What’s is Your Real-World Minimum Pedal Board?

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I just started playing electric guitar eight months ago and I've spent well north of a thousand dollars (net) on pedals in just that short time. Not all of them stuck around for more than a few weeks but it was a very expensive process getting down to the fairly simple rig I settled on in the end. Two delay boxes, looper, tremolo and tuner makes five pedals. That's how many I ended up with out of the ten or eleven total that I've bought and tried.

In theory my Katana amp has versions of all of those effects built in, along with lots of others. But there's no tremolo effect in it that I found remotely close to listenable (hence my Source Audio Vertigo). And the delays in the Katana I could never dial in to the specific modulated tape delay sounds that I use all the time on my DD-500 and DL4 mkII boxes. There may be single box multi-effects out there that get me closer to what I'm getting with individual pedals but I ended up just trial and erroring my way through until I found what I wanted to hear.

In the end I had to go through two different solid state amps (a Fender and a Boss), four different guitars (a Schecter, an Ibanez, two Telecasters) and nearly a dozen pedals as part of my "process". But thank goodness the "process" didn't require I keep everything I bought and tried or I'd need to build a new room on the house to hold it all!
Have you used Tone Studio on the Katana to deep dive into the effects settings?
You can do far more in Tone Studio than you will ever get from the panel itself.

• Massive selection of onboard BOSS effects, including MDP effects and algorithms directly ported from the 500 series

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Hi.

Just wondering, what is your real-world, non-theoretical bare minimum for a pedal board? The absolute minimum you need to get to a state you would consider sufficient?

My (current) answer will be in a post below.

Pax/
Dean
Don't use many effects, even if I've got them on my board. I could easily do a gig with a Tremolo pedal and my Mosaic 12-String Emulator. I have reverb on all my amps, and a D'Addario Mini tuner mounted to the back of all my guitars' headstocks.

Brent Hutto

Tele-Holic
Have you used Tone Studio on the Katana to deep dive into the effects settings?
You can do far more in Tone Studio than you will ever get from the panel itself.

• Massive selection of onboard BOSS effects, including MDP effects and algorithms directly ported from the 500 series
Oh yes, I've spent many happy hours with my laptop plugged into the Katana! Of course you could do that 8 hours a day for a year and probably just scratch the surface. So much stuff packed in there.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
In theory my Katana amp has versions of all of those effects built in, along with lots of others. But there's no tremolo effect in it that I found remotely close to listenable (hence my Source Audio Vertigo). And the delays in the Katana I could never dial in to the specific modulated tape delay sounds that I use all the time on my DD-500 and DL4 mkII boxes. There may be single box multi-effects out there that get me closer to what I'm getting with individual pedals but I ended up just trial and erroring my way through until I found what I wanted to hear.

MEDIA=youtube]bdsXJesKpAU[/MEDIA]

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Oh yes, I've spent many happy hours with my laptop plugged into the Katana! Of course you could do that 8 hours a day for a year and probably just scratch the surface. So much stuff packed in there.
I know what you mean. I have a Katana myself, as well as a NexTone. They each have their own version of Tone Studio. The GT-1000 also has its own version of Tone Studio.

20220313_200503271_iOS.jpg 20220709_003053754_iOS.jpg

Brent Hutto

Tele-Holic
I had never heard of NexTone until it was mentioned here. How does it relate to Katana? Newer or older?

Seems to have far more functions available from the panel before you go through the editor.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I had never heard of NexTone until it was mentioned here. How does it relate to Katana? Newer or older?

Seems to have far more functions available from the panel before you go through the editor.
The NexTone is newer. It uses the same technology (BOSS Tube Logic) as the Katana, it adds the option of emulating American or British EQ models with various tube types without actually emulating specific tube amps.

Notice in the Equalizer section you can select American or British. In the Power Amp section, you can choose from 6V6, 6L6, EL84, or EL34.

The two rows of knobs reflect two channels which you could setup as two very different amp types, each with its own effects. You can switch back and forth with the CH Select button.

20220314_234418122_iOS.jpg

You can still deep dive into the effects in Tone Studio.

Last edited:

Brent Hutto

Tele-Holic
The NexTone is newer. It uses the same technology (BOSS Tube Logic) as the Katana, it adds the option of emulating American or British EQ models with various tube types without actually emulating specific tube amps.

Notice in the Equalizer section you can select American or British. In the Power Amp section, you can choose from 6V6, 6L6, EL84, or EL34.

View attachment 1031704

You can still deep dive into the effects in Tone Studio.
Let me just say...

Holy cow!

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Question is - - can your amp alone, and your guitar electronics, make you happy?

Not quite. My main at home amp is a Vox AC4-HW1. That’s the hand wired one with a bigger cabinet, a greenback and a ‘hot / cool’ switch that cuts out the tone stack. Tone wise, it is flippin’ amazing. Not a lot of headroom, but at home volume it has a nice, wide spectrum, from clean, through crunchy to scorching hot. And everything has, for me at least, an interesting harmonic richness. You can make it sound truly sweet and mellow, raucous and raw, and anywhere in between. I love it.

But, lacks reverb…

Pax/
Dean

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Not quite. My main at home amp is a Vox AC4-HW1. That’s the hand wired one with a bigger cabinet, a greenback and a ‘hot / cool’ switch that cuts out the tone stack. Tone wise, it is flippin’ amazing. Not a lot of headroom, but at home volume it has a nice, wide spectrum, from clean, through crunchy to scorching hot. And everything has, for me at least, an interesting harmonic richness. You can make it sound truly sweet and mellow, raucous and raw, and anywhere in between. I love it.

But, lacks reverb…

Pax/
Dean
Ahh - - reverb. I hear you on that one. I have a Vox Night Train (15w) dead and in mothballs right now. Was nice when it worked, but no reverb. That's when I got the Marshall Reflector. Sturdy, nice pedal. My "happy amp" these days is a Quilter with reverb. Now, I really am guitar-cord-amp MOST of the time.

Sal A

TDPRI Member
My bare minimum is straight in to my Fender VibroChamp Reissue.

however, I do have a pedal board designed to go straight in to a PA.

Boss TU3 to BD to CS2 to RV5 to JDX cabsim

Attachments

• 0F2A4EF0-7F85-4728-AEB1-ACB1675F64AE.jpeg
    0F2A4EF0-7F85-4728-AEB1-ACB1675F64AE.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 12

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
I either use a thirteen pedal board for my death rock band or i play acoustic instruments that don’t even have pickups when i play folk, old country, or old time.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Just wondering, what is your real-world, non-theoretical bare minimum for a pedal board? The absolute minimum you need to get to a state you would consider sufficient?

My (current) answer will be in a post below.

Pax/
Dean
I've done blues type gigs with just a guitar, a Deluxe Reverb and a Boss Super Overdrive, or OCD.

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
I've never thought about hooking up a 9v battery clip to a power cable and plugging it in like the OP's picture (post #3 here)...

I'll have to try that... LOL

As a mimalist approch...

-- some kind of distortion or overdrive
-- reverb if your amp doesn't have any
-- if I could only buy ONE modulation pedal, I'd go with the one I just bought, it is very flexible... Walrus Audio Polychrome Analog Flanger
-- for the fun factor, some kind of delay

If you're really on a budget, look for Mooer and/or Behringer pedals. The are cheap and get the job done (but some of the Behringer pedals are plastic cased, so care is needed)

Or like many guitar heroes of the past... just a Cry Baby wah and plugged straight in to an amp that gives you your overdriven sound... (with a coily cord, LOL)

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic