1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What’s the deal with Rabbits/bunnies do you have them? Redeeming qualities?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Apr 20, 2021.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

We have one that we got kind of by default as a rescue. Our (now former) neighbors across the street had 6 of them that their teenage son was going to raise for breeding and selling the babies. He got bored with it and released these domestic rabbits. We caught this one when he had taken refuge in the bushes around our house. We assume these rest faced a grim fate from local predators.

Anyway, he's been a pretty good pet, not that destructive and affection enough so far as rabbits go. He's been good with using his litterbox area in the cage, even when the door is open. We do have rabbit-proofing around in the areas where he wanders and we keep an eye on him when he's out.

19347.jpeg

stepvan and Fretting out like this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Rabbit stew is good.
    I wanted to buy a few and cage them in the back yard for occasional stew, but Mrs Zepfan is a bit like Elly Mae and would name them all and cry when I get the hatchet.:lol:

stepvan and Fretting out like this.
  3. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I've had a bunch. They were all delicious!

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I have them in my yard quite often. I bang on the door when I let my dog out in the evening so they can make their escape.

Henley likes this.
  5. mally

mally Tele-Afflicted

I dont like the Smell when you Gut them :(

6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Way back when, my youngest had a lop eared rabbit. It was big as a cat and just as mean. We tried cages but he chewed his way out. We tried containing him in the cellar but one night he dug through the concrete floor and made a burrow. A week later he filled it in and started on a wall. So with wire cages not working and my wife not wanting tunnels in the basement, outside he went. I bought cinder block and buried a wall four feet deep and mortared two feet above the ground. He was contained well enough but we had no idea what was going on underground. A neighbor told us he was coming up in her yard eating her garden. Then one day we stopped seeing him. Maybe he kept running. I doubt a cat got him because they’re solitary hunters and the rabbit wouldn’t be an easy meal. We had no loose dogs in the neighborhood. I like to think it was a jail break.

We have rabbits in the neighborhood. We’ve had them for years. My wife shops in Whole Foods for carrots with tops to feed them. Another neighbor puts out hay for them. My dog wants to catch one. I wonder if they’re related to the one that got away.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    black_doug, fjblair and Fretting out like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

What’s this wall part? You made a wall in the yard and placed him on the other side?

So you’re responsible for the rabbit infestation!

stepvan likes this.
  8. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Timely thread as I saw someone walking a bunny today on a leash today. All I could think of was the bunny was lucky I wasn’t walking the dog at the moment. It was small enough for her to swallow it whole.

9. Fretting out

Must of been one of those dwarf bunnies

My moms got an albino dwarf, it scares me, you can see right to the back of it’s clear eyeballs
    It’s a vampire I swear! Thing darts out of the darkness only to disappear as fast as it came

I just picked this copy of bunnicula up from the library
    6934B6B1-10CB-4A61-8C2B-8504C3962859.jpeg

I tried to read it as a kid figured I’d give it another shot

trapdoor2 likes this.
  10. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Never had a pet rabbit, but I have kept guinea pigs which are somewhat similar animals. I know they get on well together.

The pigs I had were well mannered, affectionate, and quite a bit more intelligent than I think they get credit for.

Like rabbits, they do chew incessantly, and aren’t the hardiest of animals. Lifespans are short. Three to five years on average.

Get a dog

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Fretting out likes this.
  11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had no idea "Bunnicula" was anything other than an animated cartoon on Cartoon Network. Now I'll have to read the books!

Bunnicula.jpg

Fretting out likes this.
  12. Fretting out

Yeah it’s actually fairly old, it would have been more than 20 years the first time I saw it/tried to read it
    I didn’t realize how old it is though,was published in 1979

stepvan likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

stepvan likes this.
  14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

1979? I was 22. Unlikely to have been in the children's section of the library at the time... However, I'm still mentally only 13...so there's that. I enjoyed watching the cartoon when it was airing (I enjoy animation of all sorts) and I usually go looking for "the book" when I find there is one. Thanks!

Fretting out likes this.
  15. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah the wildcats seem to dish it out to deserving individuals

16. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What will stop them? A rotisserie and barbecue pit

Fretting out likes this.
  17. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

I've had several rabbits as pets. very easy to litter box train. The last one we had could reach the top of the dining room table standing on his hind legs. His favorite person was the pizza delivery guy. He loved pizza and spaghetti. he would chase dogs and cats out of his yard.

61fury and ElJay370 like this.
  18. Fretting out

Ha!

I’ll have to show this to my mother, looks like the future

She’s even joined a forum for bunny people called “bunnies are a***holes” you know how crazy them forum people are;)

19. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I just bought one yesterday, fresh, about three pounds, cleaned. Makes a great stew, or if you want to kick it up a notch, chef Paul Prudhomme has a fabulous recipe for smothered rabbit in "Louisiana Kitchen". My wife makes a killer rabbit fricassee. So ya, we totally get rabbits!

2groggy and buster poser like this.
  20. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My MIL—who was wonderful in all other ways—gave our two kids each a pet bunny one Easter. That was bad enough as we already had a dog and occasional stray cat, but worse yet was that the bunnies were a male and female. This caused a rapid increase in rabbit population over time and had me building multiple hutches out back, and eventually I had to do something with all those rabbits. It turns out that domestic rabbit tastes pretty good.

I’m a hunter but strangely enough don’t like killing things, and I especially hated the task before me. A friend gave us a New Zealand Giant named “Pinky” and he was a male who lived by the “breed like rabbits” credo so things got unmanageable. I finally had had enough and one fateful day I took care of all 14 remaining rabbits and told my MIL “never again, OK”? She tried very hard but the next Easter got the kids each a cute white duckling. She said the seller assured her they were the same sex but nope; that summer we had giant Muscovies or Pekins chasing the youngest kid around the yard and soon had 23 eggs of which 21 hatched in the fenced in “duck house” I dutifully built. The young were killed off by various animals while following their mother into the woods. I just couldn’t bring myself to slaughter them so swiftly sold both adult ducks & a bag of feed to the first farmer who showed up with $5.

I think I was even firmer with my MIL as that was the end of that. Dogs are great pets, cats OK but I put even a pet rat way above a rabbit as a companion of any depth.

Fretting out and Zepfan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.