WGS G12A Speaker in tweed deluxe

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by eman84, Sep 19, 2020.

1. eman84

eman84 TDPRI Member

Hi everyone. Anyway try this speaker in a tweed deluxe? Anyone compare it to a weber 12A125A? or 12A150A? thanks

2. gabasa

gabasa TDPRI Member

I just did tonight for the first time.

I got hold of a pair of 8 Ohm G12A speakers recently, so tonight I put one right into my Champ and the other into my 5E3.
    In the 5E3 amps I've owned, I've had the chance to try Weber's 12A125A, 12A150T, Celestion Blue, Tone Tubby Alnico Red, Jupiter 12LA, Jupiter 12SC and Jupiter 12LC-P.
    To be honest, all the speakers above were satisfying and musical in their own way.
    • My least favorite was the Celestion Blue, even though I know that's a favorite in that amp. I just prefer American-voiced speakers in tweed amps.
    • The Tone Tubby is great in a 5E3. Clark Amps and Trinity sell their versions with the Tone Tubby, and for good reason.
    • The Jupiter 12LA is classic American P12N in style, but more open and airier. It's an amazing fit in a tweed Deluxe circuit.
    • The Jupiter 12LC-P is a great speaker all-around. It's been my overall favorite ceramic 12" for a couple of years now. Very clean, clear, open and musical, but no alnico compression. This is actually a good thing if it's the sound you're after.
    • Of the Webers, I always preferred the A150 series over the A125 series; they're a bit cleaner, bigger and more robust in a way I liked.
    • The WGS is wonderful and it exceeded my expectations. If you want a classic, old-school, American-voiced alnico speaker, the WGS nails it. You will absolutely not regret getting a G12A in your amp.
    I came across your post and thought I'd add this because there's so little user-info regarding the G12A online.
    What did you end up deciding on?

3. eman84

eman84 TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply. I haven’t made a decision yet. I have a 12a125A in my Blankenship fatboy,but at some point I’m gonna get an extension cabinet and try a different speaker in it. It probably depends on what I can find used, either the weber 12a150 or wgs 12a.

4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Can't compare it to the WGS, but the Weber 12A125-whatever sounds great in a 5E3 circuit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.