What’s in a name?

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Paine was a very prestigious last name, in Western New York as I recall. There's a Paine Avenue in North Tonawanda and probably a few more things named for this family.
I used to deliver phone books. Remember those? In my travels I learned:

- In Rye, NY, the Tripps lived on High Street.

- In Eastchester, NY, the Bummers lived on Downer Street.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Why? Warren is a cool name methinks. Some of these names parents give their kids nowadays, basically made up names, are gonna stick with those poor kids for a lifetime. One lady some years back wanted to name her daughter Placenta because she heard the word while in the delivery room. Can you imagine? The staff cautioned her against that for the child’s sake.
Oh, my middle name is Radford. Wanna trade, Warren?
I hate to break it to you, but all names are made up. Some have just been used to the point that we’re all extra used to them.

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I hate to break it to you, but all names are made up. Some have just been used to the point that we’re all extra used to them.
True, at some point they were invented, but they actually had a meaning originally. You can look up the origin, but most people in western lands don’t even consider that when naming their child. My parents actually did, but that was nearly 70 years ago. Google your name; I’ll bet it means something flattering. Spoiler alert: Jake (Jacob) means “supplanter” referring to having a sharp mind.
I was referring to names that were invented on the fly because someone thought it sounded cool. I have a friend who’s name is Shaquesha, for example. She hates it and goes by ‘Shay.’ Nothing wrong with inventing a name out of thin air I guess, but somebody is gonna have to live with it for their entire life. I could give lots of examples, but I don’t wanna hurt someone’s feelings. Trust me, I’ve heard some doozies!

Dave Skowron

Tele-Meister
Could be worse, could be a Dave! If I ever move to a different town I'm gonna change that.
What's wrong with Dave? I like being Dave! Dave's cool! Beats the crap out of "Bob" or "Dick"! My wife says she knew a guy named "Shirley". So . . .

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
What's wrong with Dave? I like being Dave! Dave's cool! Beats the crap out of "Bob" or "Dick"! My wife says she knew a guy named "Shirley". So . . .
But he asked everyone not to call him that
40E5BE7D-F481-45E8-9495-B37ED154515F.jpeg

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
I've never been too keen on my name. It sounds more stupid than I feel. I've considered changing it, but, I feel like it would just be weird for the people who have known me most of my life. Like, do they just start calling me a new name? It's weird to me.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Could have a boys name that’s spelled in a kind of Eastern European way (I’m not Eastern European) so that every teacher/substitute teacher calls you by a girls name..

Or they just mess it up completely and call me something I hate worse than the girl name…

I know names today are wacky but dang I was born almost 31 years ago…

I digress…

I understand the name part..

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
I'm Jim(James). I've always liked being Jim. I can't imagine not being Jim.

Now my middle name, as they tend to be, is the one I have issue with; Eugene.

Warren Pederson

Friend of Leo's
Why? Warren is a cool name methinks. Some of these names parents give their kids nowadays, basically made up names, are gonna stick with those poor kids for a lifetime. One lady some years back wanted to name her daughter Placenta because she heard the word while in the delivery room. Can you imagine? The staff cautioned her against that for the child’s sake.
Sure I’ll trade ya

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic

Radford is a great name! Reminds me of those slightly more complex, but classic names men used to have.

I try to keep an open mind, it's a big world, but man, some of the names I hear these days... I have many young cousins and some of them sound like they were named after granola bar ingredients.

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Radford is a great name! Reminds me of those slightly more complex, but classic names men used to have.

I try to keep an open mind, it's a big world, but man, some of the names I hear these days... I have many young cousins and some of them sound like they were named after granola bar ingredients.
Thanks for that vote of confidence! I might just hang on to it now that you put it that way.

Last edited: