What’s in a name?

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
We had a Dr Dick at the hospital, a gynecologist and deliverer of babies...

he named his daughter Ophelia..... true..

I wonder how she liked her name?

Billy3

Tele-Holic
We had a Dr Dick at the hospital, a gynecologist and deliverer of babies...

he named his daughter Ophelia..... true..

I wonder how she liked her name?
Imagine being a patient getting ready for an examination, birth, or whatever and in comes a Dr named..... Pretty awkward.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My son got named Luke.

My dad was going to name all his kids and all his dogs "Luke", so he could go out on the porch and holler out, "Luke!" and we'd all come running. I didn't like my name when I was growing up; it was hard for me to say and nobody else was named Luke. Now there are lots of Lukes, and I don't mind so much.

When I was in college, there were lots of people who didn't know my name was not Otis Fudpucker. I liked that name better than my real one.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Can you imagine that you're Charley Postlethwaite filling out the forms at the HMV to get your horse registered, and you're having to write out your name on all of the forms? Must be a drag, especially if you have to take the "I'm not a robot" test.

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I hate my name more than anyone could imagine
Why? Warren is a cool name methinks. Some of these names parents give their kids nowadays, basically made up names, are gonna stick with those poor kids for a lifetime. One lady some years back wanted to name her daughter Placenta because she heard the word while in the delivery room. Can you imagine? The staff cautioned her against that for the child’s sake.
Oh, my middle name is Radford. Wanna trade, Warren?

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Oh, my middle name is Radford. Wanna trade, Warren?

Radford made some nifty hifi amps:

01-STA15-Mk2.jpg

Attachments

• 1654296813146.jpeg
    1654296813146.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 4

Charlie Bernstein

Poster Extraordinaire
When I worked at UPS in the very early 1970s, we had a night crew, of which 24 were men. And 11 and for a while 12 were named Dave/David. One of them might have been me, yeah. So they all went by last names or nicknames.

I think the guys named David envied their co-workers named Armand or Delfayeo. When someone envies a guy named Delfayeo, that's saying something.
Yeah, when I was in high school, there were too many Charlies.

So a lot of us underwent name reassignment. I became Rosco. Charlie Pizzarelli became (inevitably) Pizzaface. Charlie Green of the big, shiny braces became Flash. Charlie Strang became Joe Rat.

Charlie Eddings stayed Charlie. He was a Golden Gloves, and no one messed with him.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I hated my name when I was a kid; to me it had a real "Poindexter" vibe. And I was named after my dad, so for years I was Little Jupiter.

It's sort of come around now and it seems alright to me.

It definitely helped when the "Little" part ended.
Jupiter is a really cool name. Want to trade? Mike is so meh.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
meh. My name's Craig, never liked it, but heck, everyone I meet calls me 'Greg' anyway!
I've got a first name that's way too common, and thus of limited use.

I was so enthralled when my first Music Teacher in second grade told me what a wonderful singing voice I had. And I really took it to heart. But thinking back, she called me by maybe 6 different, fairly similar sounding names to my own name. At different times - never got my name right once, that I can recall.

I didn't dawn on me until decades later - if the woman couldn't distinguish my name from these other names, how valid was her appreciation of my voice? No matter; too late for me to start disliking my singing voice.