Whaddaya use humbuckers for?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, May 8, 2021.

1. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

I've played R&B, jazz, country, classic rock, funk, you name it, anything but metal with HB guitars and single coil guitars. (nothing against metal - just don't have the chops for the great leads I hear!)

It all depends on if I am in the mood for a smoother attack with more of the fundamental tone or the narrow aperture, more 3D thing that traditional Strat neck, Tele bridge and P90s (esp in the neck of an old archtop) do so well.

It also depends on the amp, the rig and the gig. For louder gigs, low output singles into the clean channel on my Quilter could use a boost and better EQ control (in my opinion...). So if I really want to use that channel but don't want to use a pedalboard, I'll use the buckers.

Tele-friend and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Melting people’s faces off. What else?

3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’m more of a classic/blues rock player. I like the sound of a Tele through a cranked Marshall, but a PAF is, to me, THE sound through a cranked Marshall.

4. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I like Filter’Trons in a duo jet just fine for rock n roll, but would also like to try TV’s Ful Fidelity, the Ray Butts deal... but they’re pretty expensive. I may try if I can find a used set that isn’t gold.

DekeDog likes this.
  5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Paperweights

6. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

For years, I've been looking for humbuckers with the articulation of single coils, and single coils that have the warmth and grit of humbuckers. That has put me close to P-90s, but that's for another thread.

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They make great paper weights.
    Not that good for a door stop.

8. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

High gain RAWK.

Frodebro likes this.
  9. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

Everything. The only sound I consistently miss is the 2 & 4 Strat positions, but I get by.

SamIV likes this.
  10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer single coils for cleans and either single coils or humbuckers for playing distorted. Lately I'm learning a lot of distorted stuff, so my humbucker guitars are getting a lot of use. Very rarely do I like the sound of humbuckers clean though.

11. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i use HB-HBs for really heavy harsh stuff. d-beat, noisy punk, doom/sludge metal. that type of thing.

i use stacked HBs ("noiseless" singles) everywhere else to get rid of the hum but maintain clarity, even for jazz.

but when i get a thinline someday, i will keep the singles and stuff an ilitch coil inside instead.

Ron C likes this.
  12. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

Mostly for blending in with the Telecaster bridge pickup for a fatter mellower sound.

RyCo1983, BFcaster and VonBonfire like this.
  13. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Everything.

Frodebro and VonBonfire like this.
  14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

I use humbuckers when a guitar that I like has humbuckers.

Tone is in the fingers...which also are the things that turn the knobs on the amp.

But, seriously...the difference in scale length between Gibsons and Fenders is a much larger factor than pickup differences, in terms of choosing one over the other for a particular task. A humbucker in a Fender sounds more like a traditional Fender tone than like a traditional Gibson tone.

15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Paperweights mostly.....

16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

My main choice of sound is a P-90 through an overdrive and a boost into the amp de jour.

Some songs just call for the difference a humbucker gives you...

I don’t say, “Oh, this is a country song so I need a single coil,” or “This is blues, so I need a P-90,” or “This is harder rock, so I need a humbucker,” because none of the rules are set in stone...I let the song (and my mood) dictate that for me.

VonBonfire likes this.
  17. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Holic

This. I haven't used a humbucker-equipped guitar in years. I own them but haven't used them, whereas my P-90 or conventional single-coiled guitars see a lot of use.

scottser likes this.
  18. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I use them because they came in the guitar (HH tele) and I have enough unfinished projects. Was going to change them for something else a long time ago, but they have grown on me. They have coil taps but all that does is make them sound weak. If I don't feel like hearing them, I grab a different guitar.

19. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I play border of hard rock and metal... I think. Single coils just doesn't work out for me. They don't drive enough for me. But, I like telecasters. Don't have one now, but I'd like a contemporary telecaster someday, or a Kotzen.

So, it's because of tone for me.

StevesBoogie and VonBonfire like this.
  20. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I like to set things up so that my amp starts to break up at the high end of my guitar's volume range, and I prefer to get any dirt beyond that from a pedal, so humbuckers' higher output isn't the point for me.

The main difference for me between PAF-style hu,buckers and Fender-style single-coils is that the humbuckers have a "denser" tone. I see a single-coil's sound as kind of going around you, while a humbucker more like pushes you.

So what I use between this kinds of pickups is down to which of those sounds I want at a given time. But, as others have said, the difference is rarely so pronounced/crucial as to make a random guy in the middle of the audience declare loudly that you're using the wrong guitar.

summer_69 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.