Wet Pedalboard

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Paul in Colorado, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I got rainned out at a gig today. In spite of the pop-up with sides, things got pretty wet. When I got home there were still dropletts on my pedals. I towel dried them carefully and put them under a lamp to warm them up a bit. I guess I could have used a hair dryer, but didn't think of it until now. They seem to be fine, I'm going let them sit outside of the soft case I have until it's totally dry. The guitars got a bit wet as well. I'l do a plug in test tomorrow.

Other then prevention, what are some tips for drying pedals? Any horror stories or horror stories with happy endings?

2. Jazzy Jay

Jazzy Jay Tele-Meister

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I took the bottom plates off and put them on a drying rack on top of a radiator for a day. Didn't fire 'em up until I was certain they were completely dry. All worked fine.

3. markxander

markxander Tele-Holic

If anything doesnt work right, open it up and put it in a bowl of dry rice which should suck out the moisture

4. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

This. Submerge the pedals in a bucket of rice for 24-48 hours.

5. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

I would suggest placing the pedals in a sock to prevent any rice getting into any ports.

6. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I had the same problem years ago when my practice room floor flooded after an unusually heavy rain.

I took my pedals to a friend that did electronics work at a local music store. He opened up the pedal dried off the PC board with a towel and sprayed the PC board with WD-40.

I asked him what good would the WD-40 do and he asked me if I knew what the WD stood for. Water Displacement!

Put the pedal back together and it worked like new.

7. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

I had a hard rain on my gear not long ago - let it dry. As long as it is rainwater, all should be okay. It was for me.

:eek:)

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

The rice method! I just saw that on a crime show. A guy had info on a cell phone that got wet, so he hid it in a bag of rice in his kitchen to dry. He was allergic to rice so he didn't eat it and it was the key factor to solving the case.

After a day of sitting out while the case dried, everything seems fine. Thanks, all!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.