What’s everyone current favorite pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Alchemist_PhD, Nov 24, 2021.

1. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Currently really enjoying the P90s in my Gibson SG Special. Clear, articulate with an airy quality that makes me want to play clean. Plugged into my ‘59 Supro Super the hours fly by.

naneek likes this.
  2. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My Number One (old name - now tied for first place) is an MIM Player equipped with the SD "Hot Tele" set - 2 single coils - and I love 'em. They go from mellow to get the freak out when I roll 'em up. Tasty.

Linda Lou (who is rapidly eating Number One's lunch) has Bootstraps: Mean P90 neck and Pretzel bridge. The P90 goes from lady to tiger when I roll 'er up, and the bridge pickup is the proverbial Tele bridge pickup on Crank when I roll it up.

Bootstraps cost a fraction of price of SDs, and I like 'em just as well. In fact, I prefer their P90 mucho over an SD Phat Cat I had in a previous neck position on another build. Big Bootstrap fan.

upload_2021-11-24_19-13-5.jpeg

P.S. - Quilter is still here, Blues Cube Stage is on consignment locally. Had to pick one, and Roland weighs almost twice what the Quilter does. Plus Quilter is easier to dial in (single channel) and has a jack for Tweed, Blonde, and Black and delivers all 3 in spades. And with a little tasteful OD, oh my ...

3. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

I like to pickup a pizza now and then and I really the Fred Stuart Blackguards in my Mario Martin “T” style

4. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

I do remember Blues mentioned in relation to the 59s on the Duncan site too. I think on their resistance / spec sheet.

naneek likes this.
  5. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

My Don Mare Hayrides.

rjtwangs likes this.
  6. TN Tele

TN Tele Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

It could always change, but My favorites are the Lollar '52 set and Fender No-Caster sets. Can't choose one over the other.

7. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros
    [​IMG]

Seth Lover neck/Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge
    [​IMG]

Fender OV 52's
    [​IMG]

yegbert and jays0n like this.
  8. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Duncan Vintage Tele & Duncan Stacked Vintage.

9. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I cannot say I have a favourite pickup... When years ago the bridge pickup of my Tele failed I found a Twang King. I liked it and all my guitars have a Twang King at bridge.

For neck position I like Fender DH-1 because id a Tad bright... yeah I know is cheap and bla bla bla, but it works for me.

Also I love The Creamery Wide Ranges

10. Orpheum

Orpheum TDPRI Member

For my tele my premium choice is : A Hepcat "Nocaster" in bridge position and a Bare Knuckle "Super Brute" in the neck position.
    Tele front.JPG
    The mix guitar/pickup varies with every instrument, even with the same woods... and it's the same with the mix guitar/amp!

11. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Rumpelstiltskin "1950 Black Ropes"(now called Black Knights). Custom wound 9.11 bridge/7.22 neck.
    Man I love these Tele pickups!!! Check 'em out, Aaron winds some sweet sounding pickups!!

Home built Partscaster, lightly distressed blonde Alder body, black Bakelite, rosewood fretboard, fat USACG neck, all nickel hardware, Wilkinson bridge/brass saddles, Tonepros tuners, etc.

12. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

thats a beauty!!

13. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

FAV PU? hmmm Arcane Gold Coil pickup is EXTRORDINARY for what it does.

14. Orpheum

Orpheum TDPRI Member

Thank you!
    It's a home-made guitar built from scratch in my workshop (mahogany body with a maple top, and maple/mahogany neck with an ebony fretboard).

telestratosonic likes this.
  15. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

I've become partial to Seymour Duncan pickups since they are mostly affordable and they absolutely do their jobs
    exactly as well as expected. I'm not a fanboy as such and freely admit I probably would get just as good results
    from other aftermarket brands.

Currently I've got my beat up old Strat knockoff loaded with SD:s as follows: SHR-1B, SSL-6, SSL-5.
    The Hot Rails(SHR-1B) as the bridge(duh), SSL-5 (which David Gilmour uses as bridge) in the neck position and SSL-6 as middle.

My Harley Benton R-458 BK is now equipped with SD:s also: Black Winter(bridge) & Sentient(neck).

If one of my planned NGD:s ever goes through it'll be Duncans there also.

EDIT: I've been wanting to try out SD:s Invader for the longest time.
    I just currently lack a guitar to slap it into. I don't want to "defile" my beater with such tomfoolery as that thing
    is way too unique and vintage to start hot-rodding. (unique and vintage isn't a good combo for a beater, I know)
    I've also heard good things about DiMarzio... which has me curious in that direction as well.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    DisharmonicDark99 likes this.
  16. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Holic

Joe Barden Danny Gatton set.

televillian likes this.
  17. whetherkings

whetherkings Tele-Meister

I have a really nice 67 Tele set from The Creamery in the UK - they are fantastic.

I have a custom wound bridge pickup in my Esquire also from The Creamery and it’s my favourite pickup of all time.

In my AVRI I’m currently experimenting with a 52 nocaster set of Australian made Sliders pickups and I really, REALLY like them.

I would definitely recommend checking out Q Pickups made in Croatia and sold on Reverb. They are insanely great for the money. Beautiful pickups, well made and so well priced.

18. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Seymour Duncan Seth Lover neck and Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge, wired up as a blend. Nice range of tones with that circuit, IMHO.
    My 1996 52RI Telecaster has its stock pickups. Tempted to try some CS Nocaster or maybe Fender '64 pickups, but don't want to spend the money if the change would be subtle. Lazy, yeah, I need to do some research, but many seem to like those stock 52RI pickups, and so do I.

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
    Tonerider… put an end to a continued expensive investment in Seymour Duncan and Bare Knuckle.

I do have an early JB from the 80’s that is a standout though.

WalthamMoosical and brown2bob like this.
  20. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

i like P90s, mini HBs & Firebird PUs

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.