What’s the rule on canceling gigs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Apr 14, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The wind thing sounds justifiable to me. It happens. Normally Bad etiquette for sure if there's no good reason. But really, if you try to do anything about it you will just hurt yourself. I've had a few bad ones:
    - NYE gig booked months in advance, 3 weeks prior the club decides to go with another band (internal club dispute). We're left without a NYE gig. I haven't played there since.
    -Showed up to a gig and it's double booked. Both times this happened were were there first and mostly setup. But felt bad for the other band.
    -I used to run a jam, they cancelled the jam after 2 years as we were setting up. One guy drives 1.5 hours for it.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

In saying, "or something like that," I was merely admitting that I didn't remember the details, that I was indeed going on memory, which was fuzzy. I felt like it was a good idea to reference your thread, since it dealt with one side of gig cancellation and had recently been posted. I thought it would be a familiar and good springboard for discussion, albeit from the other side of the cancellation coin. I seem to remember some comments disagreeing with your call, some comments even expressed what I would call criticism, which I didn't agree with. But none of that was me. In fact, I didn't comment on it at all, either in your thread or my OP here. No need to look for trouble from me.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I don't have many horror stories; I think I've generally been pretty fortunate over the years. However, there was one gig I showed up for a few years back that was a double booking, or appeared to be. I had played a restaurant that kept giving me work, and after a few isolated bookings, the owner decided to offer me a residency, on Friday nights.

So I showed up for my newly acquired residency, and so did another guy. Awkward! :oops:

I didn't try to "mark my turf" or get huffy with him or anything. I just double-checked with the owner, who assured me that it was me he wanted for that night, indeed, for the Friday night residency. I truly don't know what the situation was with the other guy; it wasn't any of my business. I don't know how matters got solved between them (or even if they did). It made for a few awkward moments, but ended okay for me, and hopefully for the other guy.

schmee likes this.
  4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

What they did wasn't right.
    Best to stay calm and move along.

Raising Hell won't get you anywhere.

But, the prospect is sure tempting!
    YEP!!!

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

yeah, I think on the first one we offered to share the gig but the other band just said "no problem, you're set up"

LGOberean likes this.
  6. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

What goes around, comes around...

Let it slide, but, if you are scheduled for another gig with the same place/manager you have until 2 hours before the show to cancel if need be.

7. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

There is no rule.
    Consider which way the money is flowing, and that's who drives the car.

8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Hey, LG! I did not have a chance to read all the replies, but...

I have a monthly solo gig that pays $100 to me if the venue cancels on short notice. At the same time I have to pay them $100 if I cancel. This is $150 bar gig with a contract.

I have plenty of other no contract gigs where anything goes :(

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    LGOberean likes this.
  9. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the kind explanation, again, I guess I'm still touchy about the whole thing. No need to try to take a bite outa you, my apologies.

LGOberean likes this.
  10. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Unless you work with a real contract, which few of us do, both players and venues have no recourse. Sure, we can complain, threaten, badmouth, etc., and maybe that gets some kind of response (other than resentment?) but I would never go that route myself. Few of us have any real leverage, so I don't see any benefit in arguing. In the instance mentioned here, the owner seemed (to me) to be honest and well-meaning, though a phone call should have paralleled the Facebook message, since not everyone lives on Facebook every waking minute.

LGOberean likes this.
  11. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

I wouldn't worry about it. Stay on their good side and pick up another gig from them another day. Gigs are getting short and no need in burning bridges these days.

I've cancelled gigs due to weather and band members personal issues. We book these events sometimes months in advance so we should expect conflicts of interest more times than we do but somehow 99.99% of the time we all make them work out.

Our last gig our drummer drove 17 hours straight to make the gig. Was it worth it? Probably not. We knew 3 weeks in advance he was going to be cutting it close. We played it by ear all the way till he pulled up to the venue. Texts of "where you at now?" going back and forth all day. One flat tire would have left us holding the bag. No one to call last minute, we probably should've bowed out when we realized 3 weeks prior he had a conflict that would have him out of the state.

I don't get the people who criticize others for having to cancel. I know cancelling a gig is a painstaking process when you finally reach the conclusion it's your only option.

Now if we only treated our families with the same sense of urgency..... How many times have we cancelled on them just to do this?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    beagle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.