Wet dry wet stereo pedal board sized amps.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Newbcaster, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Hey folks. I plan to start gigging again. It's been a long time. Like many of you I've got all the amps I could want for my studio really, except for a gibson 20 watt, an old scandal and a hi watt slave.

I'm 44 now and all Marshall stacks and fender bassmans are just too heavy and too damn loud.

What I think I need is these new to me pedal board sized micro amps.

What I theorize the signal chain to be is:

Guitar-4knob tube driver-thorpy gunshot-10 ton hammer-univibe-sliderig compressor-bbe sonic mazimizer-
    Amp1-demeter real reverb- stereo tremulator-boss space echo, boss chorus-splitter-amp 2-amp3

I could be persuaded to have all 3 the same or different.

I have custom 1 speaker boxes for each amp, very light.

What mps should I buy?

2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I'm 44 like you and i'm building a wet / dry set up. :):):)

I'm using 2 Vox Pathfinder rehoused in 2 different cabs, in one a use a 1x12 speaker that i already have and the other the wet side i'll be probably using a 1x12, i take the heads off the Pathfiner 10 and use them with the new cabs, they have plenty of volume and a nice line out.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Newbcaster likes this.
  3. Jef

Jef Tele-Holic

I'm 42 myself... ;-)
    I'm using two Peavey Bandits for the wets ( a 65 and a teal stripe 112).

at the moment I'm converting an old stereo record player with two 6 watt tube amps inside as a stereo amp for the wet signals (with two 8" cabinets).

Newbcaster likes this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you're handy with basic tools, there's stereo Class D boards aplenty on Etat etc. They are rated rather optimistically, but if you consider they're advertised at twice the actual power you'll not go far wrong. They're cheap, effective and sound rather good. Add in a PSU, some socketry and a case and you're in business.
    That's one option for the dual wet side(s) of things. I've played about with plenty of these cheapo boards, from a couple of Watts stereo to a 50 Watt mono and many points in between and they're a bargain. Go for a switched mode 'modular' PSU rather than a traditional transformer/rectifier/cap bank or your costs will spiral.

Electro-Harmonix market the Magnum 44, which is a mono Class D in pedal format. Fine sounding and barking loud. The PSU is twice the size of the amp though, and is a large laptop type.

Mooer market the Baby Bomb, another mini Class D in a pedal format. Youtube reviews seem generally favourable.

Newbcaster likes this.
  5. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

what is etat??

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ebay. The electronic emporium of tat, plus amplifiers :)

Newbcaster likes this.
  7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

so the whole idea of this is to make everything lightweight and on wheels... what are people doing for speaker cabs?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.