What’s is Your Real-World Minimum Pedal Board?

Rustbucket

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m already there, but in reality, I don’t switch the reverb off or run the trem very often so could probably eliminate that.
4C980D44-601F-45FC-8808-9A25B06D65EB.jpeg

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

As I posted in the August Daily Random Photo thread, this is what I brought on holiday to NZ with me (not the actual pine board though).

Had to think hard about this, cos I didn’t want to lug too much stuff half way round the world. Looper was a given, since it’s for practice and fun. Settled on space saving mini tremolo for wobble and also decided a germanium Fuzz Face clone was best for dirtiness, as rolling the volume I can get a nice range of sounds.*

I have the use of a Mesa Express 5:25 while here. It has reverb (& the amp itself impresses me more every time I use it, with three of its four distinct voices very much to my liking). I also have the use of a single coil equipped Ibanez Roadster. And, it all seems to be working out. These two sound affecting pedals and the reverb on the amp pretty much give me all I need and offer a lot of range. I would prefer harmonic tremolo though, but that pedal was too big to bring.

However, if I owned a smaller delay with built in modulation (rather than the large unit I have) I might have chosen that over the tremolo. That would give me both delay and wobble, plus with a very short delay set, it could help on reverb-less amps too.

If I wasn’t so concerned about space / weight for traveling, that would be my bare minimum set up I think - delay with modulation and germanium Fuzz Face. And, if performance was the goal and not practice, the looper would be swapped for a tuner.

How about you?

FEDAA37B-DC67-4391-A24F-FC8B78FC49AF.jpeg

Pax/
Dean
* as I’ve said before, I have come to the uncomfortable conclusion that germanium fuzz might be all one needs if you are a single coil user, as with vol rolling, it does everything. Of course, I don’t follow my own conclusion and have various other drives ;-)

G Stone496

Tele-Meister
Hi.

Just wondering, what is your real-world, non-theoretical bare minimum for a pedal board? The absolute minimum you need to get to a state you would consider sufficient?

My (current) answer will be in a post below.

Pax/
Dean
One pedal only. A Boss DD-3 delay pedal and a two channel amp with spring reverb. Often dirt isn’t needed, when it is, step on the footswitch for the second channel. YMMV

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

As I posted in the August Daily Random Photo thread, this is what I brought on holiday to NZ with me (not the actual pine board though).

Had to think hard about this, cos I didn’t want to lug too much stuff half way round the world. Looper was a given, since it’s for practice and fun. Settled on space saving mini tremolo for wobble and also decided a germanium Fuzz Face clone was best for dirtiness, as rolling the volume I can get a nice range of sounds.*

I have the use of a Mesa Express 5:25 while here. It has reverb (& the amp itself impresses me more every time I use it, with three of its four distinct voices very much to my liking). I also have the use of a single coil equipped Ibanez Roadster. And, it all seems to be working out. These two sound affecting pedals and the reverb on the amp pretty much give me all I need and offer a lot of range. I would prefer harmonic tremolo though, but that pedal was too big to bring.

However, if I owned a smaller delay with built in modulation (rather than the large unit I have) I might have chosen that over the tremolo. That would give me both delay and wobble, plus with a very short delay set, it could help on reverb-less amps too.

If I wasn’t so concerned about space / weight for traveling, that would be my bare minimum set up I think - delay with modulation and germanium Fuzz Face. And, if performance was the goal and not practice, the looper would be swapped for a tuner.

How about you?

View attachment 1014807

Pax/
Dean
* as I’ve said before, I have come to the uncomfortable conclusion that germanium fuzz might be all one needs if you are a single coil user, as with vol rolling, it does everything. Of course, I don’t follow my own conclusion and have various other drives ;-)
In such a fly-in, non-gig situation I might go for a multi-effect unit, or an amp with digital effects built in.

mystichands

Tele-Meister
For small one room gigs I’ve gone to using the Vox vt 40+, with the onboard effects. Not perfect but it works well enough especially when I’m playing with another person on acoustic. If I do use any pedals it’s just an old Memory Toy analog delay, and sometimes a Mosaic 12 string emulator. It’s not exactly a Rickenbacker but it’s still pretty good.

ShortintheSleeve

Tele-Meister
Hi.

Just wondering, what is your real-world, non-theoretical bare minimum for a pedal board? The absolute minimum you need to get to a state you would consider sufficient?

My (current) answer will be in a post below.

Pax/
Dean
Honestly, it’s the one I have now—EQD Park Sound Fuzz, Paisley Drive, Tumnus, PackRat, Waza Dimension-C, Boss RE-2, Keeley Caverns. Now, outside of the Tumnus and PackRat, I don’t insist on those specific pedals (though I love them all), but I need those effects types to play our songs live.

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
If I wasn't gigging, I could get by just fine without any pedals, but I'm digging the combo of the Rat and Dunlop Echoplex that I keep on the floor in my office.

I'd be even happier with the Deluxe Memory Man I keep on my pedal board, but that thing is huge.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I’m most comfortable with a tuner and a reverb pedal. Lately I’ve been using a stereo delay pedal , to use two amps together . I don’t need it though. I just never found any pedals that work for me , it’s best without for me . I need reverb though .

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My oft-used pedal minimum at duo gigs is 2, OD and echo ... however they're not on a board; if I were to do so on the small side, I'd prolly add in one or maybe two more with them.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
with my amp(s).... only a tuner. I'd take either the Flint or the El Capistan next depending on if I needed reverb (I have one great amp that doesn't have reverb). If its a backline amp, then I'd like to have The Timmy, the Archer. or maybe the Plimsoul after the tuner.... then the reverb/echo