What’s is Your Real-World Minimum Pedal Board?

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
All I need and use on my diy pedalboard is a tuner, a "Channel 2" - overdrive pedal by Duesenberg and a BOSS SD1 as second overdrive pedal.I have set the Duesenberg pedal for light overdrive and the SD1 to create a more full and singing overdrive when both pedals are engaged .
I also sometimes use a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 instead of the Channel 2.
And sometimes (only when I am alone at home) I put in my ear plugs and just use the natural od coming from my tube amps at full volume :)
View attachment 1016149

If you were to add a simple daisy-chain cable to your board, you can do away with 2 of your 3 wall-warts. The TrueTone One Spot can supply 1,700 milliamps (mA) through a daisy chain cable. They make different ones... I have a 2 pedal, a 5 pedal and an 8 pedal version of daisy chain cables.

Usually the owner's manual tells you the current draw in milliamps (mA)... Tuners and overdrive/fuz/dist boxes only eat about 10mA or so each...

If you need to know what mA your pedal(s) are/is... check out this page, he list most everything but hasn't been updated in a while... (scroll down for list)

Also, FWIW while we're talking Milliamps... the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 only puts out 100 mA per output... whereas the Strymon Zuma has 9 outputs and each put out 500mA each... you might be able to daisy chain a few pedals out of the Voodoo Lab box, but nearly unlimited (I had 30 hooked up at one time and no sags or noise) using the Zuma and daist chain cables...

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
Another thing I have that might be considered "minimal" is a Boss GT-1 pedalboard. It is small, it is very light, and it fits in the front pocket of my Levy's gig bag.

They are around $225-ish or so new... they do a bah-jillion things, but the one downfal I experienced right off was that they did not include a "bypass" switch anywhere on the front panel.

So... you are required to spend ample butt time with the manual figuring out how to create a bypass patch...

My lazy work around for that was to buy a OneControl White Loop pedal, which creates a duakl send/return function... so I can plug the GT-1 into one of the send/returns on the White Loop pedal, and use the switch on the White Loop to cut the GT-1 out of my signal...

It has a lot of fun packed inside, plus a lot of use;less bling I'd never use. This was my first all-in-one pedal and I've been a single pedal guy per effect all my 40+ years of playing.

I can whole-heartedly say I hate this pedalboard for the no bypass reason... and I hate reading manuals and I hate spending butt time reading when I want to spend guitar time playing.

There are a bah-jillion actual hope-to's on YouTube for this GT-1, which is one reason I actually bought it... I thought I could use it easy enough at church and it was convenient to fit in my gig bag...

It is actually very easy to use, I just hate manuals and readiong crap with a passion of hate... I avoid all manuals like the plague... LOL

If you want to investigate...

I will keep it, I suppose... but it is mostly collecting dust...

Here is the OneControl White Loop pedal...

I bought mine on Amazon because I had some Amazon Gift Card dollars to use up... but they no longer have the fancy font exampled in the Amazon photo...

They look like thyis now, plain fronted...

There are 3 or so choices...

1) both red and green loops out/off
2) red send/return loop
3) green send/return loop

This will be my intro to more extensive send/return loop pedals...

TeleLikeItIs

TDPRI Member
I found a couple GC Gift certificates in my desk drawer so I decided to go small. I had the pedals they just needed a "home".

Attachments

• 20220926_094754.jpg
    20220926_094754.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220926_094439.jpg
    20220926_094439.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220926_094711.jpg
    20220926_094711.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 27

SpaceAceman

Tele-Meister
Depends on the gig.

Simple blues jam, or "classic" classic rock - nothing fancy: An OD and a solo boost pedal.

Here is Marshall Clean and dirty, plus delay/reverb in two

NvwkRCI.jpg

What I usually use, all things being unknown:

VXdGHJA.jpg

Here is a pretty minimal but very flexible Blues/Rock board:

Two levels of grit, vibe or vibrato, two different delay time, Reverb & tremolo, in 4 pedals

ITMfJPK.jpg

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi.

Just wondering, what is your real-world, non-theoretical bare minimum for a pedal board? The absolute minimum you need to get to a state you would consider sufficient?

My (current) answer will be in a post below.

Pax/
Dean
I only play at home I reconfigure my pedals for the part , so there is a constantly changing collection of pedal all my pedal have velcro on the bottom there is a large board that is the "PEDAL LIBRARY" and the pedals are in the library when not in use they are all stored in one place all the time . They are easy to see and find.
I think my DAW my have influenced me in that in my Daw there is a list. List instruments, effect.
Go to effects and see al the effects that exist in the DAW.

I like simple I'm a big fan of simple, simple direct and to the point dating,
"Do you want me in you" , it's simple and direct allowing for honesty

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
Oh yes, I've spent many happy hours with my laptop plugged into the Katana! Of course you could do that 8 hours a day for a year and probably just scratch the surface. So much stuff packed in there.

large_2021-10-20_14.44.13-2-1.jpg

This is exactly why I thought F-it! and got a Pignose. Now my hours are spent actually practicing.

I have however since indulged in an MS-50g, a mini-multi-effect pedal which more than meets my needs - it's prime roles are tuner and spring reverb.

Last edited:

Brent Hutto

Tele-Holic

large_2021-10-20_14.44.13-2-1.jpg

This is exactly why I thought F-it! and got a Pignose. Now my hours are spent actually practicing.

I have however since indulged in an MS-50g, a minimalist multi-effect pedal which more than meets my needs - it's usual role is tuner and spring reverb.

I had a grand old time trying every Katana amp setting and effect under the sun for the first 2-3 months of my electric guitar playing. And honestly, there was such a mismatch between the Ibanez guitar I started out with (two midrangy, high output humbuckers) and the type of music I was trying to play a lot of that was a failed attempt to make the guitar sound different than it really could.

It was an interesting little hobby-within-a-hobby and I learned a lot about effects. Mostly I learned I have no use for distortion, overdrive, boosts or most modulation effects. Jury is still out on compressors, I don't use one but the "Boss Comp" on Katana almost convinced me I could use one. So having all those things in Katana saved me buying and having to get rid of a dozen different pedals.

Once I switched to a Telecaster (neck pickup) the whole amplifier thing became simpler. I actually have a stereo Katana setup now and both amps are setting with Bass and Mid at 50 (noon), Treble at 40, Gain and Volume at 70 and Presence around noon as well. I use the lowest 0.5w attentuator setting and the only thing I ever change is the Master Volume. No effects. I do use a Global EQ to put a -4dB cut at 250Hz (my room is strongly resonant between about 240-280Hz) which, if I did not use Katana would mean needing an EQ pedal.

In theory, there are probably dozens or tube or solid state or digital amps that could perform the same function as my final, very simple Katana setup. At least with an EQ pedal. But really there's not much out there that's cheaper than what I spent for a new Katana 100 combo plus a used Katana 50, at least not if we're talking good clean-sounding amps with 12" speakers that can be set for very low volume.

One thing I've figured out from hanging around these online forums. There are people like me who think something like a Katana with all the effects turned off and most of the knobs set around noon or thereabouts is an extremely simple setup. Then there are other people who think having a bunch of unused menus and functions makes it complicated whether you ever use them or not.

schenkadere

Friend of Leo's
I have this too. It's surprisingly good. I got it on some extreme sale for $49 new. Very compact and versatile.

Attachments

• Valeton_3 views.jpg
    Valeton_3 views.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 19

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
I have plenty of effects, but if I don't have to literally imitate some other guitarist's sound for a song, I can happily play completely independent of any effects. But my preference (therefore, not a true absolute minimum) is to have some kind of OD, which for me has been a Klon, then a KTR, and now a Rimrock Effects Mythical Overdrive, or the one OD I have never ever considered selling, my old Keeley-modded Boss SD-1. Those are all responsive enough that they can accentuate anything my fingers, guitar, and amp can produce.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Hi.

Just wondering, what is your real-world, non-theoretical bare minimum for a pedal board? The absolute minimum you need to get to a state you would consider sufficient?

My (current) answer will be in a post below.

Pax/
Dean
It’ll be a TU-3. Can I make that work? Yeah, I can. It’ll suck. Big time. But I won’t.