Whammy springs....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jared Purdy, Nov 29, 2013.

1. telenacious

telenacious TDPRI Member

...not true....i used to think that too until i learned how to set it up properly...now i can float it and pull up and down with return to pitch without any change....

2. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Ron Chappers has YouTube videos on
    How to set up a tremolo. Many people loosen some of the screws on the bridge to have it float better. I'm personally a fan of Floyd Rose Locking tremolos. Some guitars of mine use 3 springs, others use 5.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

3. sparkletele123

sparkletele123 Tele-Meister

A friend of mine just got a Robert Kray sig. It comes without a trem so the strings go through the back like a Tele.

4. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

I used to use all 5 and had the trem gently decked in case I broke a string. It was useable but you had to finesse it a little to make it sound good for subtle stuff. It worked fine for Hendrixian overkill though. I eventually removed the middle spring, which gave me just a little float, which I think sounds much better. I use a graphite nut and locking tuners, so tuning stability isn't an issue.

5. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

i have blocked it, ala a clapton sig model--tight springs, block of wood at tail.
    but i use it, so, 2 springs... ala Ray Gomez (briefly discussed on his orginal Star Licks vid)with 9's, only i use 10's.

make a D chord the first 3 strings, pull up on the bar to get an Em.
    the object is to know/create what intervals you have/want when pulling up.

Carl Verheyen has interweb vids showing basically the same setup (3 springs, iirc).
    make a fifth fret Am, push down slightly to get Abm.

here is Carl, in the Ray video Ray pulls up from a D to the Em--you can gather that from Carl when he mentions the actual intervals.
    http://youtu.be/DzCUE-qlweY

i use 2 angled springs. Carl has his own hybrid 9's, made by Thomastik-Infeld (?), or maybe Markley.

another tip, in case you need it, is if you have play in your bar you might try wrapping the threaded end in a bit of teflon tape (plumber's tape).

if you break strings you're screwed. so don't break them.

6. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Right. Screwed it tight, and you've got more tension on the springs, and even less movement.

7. Jared Purdy

That's how mine is set up, thought I don't place surf per se. I know, with what I'm playing I use it sparingly, and no diving!

8. Jared Purdy

Very good point, never would have thought about that. Thanks.

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

5 Raw Vintage....nice sound, livelier for lack of a better word...

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

US Strat springs have more loops and have a better spring rate than the "asian" ones... which tend to be stiffer....

something else to think about..... all springs aren't created equal .....;)... the trem needs to be useable , not real stiff at the first movement of the arm...

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

1) The Carl Verheyen theory of angling the claw is pretty much debunked both by trying it both ways and by the laws of physics. Doesn't hurt, but doesn't help either. At least not with the six screw tremolo. The low E pulls harder than the high E, but those forces all balance out in practice through the bridge body and the differences are not enough to pull either side away from the pivot points of the bridge.

2) I used to slam my tremolo down to the body and it would still not stay in tune when I used the tremolo, and I didn't like its action very much. With a properly set up floating bridge, after heavy string bends or tremolo use you just give the tremolo a quick tweak downwards and it actually reseats the stings at the nut and bridge so that the tuning restabilizes back in tune-- you'll see this on the Frudua videos. And the suppleness of action is much better-- you can get much more melodic vibrato effect with a much better "feel" in your right hand. More like a Jazzmaster bridge, for comparison, although you can also do full Hendrix/EVH dives as well with the greater pull up/push down range inherent to the design.

3) I finally somehow fell upon this link and others at FruduaTV on YouTube, from tracking down the arguments about the Carl Verheyen theory. Now that I set up my Strat using Frudua's techniques, my tuning is more stable than ever, the Strat action is much smoother, and I understand that somehow Leo Fender got it right again the first time with the vintage Strat bridge design. IMO, of course, YMMV.

I am not linked up with this guy in any way. I just followed his approach and it works. He has several other videos on this same topic that gets into the whys and wherefores and more detail so you can go down the rabbit hole pretty far. But at the end of the day it really works.

The only reason you might need more than 3 springs is if you run super heavy strings or you have really light springs.

The only downside to a floating bridge is if you break a string, but having lived it both ways I am willing to risk having to put down the guitar and pick up a backup in order to have a much better performing tremolo the rest of the time. (And I minimize the risk by changing strings and stretching them/playing them before any gigs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Oyc6slYRc

12. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Those are the vintage ones I was referring to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.