1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wet sanding lacquer with mineral spirits or H2O does it matter?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Big tuna, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

this is my first wet sanding on lacquer, I have used tru oil before and I tried re ranch blonde and 2 cans of lacquer on this one. is one wet solution better than the other or does it matter. I searched past threads and didn't see much on the matter. thanks

2. urbancowboy1919

urbancowboy1919 TDPRI Member

Hey, guitar maker in Az here. I used to use soapy water for wet sanding when I first started as that is how I was shown. Soap is a must if you use water, as it adds the necessaey lubrication so the sandpaper doesn'r build up to quickly. I use dish soap, Dawn or something of the like that has a nice sent to it.

However, while looking up suggestions for a very time sensative build, I read about mineral spirits. Now, given the choice it is my sanding lube of choice. There is no risk of water getting into the holes and making the wood expand. Mineral spirits has less tendancy to allow the paper to build up as well. The only downside is the smell even with the "odorless" stuff. I also tend to wear gloves to keep it off my hands. Nitrile or something of the like. Hope this helps.

My end all is that mineral spirits works better for me, however I dont always have it on hand so then I use water and soap. Mineral spirits work better, just a little stinky

3. urbancowboy1919

urbancowboy1919 TDPRI Member

^^Nice scent to it.

4. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

I always use very-slightly-soapy water, but yes, keep it away from the holes/raw wood, or it will crack!

5. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i use baby oil, its easier to control than water.

shove some wax or cotton into all the screw holes.

6. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

man I forgot about baby oil ! I use mineral spirits on tru oil. I think I will go with it. I think someone even mentioned mineral oil.besides I forgot about plugging all the holes. thanks for suggestions !

7. J.E.M.

J.E.M. Tele-Meister

Naptha to me is better than mineral spirits and light years ahead of soapy water which will no doubt cause you some problems unless you go out of your way...

8. 0018g

0018g Tele-Meister

I use naphtha as well. Works for me.

9. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

blond t body 004.jpg

blond t body 003.jpg []well after trying to flatten the lacquer I still have some orange peel but im afraid to keep going after 2 cans of lacquer it seems like its not enuff and I don't want to sand through . after posting pics I see you cant tell were its still not quite there. that re ranch blond sure changes color depending on the light

10. Robert.II

Robert.II Tele-Meister

If you're feeling that there's not enough on there then spray another can or two and wet sand again. I've seen people use 5-8 cans, some use only 3. I most commonly use 3-5 depending on how its going on, but I use something different from a lot of others. I use Watco Clear Gloss Lacquer.

11. tnt423

tnt423 Tele-Meister

Plus 1 on the mineral spirits, I got lucky a few years ago when a furniture repair shop closed , I bought some supplies from them and they threw in about 5 gallons of unopened jugs. Sure helps around the holes, I still plug them but it doesn't matter if I missed a spot.

12. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

yeah I wish I had put at least one more can on it. I haven't sanded through yet but after paying so much for re ranch paint I don't want to mess it up. 5 gal of mineral spirits ! man that's some bucks there if you got it from lowes ! what a score.

13. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Naphtha here. Had an issue with lacquer swelling around holes on headstock. Heck no to water...just make sure you use gloves and in a vented area. But in my opinion, naphtha is far safer than other chems. Just use those nice nitrile gloves they sell at Lowes.

14. Robert.II

Robert.II Tele-Meister

I have used water a few times and my first attempt definitely upset me after a bunch of holes had swollen, I've had success with Naptha and would continue using it.

I don't see why you couldn't spray more on top.

15. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Tele-Holic

The surface tension of the wetting agent also affect the speed of the cut. The more tension, the slower the cut. Think of it as the sandpaper 'floating' above the surface.

Mineral spirits have about half the tension of water (water varies substantially based on temperature, MS not so much.)

Mineral spirits will have a faster cutting action compared to water.

Adding soap to water changes this substantially.

16. surfoverb

what do you mean you used 2 cans of reranch?

I used about 3/4 of a can of reranch butt blonde and then 4 cans of minwax clear. the more color you use the darker and less transparent it gets

i would say shoot a bunch of clear but then you'd have to wait another month or 3 before sanding again.

just be very careful, and dont even look at the edges with sandpaper in your hands and you shouldnt get too many sand throughs

[​IMG]

17. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

I used about 3/4 of the reranch blond so it would be transparent and that was plenty I shot the sides a little more opaque . I sanded a little more orange peel out last night and have been using the mineral spirits. I may live with it I hate to put more lacquer on and wait 4-5 more weeks. this has been an 8 week project already.

18. surfoverb

how much clear? I used 4 cans and still got a few very minor sandthroughs-no big deal though you dont notice after a few months because by then the guitar picks up some natural dings and scratches from normal play wear.

19. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

I put 2 cans of lacquer on it. im not even thinking about getting to edge with sanding. next time I will go with 4 cans if I ever do another lacquer paint job ! I like tru oil faster and less screw up on my part. no patience a character defect.

20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

3-5 cans of lacquer? I've never used more than two. Less now that I use Behlens instrument lacquer. Are you sanding back the finish after the first coat? I use reranches sanding schedule.

As far as lubricants for sanding I always used water by itself. If your holes are swelling you are using too much water. Let it dry out a little bit before you go to the next grit. Time is your friend in finishing.

Some other builders have said Mineral Spirits leave solids on the finish that don't evaporate off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.