Wet/Dry Setup for Gigging - Dry Amp Needed

Shinrock

TDPRI Member
Time for everyone’s favorite game: choose me an amp!

I’m running a two-amp setup for gigs in a wet/dry format, playing modern country and classic rock. All wet effects are routed to a Supro Keeley Custom 12. I need to (editor’s note: WANT to) find a dry amp to pair with it (taking only gain pedals and possibly reverb).

Here’s what I want from the dry amp:

-Tubes all around (love me the tubes)
-1x12 or 2x12 combo
-Nice mid-pushed low gain breakup (wet amp is mostly flat eq, dry amp should fill the spectrum gaps with edge-of-breakup tone; heavier gain will come from pedals)
-10 to 30 watts WITH master volume/attenuation (it will be mic’ed)
-Budget max of $1,200 USD (used gear is absolutely on the table)

Everything else is negotiable (reverb, trem, fx loop, etc.).

Amps I’ve considered so far (within budget):
-Vox AC15c1 (or AC30)
-Supro Black Magick Reverb
-Fender ‘65 Princeton FSR 1x12
-Orange Tremlord

Share your thoughts. You know you want to.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Vox AC15c1 (or AC30)

Since I recently bought one of these myself, I don't think you can go wrong with it. It's been around for decades and decades and been used by all sort of folks. I replaced the tubes with vintage NOS and also replaced the reverb tank (cause the one in the modern one is kinda meh...) and I kept the greenback speaker in it. I'm thinking about replacing it with a C ruby alnico, but haven't done that yet. Anyway, not familiar with the other amps you mentioned but the AC15 is a darn nice amp IMO. You should be able to get into one of these on the used market for under 600 usd. Good luck man!

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
I would vote for the Orange Tremlord - it's the least scooped sounding amp out of that list. And you could try different speakers too if the stock one doesn't do it for you.

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
I use a two amp rig and I like to set one drier, darker, dirtier and thicker and the other brighter less dirty with more effects (reverb Delay trem sometimes touch of chorus)

For the drier darker amp I use Marshall, Vox AC30 and Genz Benz Black Pearl and they all work very well in that setup. Cleaner brighter amp is Fender DRRI

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
Not sure how much a Marshall SV20C is going for in the US, but that would be my tip. It has a 10" speaker, but you won't hear it, if you didn't know. Also, a 2525C has a lot of cool sounds onboard from clean to mean, very effective EQ and the combo sounds huge.

Vox depends a little on the guitar, I'd say. I find, with humbuckers they can be tricky to dial in(bass cut would be cool to have on these) and they do not love every overdrive pedal.
But if you like the Vox chime and want a little better working EQ, I'd also recommend the Black Pearl, still a steal in the used market and a more refined AC30 sound (think Matchless DC).

Bikersluggo

Tele-Holic
You could probably get into a used Dr Z Maz18. They come in all kinds of different configurations (1x12, 2x10, head, reverb or nonreverb). I have the 2x10 nonreverb. Not a heavy gain amp, but can do the mid focused edge of breakup thing really well. Has an effects loop and a pedal activated boost.

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
ANY used tube amp should be checked out by a tech before use - and anything over 15-20 years old not even turned on until it's checked for recent filter cap (and bias cap in fixed bias amps) replacement.

The Vox AC15HWTV (the hand-wired AC15 with both Top Boost and EF86 preamp channels) is in that price range, will maintain (or increase) in value, is easy and less expensive to service if needed and covers a huge tonal range with excellent headroom.

I sold one recently only because I can't gig any longer due to physical issues, but up to that point I took it and my Holland Little Jimi (or '66 DR) to every gig, with one as a backup or using both in a similar dirty/clean setup.

Shinrock

TDPRI Member
You could probably get into a used Dr Z Maz18.
Because the universe is mean, I actually had one of these last year (1x12, non-reverb). But I sold it when I bought the Supro. I wasn’t able to play two-amp gigs at the time, and the Supro was better with my pedals.

Thanks for reminding me to kick myself again. 😣

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
My stock answer for tube combos under $1,000 — the Marshall DSL40CR

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
Nobody mentions Laney very often but that's my recommendation. A Laney VC30 can be had used for around $500 in mint condition. I have a few and love them.

Zappastectomy

TDPRI Member
Time for everyone’s favorite game: choose me an amp!

I’m running a two-amp setup for gigs in a wet/dry format, playing modern country and classic rock. All wet effects are routed to a Supro Keeley Custom 12. I need to (editor’s note: WANT to) find a dry amp to pair with it (taking only gain pedals and possibly reverb).

Here’s what I want from the dry amp:

-Tubes all around (love me the tubes)
-1x12 or 2x12 combo
-Nice mid-pushed low gain breakup (wet amp is mostly flat eq, dry amp should fill the spectrum gaps with edge-of-breakup tone; heavier gain will come from pedals)
-10 to 30 watts WITH master volume/attenuation (it will be mic’ed)
-Budget max of $1,200 USD (used gear is absolutely on the table)

Everything else is negotiable (reverb, trem, fx loop, etc.).

Amps I’ve considered so far (within budget):
-Vox AC15c1 (or AC30)
-Supro Black Magick Reverb
-Fender ‘65 Princeton FSR 1x12
-Orange Tremlord

Share your thoughts. You know you want to.
Friedman Runt Used