1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What’s everyone’s favorite Tele pickups these days?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by justin.ramsey, Jul 29, 2018.

1. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Tonerider Hot Classics

Tony474 and Jay Jernigan like this.
  2. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Duncan Broadcaster.

4pickupguy and Mincer like this.
  3. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

So many great pickups available these days. You might try the 50s/Fezz/Ted Greene mod first.

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

rio grandes

5. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

My Nashville Tele came with Fralin SP42's in all 3 slots. So these are my favorite pickups because they were, in a sense, FREE; a new set will run you a little more than half as much as I paid for the entire guitar.....and they sound/play VERY good.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Fender Twisted tele/Broadcaster for me.

7. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I still love the Seth Lover/Jerry Donahue set. It makes a Tele usable for me.

SPUDCASTER and BB like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

For “normal”, non-hum cancelling, medium output pickups, I really like Rio Grande Muy Grandes.
    The sound right, but are very slightly hotter.
    Perfect for me.

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Depending on the vibe and the Tele, I've got different pickups in them.

For "traditional," I'm really liking the Dimarzio True Velvet T pickups that I just got recently.

For more relaxed highs, I like the Tonerider Tele Vintage Hot, but only at the bridge slot. I prefer just the regular Vintage Plus for the neck slot. I found out that the BYO Guitar pickup sets are Tonerider equivalents, and I actually like that the Twister bridge pickup has flush/flat poles.

I've got another Tele with a Virtual Vintage Hot T at the bridge slot, which IMO makes me feel like I'm playing a Tele with some LP Jr attitude to it. I've got a Area T neck pickup in the same guitar, and it's just fantastic for more rock-oriented kind of stuff, at least for how I play it.

My Esquire partscaster has a DiMarzio Fast Track T at the bridge, and is tuned to D standard. That pickup really works well with that setup, for either clean or overdriven tones.

Yet another Tele has a Van Zandt pickup at the bridge slot, and that's been in there for years and years now. The neck pickup in that Tele isn't a Tele pickup, but is a good sounding Duncan SSL-1.

For traditional or just a bit warmer, I could probably be content with the Tonerider Tele sets, and the BYO Guitar equivalents are an even cheaper option. The only thing with the BYO Guitar stuff is you have to buy them in sets, but at a little over $60 for two pickups, there's not much to complain about. The Dimarzio True Velvet T pickups were barely just a little bit more than the Toneriders, so that's IMO also a great value. I was considering a set of Twang Kings, but they are actually about $5 more per pickup, so I gave the True Velvet Ts a try instead.

I've been very happy with all the pickups listed, but I'm probably pretty easy to please.

BB and TLR_ like this.
  10. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

Thanks for the replies guys! Love hearing what people are digging. I’m strongly considering a Cavalier pickup. Part of me wants to convert this guitar to an esquire configuration which may be what happens

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just got an Elite with 4th Gen noiseless. Cool and crisp at low volume. Can’t put it down.

thegreatshocka likes this.
  12. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You can also get a Twin Lion or Hydra Lion for tapped goodness. Great in an Esquire.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Fender Pure Vintage '64 with brass cover and Texas Special bridge pickup set quite low. Sounds like what I imagine the '50s must have sounded... and I like it a lot.

14. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I am still enjoying the Donlis set that I bought for my tele.

richiek65 likes this.
  15. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

I have used EMG's T system in my last 3 builds. They sound great. Also partial to Bill Lawrence Keystones.

lupowitz likes this.
  16. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My new Seymour Duncan Gilly stacked bridge! Combined with an uncovered Frailin Blues Special neck pup (and 4-way switching setup) and it’s butter-honey richness and resonance for days! Not typical tele for sure (much broader and wider dynamic especially in mids and bass) but spanks and sparkles when needed with attack and EQ dialed in for such. A great and more versatile contrast to my more traditional Hwy 1 tele (DiMarzio Twang King-B and True Velvet-N) and my 50’s Road Worn (Tex Mex).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Mincer likes this.
  17. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

Kinman Broadasters set.
    Alternatively, the Seymour Duncan Alinico II Pro set.

Tony474 and Mincer like this.
  18. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

O.k. here goes a wet blanket on the fire.... example :

Billy Gibbons, rightfully and God Bless him, makes money endorsing pickups and gear but every guitar he plays live is EQ'd to a single standard.

[​IMG]

Skydog1010 and Golem like this.
  19. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I like the Tone Riders or the Fralin.

20. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

I have a Lindy Fralin Tele bridge pup in my TeeByrd and it’s an awesome pickup! Think those particular pickups were custom wound for RS Guitarworks who built the guitar for me. My Fender Tele has Josefina Campos hand wound custom nocasters in it and, imho, they are the best Tele pickups I’ve ever played bar none.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.