We've got nine of them plus maybe some cassettes or more lps.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
I remember walking into town, one lunchtime and buying 'Talking Book', at the newly opened Virgin Records shop. When I arrived back at my High School, a number of folks asked me what was in the bag? The reactions, to my purchase, were almost all negative.

I was 15. Uriah Heep were very popular, at the time, I recall- although I didn't care for them, personally.

I still like my choice. :cool:

StratDal

Tele-Afflicted
From Black Sabbath's Vol. 4. Enjoying a fun college memory right now :cool: About to plug in too!

TCA117

Tele-Meister
Alice Coopers "Schools Out" was my first album. Got that and a Record Player for Christmas as a young lad. Thanks Mom. She was quite pleased with the "record wrap" that came with that album ...if anyone recalls?

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Good lord, that was a high water mark for rock music.

It's funny to think about that many great artists making that many classic albums today. That list really shows you how much the quality of pop music has declined over the years.

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
Good lord, that was a high water mark for rock music.

It's funny to think about that many great artists making that many classic albums today. That list really shows you how much the quality of pop music has declined over the years.
And that list is just scratching the surface. Helluva year.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I owned maybe a dozen. In 1972 I was fifteen, still mowing lawns for pin money. I listened to Stones and Beatles, The Doors, Jethro Tull, my mom's Blood Sweat and Tears records, and whatever came on the radio. I'm not ashamed (well maybe a little) to say I liked the Archies Sugar Sugar, and the Monkees, though I guess that would have been a few years earlier. I remember feeling sad that I had been too young to "be a hippie". I wanted to hitchhike across country, to San Francisco.... and meet girls with flowers in their hair...

The following year all this changed, and I got my wish, sort of. I transferred to a better high school, in a small, elite liberal arts college town. My best friend's parents were beat generation college professors. I spent countless hours hanging in their cool Victorian house, with it's high ceilings, tall double-hung windows, quirky roof lines, and fancy-painted scalloped cedar shingle siding. It was the kind of place where the little pile of books beside the toilet might be a mix of Russian lit, now-classic SF, poetry, philosophy, religion, Herbert... Watts... Vonnegut... Castaneda... Zen...

It was like Greenwich Village and Haight-Ashbury combined. Everything about this place was like electricity for my brain. And my friend and his older brother were audiophiles, with broad tastes in music. The sound system was unlike anything I had heard. The entire hang-out room was hung with tapestries on the walls, and the room was lined with cinder block / plank shelving, crammed with a massive record collection.

This was where I was properly introduced to Hendrix, sadly just gone. I heard Box of Rain on American Beauty, and it hit me so hard... and has never stopped doing so. Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Eat a Peach. New Riders. Dylan. Poco. CSN. Creedence.

I feel sorry that my parents never met these people, and that I had difficulty bridging the gap, explaining all the cool stuff I was doing and learning. It was all play, but pivotal, life-changing stuff nonetheless. I still remember the look of utter confusion on my dad's face when I came home one day and proceeded to push most of my bedroom furniture out into the hall, and to remove the door, and replace it with a big American flag. I put the bed on the floor ("on the floor?!") and began making plans to get my own Scott tube amp and Dual turntable.