WGS G12C/S or CannibusRex for DRRI?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Thinking of switching my Jensen speaker out in my DRRI. Trying to kill some icepick in it.

Amp tech mentioned the WGS, says he has them in stock but would have to order the C-Rex.

Any opinions would be helpful, some other forums have guys saying the WGS is too dark.

thanks!

2. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Can't vouch for the WGS speaker. But I have a C-Rex in my SFDR and it's a great speaker for that amp. Sweetened the top and really helped the bottom. Very efficient and loud. I don't find it too dark...

3. ExiledonMainSt

ExiledonMainSt Tele-Meister

That WGS speaker will definitely kill the ice-pick. It can be a little on the smoky side, but that may be what you're after. Great speaker.

4. Wrong-Note Rod

if by "smoky" you mean dark, I dont want that. The Jensen in the DRRI is good, but, the top end is too harsh.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

The WGS ET65 will tame it.

6. Wrong-Note Rod

I keep hearing about that one, the ET65.

Whats the difference between the ET65 and the G12C/S?

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

UGHHHH want. Still.

I can only vouch for these speakers in a Twin Reissue.. big full tone, high end was perfect.. best backline amp ever :lol:

Different playing styles, though.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I own both (not the smooth cone, though), in Fender amps, but never in my DR. And I haven't done direct a/b comparisons. That said...

My impression is that the WGS sounds a lot like a Jensen, but a bit less bright. Not dark.

The CRex is a great speaker, but it is the least bright of the three, and will impart a bit of it's own color. I'd use the word 'smoky' with the CRex.

I have a Celestion Vintage 30 in my DR, and it sounds fantastic.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ditto. Did the very same for my Blues Cube. It's very smooth tonally.

10. tresspassor

tresspassor Tele-Meister

I've tried both in my HRDX. The ET65 smooths out the top and tightens up the bass. It looses some of that classic fender spank. But it really excels when you play with distortion. It can really cop the feel of a Marshall if you play it loud enough. A really good all-around speaker if you use a lot of pedals.

The G12C/S is voiced like a Jensen in the mids, but has less top end. It still had some spank to it when cranked, but sounded more jazzy at lower volumes. Still sounds pretty decent with overdrive pedals too.

I am using a regular G12C in it now, since I primary use that amp strictly for clean and blues tones. That one is like a jensen with more solid bass and slightly less highs. Super spanky at high volumes without the shards of glass in the ears.

11. DblStop

DblStop Tele-Holic

I have a pair oif the WGS's in my 69 Silver Face Twin and I Love em' !!!

12. ExiledonMainSt

ExiledonMainSt Tele-Meister

I wouldn't necessarily say the G12C/S is dark, it still sounds like a Fender-type speaker. The top is just softer. I had mine paired with a Jensen C12n reissue and they rounded each other out nicely, but I'm not sure Id want one in a single-speaker amp. YMMV, as always.

13. Wrong-Note Rod

thanks to everyone. There are so many speaker choices that its really difficult to decide on one. I'm going to make it easy on myself... the amp tech carries his favorite speakers and I'm going to let him install what he likes, probably the G12C/S. If I hate it, I'll put the "Jensen Special Design" back in the amp, sell the G12, and look for something else.

This amp sounds great as it is, except it gets ice-picky in the upper register when driven hard, as in pushed by a pedal.

I might lose some of the sparkle or whatever you call it, trying to kill the icepick, but, if I cant have one without the other, I'd rather ditch the icepick.. I imagine that would be very noticeable and unpleasant to the audience.

14. moosie

http://fenderguru.com/ notes that in their opinion, the WGS G12C (not S) is the perfect DR speaker. Might be worth a read...

15. Wrong-Note Rod

from that article:

" In the Deluxe Reverb, you might want to consider the bright cap mod with this speaker, since it can be quite sharp and trebly, particularly when distorted. The G12C/s is a little smoother and easier to get along with when the bright switch is on. We believe the WGS G12C/s is one of the most versatile speakers out there. "

I played on the Normal channel last night during band practice, just checking out how it might sound with the bright cap mod. I didnt like it as much as the vibrato channel, even with the icepick.

16. moosie

I went from memory, I hadn't read that in a while. I'm confused. Can't tell if it's good or bad for you... they say:

"The Warehouse G12C is warmer and deeper than the newer Jensen C12n, and with a more open character. It is also more sparkling than older C12n models."

I had remembered that comment, and my personal take on the G12C, to mean they agreed me that it was a) a great DR speaker, and b) less icepick (warmer?) than 'stock'. But then they're comparing to vintage stock, not reissue.

Anyway, sorry for any confusion.

17. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Try a Tone Tubby 40/40, hemp like Rex but with more mids/less bass and a bit more top end sparkle to it.

18. Wrong-Note Rod

no worries mate. If anything, what I read there, seemed to confirm what my amp tech is telling me. So, thanks for posting that, I did find it helpful.

19. moosie

FWIW, the way I got my G12C is that's what David Allen ships with his 1x12 Fender "clones". Or at least he did with my Encore. Not sure if he uses them for his Accomplice (DR)... I suspect so.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.