What’s a good, affordable first sampler?

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
What do y’all like? I’m leaning a little towards hardware, but I’m also interested in hearing about software.

Just not as into bringing my nice photo/video editing laptop to a gig.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
If you like using a laptop, you can get older, but decent, refurbished corporate model Dell, Lenovo or HP laptops on Amazon or elsewhere for not that much, probably in the $150 to $250 range (I haven't check prices recently though). Since you won't be doing editing, only playback, you won't need them to be that powerful and you can use free software.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
What do you like for free software?

My issue is really that i have a nice laptop and i don’t want to be bringing it to gigs where there may be full on chaos. Part of why I’m looking at hardware.

radiocaster

Doctor of Teleocity
The Elektron Model:Samples might be worth a look, or the Korg Volca Sample.
Those are both sample players, not samplers.

If you want a free sample player, try Soundplant. You pay if you use it for commercial purposes only. Works on old computers (older versions are also available), you can get an old laptop cheap. Samples are triggered with keyboard keys.

Depends on what you need.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It’s reasonable with Presonus software. You could use their Atom SQ as a basic controller too or any kind of midi workstation / keyboard.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Afflicted
iPad with AudioLayer from Virsyn.

http://www.virsyn.net/mobileapp/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=8

I've used it with as little as an iPod touch, strapped to a battery pack, with the camera connection kit, an Arturia Beatstep controller, and a cable normally used to power USB hard drives to power the Beatstep while it's tied into the iPod.

The latest rig du jour is an iPad velcro'd to an audio interface with the controller. Kind of a hybrid hardware/software kit.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Afflicted
When it comes to hardware, it depends what you're after - whether you want a unit that samples or just plays samples. But even the units that are sample players have means to get your own samples into them, albeit via an app of some sort. I was seriously looking at the Elektron Model Samples if I came into some money because of the knob per function orientation it has versus their Digitakt which, while it can sample on its own, is more menu driven.

tomasz

Tele-Afflicted
I'm happy with the NI Maschine MK2, yes you need a laptop to run the software, but it has plenty of uses for me besides sampling. I use it for drums, chords, and as a midi command center for dsp plugins etc. Around 100 Euro used, which is a steal in my opinion.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Those are both sample players, not samplers.

If you want a free sample player, try Soundplant. You pay if you use it for commercial purposes only. Works on old computers (older versions are also available), you can get an old laptop cheap. Samples are triggered with keyboard keys.

Depends on what you need.
I want to be able to sample something and manipulate that sound and make music out of that.