1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What’s the deal with Rabbits/bunnies do you have them? Redeeming qualities?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I guess there’s certain animals I just don’t understand bunnies/rabbits being one

My mother recently went bunny crazy (3rd or 4th midlife crisis type deal)

She’s got three of them within a month and I see nothing redeeming about them

At least a dog/cat will return affection

These dang rabbits ALL they do is eat, poop and chew up things

It’s like the boat of animals! A money pit and problems,Well horses are actually the boat of animals at least you can ride them

Are any of you “bunny people”?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm with you. I cannot fathom the idea of having one as a pet. As least a hamster or gerbil (also useless) is small and relatively contained. But there is no point in trying to understand other people, so.. live and let live.

Fretting out, Jakedog and Flip G like this.
  3. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

We have a few wild ones that hang out in the back yard. Fun to watch when they chase each other around or chill out laying around like a cat. But no, I wouldn't want one as a pet. One my friend had would try to bite him constantly when he held it.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

We have wild ones. There’s a warren in the woods behind our house. They’re not totally out of control because we also have a couple foxes local, and a pair of great horned owls that nest down the block. But we do see a lot of em.

The kids love that they’re around. Even I have to admit they’re pretty cute. Although keeping them out of the wife’s vegetable garden during the summer is quite a chore. And the kids freak out when the dog accidentally kills one of the young ones. They wander into the yard and sometimes he catches one. I’m convinced he scares them to death. There’s never any blood or carnage, but they’re DEAD when he drops them. He’s trying to play, I think. I guess it’s possible he’s crushing them without piercing their hides. But every once in a while when the girls have him out back I hear shrieking, followed by “JACKIE, NOOOOOOOOOO!” and then lots of crying.

5. Fretting out

Mentioning the one dying, that’s another thing apparently they are the most fragile animals alive, they can be literally scared to death, and they can’t throw up and easily have digestive issues that kill them

I guess that’s why they breed so furiously because there’s probably a high mortality rate

My mom bought one before the current ones and it died from bloat (poor thing)/ the breeder should have known, at least mom knows what to look for now

6. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

My roommates in first-year university came home with one from a pet store. We lived in a two bedroom apartment. I slept on a pull-out couch in the living room. They said a friend of theirs in private school had one, and it would use a litter-box. Well ... this thing went back to the pet store with no refund for them after destroying both their mattresses, a girlfriend's formal dress, and all our carpets with its lack of sanitary habits. It was also about as affectionate as a boxful of bear traps and windup chattering teeth.

[​IMG]

stepvan, GeneB and Fretting out like this.
  7. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

No! Not the Bunnyman! :eek:

Lives under a bridge, dresses in bunny outfit, attacks with axe (the implement, not the body spray).

We routinely have bunnies in our yard. This time of year, they give each other piggyback rides. At least, I think that's what they're doing.

Perhaps it's "leapfrog"...but for something that can jump quite far, they never seem to make it over...

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

i sometimes see the neighbor's cat stalking my backyard rabbits, and I get protectively murderous

cats are the very worst
    that's why CATapults were invented

i'm very ok with wildcats raising hell in the suburbs though, that's different :cool:

Whatizitman, Jim622, stepvan and 4 others like this.
  9. Fretting out

Dang, I forgot all about bunny man bridge, I used to have a book of folklore and that tale was in it

Flip G likes this.
  10. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

From my experience, bunnies are like sheep....they are either fine, or they are dead.
    Not much in between.
    The do not handle trauma or illness very well at all.

edit: and yes, I agree, they are just slightly above "grass" on the food chain, everything eats them.

11. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Holic

two words: rabbit jerky

12. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My daughter loves rabbits. She used to have one years ago as a pet. They are nice, gentle, and like attention. They will come when called, and use a litter box. But yeah - the chewing. My daughter used to address hers like a Nike commercial - "Just chew it".

Now, cats as pets I don't understand at all. To each their own I guess.

Fretting out and blowtorch like this.
  13. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Farmers breed them to eat them or sell them to be eaten, otherwise as a pet i don't know. Maybe this one return the affection ?
    [​IMG]

nobis17, Flip G and Fretting out like this.
  14. 2groggy

2groggy Tele-Meister

Are any (or all) of them named "Stew"?

Oh, and one rabbit might act like a pet. If there are more than one, they stick to themselves.

Zepfan, AlbertaGriff and Flip G like this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Compared to other small mammals, I never understood the appeal as pets. They seem unsuited for it from what I've seen.

Outdoors, their population waxes and wanes on our acre. They exist to be food for predetors. The Red Fox keep them cleaned out during the winter and spring when they're hauling food back to mom and the pups in the burrow. The Great Horned and Barred owls enjoy them year 'round.

They're innocuous, other than being one of two reasons why we can't grow most flowers and vegetables, here. The other reason is deer. The very yound ones have almost no fear of humans.

Fretting out likes this.
  16. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't you just want to stick your hand in there and feel how warm and fluffy it is?

upload_2021-4-20_14-52-22.png

17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

You may be thinking of Stewball. He was a race horse.

Harry Styron likes this.
  18. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

I certainly adore the one that brings me chocolate eggs once a year.

Never had one as a pet, but I was at the Sandwich Fair (a county fair in rural northern Illinois) years ago. They have all of the farm animals on display for judging. They had various rabbit breeds on display and I was shocked at the size of some of them. A few were close to the size of a medium dog.

I also had a nest of them in my front yard one time. I was going by with the mower and this tiny little thing hopped out. I immediately stopped the mower and then bunnies started jumping out everywhere! I grabbed a 5 gallon bucket and gathered them up. There were 4 or 5 of them. I lived on a busy street and didn't want them getting roadkilled. I did some quick research and learned that Momma Bunny leaves them unattended so that she doesn't draw attention to them. She comes back at night and nurses them. My scent also wouldn't be an issue. I put them back in there nest and they huddled down tight. I left that section of grass unmowed and I checked on them every day and after a week or two they were gone. They were super cute little guys and I took several pictures of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bgmacaw likes this.
  19. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I get it for the dog sometimes; it's a little north of $8/lb, so it's a rare treat.

Jared Purdy and Henley like this.
  20. 2groggy

2groggy Tele-Meister

No, I was thinking of what to make for dinner tonight.:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.