What’s Exactly Wrong With Normal Boss BD-2 (Blues Driver)?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dreamingtele, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It is one of the classic OD pedals out there. A safe bet.

However, if you are looking for a sound all your own to own, perhaps take more risk.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

3. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I am in the camp that it's a solid pedal. I am on my 3rd one. Periods I did not have one on my board, something felt missing.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The BD-2 has always been a good pedal and the OD-1 is also a good pedal.

Now that I have the Katana 50 amp I get to enjoy a bunch of Boss effects.

aging_rocker likes this.
  5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Very popular pedal so I'd say there's nothing "wrong" with it. I tried one and it sounded very harsh compared to my other od pedals, so it didn't make it on my board. Plus I've had issues with boss buffers.

6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

:lol:

7. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

it's a great pedal used by many class A pros...I have the stock version and I love it...

cc50fralin likes this.
  8. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

They seem fine as a boost/ mild overdrive but they are quite harsh and boxy if you turn up the gain.

9. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I thought about the BD-2 long and hard, thats why i came up with this thread, but i heard the demos and i think Im liking the OD-3 more than the BD-2

i thought about the overlap with a Timmy and the BD-2, and I think the OD-3 would suit as a gain-ier option. And maybe a different flavor to a very transparent tone from the Timmy and Klone.

Found a used one for waay less than the bd-2. Paid for it right away.

i really hope it will work.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

My 2 cents is not to worry about what others think of your gear. They are not the ones playing the gig, and if it is some gibroni in the crowd grieving you, you can always ask why they are not booked their own selves if they are so expert. If a pedal delivers what you are looking for, regardless of age or design, then you have found the proper tool for the job.

65 Champ Amp and aging_rocker like this.
  11. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

It’s really hard to tell someone a particular pedal will give them exactly what they want. There’s a million possible combinations of guitars, pedals, and amps and taste is subjective.

The best thing to do is haul your guitar and board to a shop and try it out with your stuff.

if you’re concerned about it being a Boss, then just don’t worry. They are solid, affordable and generally sound very good.

just give it a try and see what it’s like.

beninma likes this.
  12. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Should work great. I stack a Snouse Blackbox (which is also a Bluesbreaker style pedal like the BD-2) with a Timmy clone and they sound awesome stacked together. I actually prefer the sound of the Bluesbreaker pedal as an always on and then use the Timmy clone to boost it. You can mess around and see what you like.

13. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

I have the Waza version, and really like it.
    It's like the regular one, but goes to 12 instead of 10 sound-wise.

Then again, I only play in my basement.

Mike

14. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Show me the circuit boards and I wouldn't have a clue but I'm pretty certain the Blues Driver is not a Bluesbreaker type pedal. Basically a modded Boss OD2 with a marketing name that Boss had to build a pedal around.

Modman68 likes this.
  15. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

I guess I could be wrong. I don't know much about the BD2 but I thought I've always seen it thrown out when people start comparing Bluesbreakers.

16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Don't be fooled by envy. Nothing is wrong with the BD-2. It's great, if that's the sound you are looking for. Open, organic, to me it is kind of the opposite of a TS. I stack the BD with a Timmy and think it's great. It can also function very well as an "always on" light gain pedal. I have to say I have always been a proponent of Boss pedals. You can generally find any of them for around $50 used, and they all seem to work just fine. Sure, maybe a $200 pedal is better somehow, but it's $200.

17. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

this is actually how I think. The most expensive pedal on my board is the Timmy and my DD20. My reverb pedal is the RV-6 which i picked up for less than half of what Strymon pedals ask, I know I can go cheaper but Id rather go Boss. Then my tuner is the Boss TU-3. Honestly I can gig with just Boss pedals! I think im just curious on why and what are the improvements if its good enough?

id rather buy a used MiM standard tele or Squier CV than the Kingsley tube pedals that’s the hype now, next to Analogman KoT, and a bunch others.

18. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Great pedal for what it is supposed to do, and does. I used one for quite awhile, until I picked up a used Fulltone FD2 when people were selling them cheap to buy the latest and presumably greatest MOSFET versions.

19. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

There’s nothing wrong with the Blues Driver. It can be used for everything from a clean boost to shoegaze fuzz, few pedals are as versatile, especially with only three knobs.

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Just my experience but no other OD pedal I've ever tried left my basic Guitar>clean Fender amp tone alone better than a Blues Driver.
    It does not color my tone so much as ( IMO) distort it very naturally, and I can tailor just how much or how little OD I want to hear.
    That's why it's ON all the time- no more kicking on a pedal that always seemed to change my guitar >amp tone.
    Instead it's just:
    turn guitar down= clean
    turn guitar up= feather in natural OD according to how much you need

nixpix and Marc Morfei like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.