Whadda ya do when you walk into service and find out that half the Praise team is out?

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
PUNT!! Came in this morning worship leader is out with Covid, Bass player is on call as a meteorologist because of a severe weather threat so he's out and one of our main singers mother died yesterday morning. So we PUNT Key players girlfriend is on vocals the drummer on acoustic our other background singer and me. We throw together a set on the fly and improvised with what we had at 9 this morning.
This is in a Church that runs maybe 75 or so and it still amazes me what we can pull off under duress. Not perfect but pretty presentable I think considering.
Clips--

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
If you help the congregation sing out their praise you have done your part😉
Enter into worship absolutely. Never got the sing along emphasis as some of the deepest times of worship I have experienced were the times where you could hear a pin drop in a service. Times when every one was on their face and the weight was so heavy you couldn't stand. Those are the times where folks LIVES get CHANGED! Played in places where the services looked like the tent revival scene in Blues Brothers 2000 but you rarely saw any one really changed. On the other hand been in places where there was little singing and some no singing where the altars were full and folks left changed. Will take the latter here any day over a singalong service.
Example

And

scooteraz

Friend of Leo's
Well, we panic in that situation; then go full campfire mode….LOL. There might be a couple of replacement songs, as some of what our WL picks would be Really difficult without keyboards (she LOVES really dense jazz chords that change at odd rhythms…). Since we practice on Friday or Saturday before the service, we’d be scrambling.

Appears you did a good job.

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
Always record service it's an old habit from when I was playing with folks who did a lot of spontaneous stuff. Also the tape don't lie and there are times i think something is working in a song and it's not. don't post everything but there are times.
Never know when it goes off on a tangent like this thing from a community event and you get something cool spontaneous and totally off script.

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
PUNT!! Came in this morning worship leader is out with Covid, Bass player is on call as a meteorologist because of a severe weather threat so he's out and one of our main singers mother died yesterday morning. So we PUNT Key players girlfriend is on vocals the drummer on acoustic our other background singer and me. We throw together a set on the fly and improvised with what we had at 9 this morning.
This is in a Church that runs maybe 75 or so and it still amazes me what we can pull off under duress. Not perfect but pretty presentable I think considering.
Clips--

I think you all sounded great.
All of us have been there.
It sounds like people were singing / worshipping with you.. that's a "win" as far as I'm concerned.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
Part of "worship" is lifting our voices to God. Singing the words of God, to God, changes us. Sometimes it's small, sometimes it's big. Hearing and reading the word of God changes us, every time. Sometimes small, sometimes big.

My mantra for people playing music in church is you could hit a key note, and start singing a LOT of songs that the church knows, and start singing and they will sing along. Instruments and all that is nice. But it's not a necessity.

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
This happened to me last Tuesday night. Lost 1/2 of my band. I moved from electric guitar to keyboards: to cover the bass guitar lines.
Added our youth worship leader to play acoustic and sing:
then lost him for the closing song ( he needed to be with a unexpected blessing of more students showing up)
Just five of us: drums, EG and me on keys. But I picked the right closing song, Build My Life. People engaged and worshipped. That what matters the most to me.

Grenville

Tele-Meister
I played for a few years in a church with just a piano player, a trumpet (actually cornet, but like a trumpet) player and me on electric guitar. It worked because it's what we had and we made it work.

Our little piano/cornet/electric guitar team was sometimes supplemented by someone playing organ, but the empathy and flow didn't work the same, the dynamics went out the window.

There was a poor guy who was designated worship leader for 12 months or thereabouts but was not the man for the job, he knew it, the pastor knew it, everyone knew it. Just because someone puts their hand up doesn't mean you are obligated to assign them the task, or are obligated to leave them there when things are obviously not working.

One time the pastor went on leave and left things in the hands of an elder who we didn't get along with so well. We tried to sabotage the services (boo to us!) by playing more aggressively in morning meeting, but our attempts to play ska rhythms were met with "I loved the Hebrew feel to the music today!" from various members of the congregation.

In the bigger, well-resourced church I've been part of this Century, I've kind of missed leaving a few instruments offstage and "making do" with something bare bones once in awhile. It was actually sweet and fun.