What’s in a name?

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
This is a funny thread.

I was named for my father and always called by my middle name, by family- still am. I re-activated my first name, on my first day of high school and have always been known by the name on my birth certificate, in the intervening 54 years. Family think I'm a bit odd and rebellious; I was just trying to avoid confusion, at the new school. I never cared for either name.
Oh yeah.....I had one of those hard-headed mothers, too.:rolleyes: I didn't like being told what to do, as a kid and I still don't. She never saw that we clashed, because we were so similar, in many ways. I grew a lot more considered, in my comments and behaviour- but she never did.

I've never considered legally altering my name- but I do use stage names and enjoy the anonymity of them......both. :D

clayville

Tele-Meister
@Jakedog I'm a Harper too (small world) from a long tradition of cobbled together mostly Southern family names. My dad, Gordon Graham, went by Graham or GG his whole life. I'm the oldest of his four sons: Clayton Gardner, Curtis Charles, Jason Graham and, wait for it, Hayes Mitchell Harper.

My wife and I tamped things down a bit for our two sons but kept the "tradition" of family names up: Charles Albert and Samuel Mitchell Harper. Most of us (except Hayes who doesn't have much choice) go by the short familiar version of our names - Clay, Curt, Jas, Charlie, Sam.

If any of us had gone to law school we could just add Esq. to our names and make a heck of a small town law firm - or maybe a 19th century baseball team.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
My parents get a D-minus for effort in child naming - all 5 of us got whatever the commonest name was at the time.

No-one, not even my mother, uses the full version of my forename. I don't respond to it, which can make getting called in dental waiting rooms, etc, problematic.

I don't have a middle name, we were poor and couldn't afford such luxuries.

I knew a guy once whose given name was 'Altair', named after the star. I thought that was pretty neat, he hated it.

I knew several parents who named their sons Ziggy, but thankfully they also had 'sensible' middle names. Guess which name they use...

Yours respectfully,
Arbuthnot Twinge

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I wear my daddy's name proudly, I named my son after me, he named his son after him.

Those of you who have read my posts about him know that my dad and I had many great adventures together. He was kind of a low-down coyote type of guy, but he was my old man, and taught me a lot of stuff about life. He taught me how to get along without him by leaving for the last time when was ten years old. He came over on a boat from Ireland in my grandma's baby crate, he was born here, and somewhere I have a bunch of Irish kin I will never know, but I wear the Irish name proudly.
I'm impressed, TD, by how much more understanding you are of your Dad (seems to me) in the 11 years since you've been posting here. You painted a pretty bleak picture, back in the days.

I'm trying to prevent the opposite from happening, between my Dad and me. Since his stroke a few years back, he's become kind of one dimensional, too grumpy and then momentarily too happy. I will keep reminding myself how good my relationship was with my Dad in 2011, and all the accomplishments of his whole life. Next month he'll be 96 years of age.

Even if my brother and not me, got stuck with the Dorman middle name!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I'm impressed, TD, by how much more understanding you are of your Dad (seems to me) in the 11 years since you've been posting here. You painted a pretty bleak picture, back in the days.

I'm trying to prevent the opposite from happening, between my Dad and me. Since his stroke a few years back, he's become kind of one dimensional, too grumpy and then momentarily too happy. I will keep reminding myself how good my relationship was with my Dad in 2011, and all the accomplishments of his whole life. Next month he'll be 96 years of age.

Even if my brother and not me, got stuck with the Dorman middle name!

Hey BB,

None of what I wrote about my daddy has changed. He was onery all of his life from what I've been told. It's me that has changed. I realize as I draw near the end of my life, that though I didn't realize it at the time, and more's the pity, I've done many things I should not have. I look back on things that I did that I thought I was having a good time doing, and realize I should have just left those things undone. I guess that's why I've softened towards my old man. Maybe, just maybe, he didn't even realize what a horses rear he really was. At any rate, between him and my ma, they gave me life, and I owe both of them for that.

Old Smokey

Tele-Meister
Everyone says they like my name. The only problem I have with it is that my last name is more common as a first name and my first name is more common as a last name-- the Grant Stewart Conundrum, if you will.

geoff_in_nc

Friend of Leo's
My name as you can see by my handle is Geoff. I'm good with Geoff although I went thru a teenage phase of disliking it. However I really dislike Geoffrey. When my (late) mom or my dad call me that it's OK, but otherwise, no.

I do kind of dislike when people don't know how to pronounce it, but laugh it off as "don't worry, I've been called worse"... No sense in being grouchy about it.

chezdeluxe

Doctor of Teleocity
My father’s given names were Vernal Louis. He had a theory that every child should just be given a number and they could pick their own name when they turn 21.

The only person I ever heard call him Vernal was his Irish mother. All his sisters and friends from his hometown of Townsville called him by his nickname Cherry because of his ruddy complexion.

When he left Townsville to work in Mt Isa in the early 1930s Cherry turned into Gerry and he was Gerry for the rest of his life.

My given names are Gerard John. I was named by my mother after the catholic saint Gerard Majella because she believed it was her prayers to him that saw her have a child after thirteen years of trying.

So I was Gerry to my childhood friends (but never to my family ….still the case) and people naturally assumed I was named after my father.

If I had my time over I think I would prefer D’Arcy.

Yes….. D’Arcy St John O’Connor LeStrange has a grand ring to it.

Neptical

TDPRI Member
No worries.

Lets face the facts that we ALL share names:

Asshat
Dickass
Scrotum Breath
**** Waffle
Douchebaggette
Doggyknobber
Douchenoggin

... etc

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Reminded me of this:

family_reunion.png
After doing the Ancestry thing, I found my parents were 11th cousins. Their common ancestor was one of the founders of Newberry, MA in 1635.

My best friend married a girl named Jeffrey. Her sister is Laurie...but they were introduced to me as Jeffery and Larry...

Last shot...my little brother was named John Smith (RIP). I had lost track of him for 10 yrs back in the 2000s. Try finding a particular John Smith in any database. Thankfully his middle name was Ira...

Last edited: