1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What’s a 80/90s Fender Hardshell Case worth ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ImGrand, Apr 18, 2021.

1. ImGrand

ImGrand TDPRI Member

Hello,

I‘m looking for a Fender Strat/Tele Hardshell Case, the Seller is asking 120 Euros but I can make a offer.

Now my question is what’s a Fender Case from this period worth ?

It looks like it’s in good condition

Thanks in Advance

C12064BB-DEFD-4DEB-ACF5-9B3BA52D150C.png F020B12B-22AE-40DB-9843-497EDC349062.png

cincyguitarplay likes this.
  2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think a really good deal would be about $85. Whatever that translates to in euros. Anything under $100 is a win.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

100 bucks or so is fair to everyone IMO

8barlouie likes this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Used cases go for $100?!? Since when? If that’s realistic, I’m gonna sell all of mine. I don’t use em anyhow. I have gig bags for everything I take out of the house.

5. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I don't understand it either :confused: ... maybe it has to do with people wanting genuine "period correct" cases for their guitars. There is nothing special about them.

I've got an original '72 Tele/Strat case that easily fetches a couple hundred ($250 - $300 CAD) on the open market. If I sold my case I'd get my money back and still have the '72 Tele.

Telecastoff1 and Jakedog like this.
  6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Personally, I think it's worth more or less what a new one is worth (minus any damage).

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any particular collector value for those cases, and I'm not aware of them being much better or worse than current cases.

Thomann has the modern version for 145€.

Dismalhead likes this.
  7. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

50€ maximum

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

It’s realistic, depending on which case

Seems When people are in the buying role they seriously undervalue things

Depends how bad you want or need the case

I wanted one to match my lead II, same molded case that only fits leads, think I paid almost 250 for it

I think the 140* is fair, although I’d still make an offer a little lower

I know dang well the people saying under 100 would ask for over 100 if selling, the roles flip real quick

May not be the best case but if it’s the period case you want

*Edit: 120

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

This.

It hasn't got any collector value - yet. Maybe in 15 years it will. I'd say $50 - $100 US, not sure how that translates to pounds. Only reason I'd get one over a brand new or used modern one would be if I had a '80s/'90s guitar that didn't have a case.

8barlouie likes this.
  10. Jakedog

I must just be out of touch. I’ve never in my life paid more than $40 for used, name brand, molded plastic hard shell case in great condition. Granted, I haven’t bought one in a couple of years. But that’s always been kind of my ceiling.

The last one was a used SKB. The newer kind with the TSA latches and everything. Shop had it marked $60. I got it for $45 plus tax. I thought it was a little high, but it was like brand new so I grabbed it.

The only things I’ve ever seen sell used for around the $100 mark are really nice G&G or similar Tweed and other vintage style. If I were selling, the role would not have reversed, though it will now. I would never have even thought to ask that much because I’ve never paid even close to that much. I had no idea plastic cases sold for that kind of money.

Telecastoff1 and uriah1 like this.
  11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I just checked Fender's website and new ones go from $159 up with most about $200.
    I'd just as soon have a good gig bag.

Telecastoff1 and Jakedog like this.
  12. Jakedog

Since I just found out I’m sitting on a couple thousand bucks that just collects cobwebs in the basement, I’m seriously thinking of selling my cases. I only ever use gig bags to play out or hit the road. The only time I ever use a hard shell is for domestic fly dates. Everything else I use gig bags for. Even international flights. Cause the planes are huge and my guitar or bass always gets carried on and fits in an overhead no problem. Much safer than checking it in a hardshell case. I find them almost useless.

I only keep them around because they came with the guitars and I had no idea anybody would actually pay real money for them.

13. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

My curmudgeoness went off kind of quick

In the heat of the moment I was thinking all cases including G&G

I do agree with you for the most part about off-brand molded cases not having much value
    But some of those old fender ones certainly do, especially to people like me that have a guitar and “needs” to have the correct case

Jakedog likes this.
  14. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

I always ask at shops and a few years back, a guy comes up with one of those in the original post and since he went to the trouble to look and bring it up we agreed on $75 out the door for it.

I'm a sucker for G&G cases with brown/gold or black/orange, but about $125 is my limit.

I've made a nice a profit on some Gibson cases I found locally....a 70s with purple lining, and a 90's Les Paul and Dreadnought cases with the brown/pink shroud....got them all for like $25-35 each!

15. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

I bought a used Fender case from FB Marketplace foe $40...looked great till I took it home and felt inside.....it had water damage inside...outside looked great.....guess you get what you pay for...:(

16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

75 on a good day. No nicks or bent aluminum and
    latches all work.

17. ImGrand

ImGrand TDPRI Member

Thanks for your replies

In my opinion I really like this kind of old Fender Case.

I once had a Fender American Standard Strat from a friend borrowed which had that kind of case.

I remembered the case as a good one, it protected well, wasn’t too heavy, fitted the guitar well and I also liked the way of it’s locking mechanism with those butterfly latches and that you could just put a padlock or something similar in front of it when needed. I actually don’t know if there are any other cases on the market with that kind of locking mechanism.

Anyway I think it’s always depending on the kind of cases you favour.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    41144 likes this.
  18. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Vintage/period correct guitars... (as an AV64 owner,) I get.
    It came with a "tweed" (repro obviously) case that I hate and never take out of the house.

Vintage/period correct guitar cases.... I really don't get compared to a modern SKB, so please enlighten me?

Edit: Transatlantic delay means imgrand reply pretty well negates this :rolleyes:

19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I haven't bought a guitar case in many, many years.

I buy all my guitars used, mainly at pawnshops.

I ALWAYS ask for a guitar case even if it didn't come with one.

A few year ago I bought an '09 Fender Special Strat for $400 out the door, and it didn't have a case with it.

Since I bought a lot of gear from this shop before, I asked if I could go to the back and look for through all their guitar cases in the back.

I ended finding an original vintage '70's Black molded guitar case they let me have.

Well getting back to the guitar case in question, I'd have a hard time giving $50 for it.

20. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Thomann do the modern Fender equivalent for about that. Unless you’re matching it to an 80s guitar I’d go with that option. My perception is the modern ones are a little more robust, at least comparing my early 80s case (the model before yours here) to the previous version of the modern cases.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.