell them as patriotic vintage nostalgia monopoly caps. :)

hellopike and Asmith like this.
  11. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

dsutton24 said:
    .....Cornell Dubillier has moved production out of the US - my last batch were made in Mexico.

Where did that quote come from?

Oh, I see, it's a fragment of another post you've attributed to me.

Thread keeps on getting weirder!

DugT likes this.
  12. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Sorry about that. I have no idea how I managed to accidentally attribute the quote to you instead of gsh1968. I'd try to fix it but I suspect you and gsh1968 don't mind.

13. DCW74

DCW74 Tele-Meister

I should sell these babies for real vintage tone! 20180921_073554-756x1008-567x756.jpg

14. ezra1

ezra1 TDPRI Member

Oil Caps

15. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

You forgot “don’ matta’ none”...

RLee77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.