Wet/Dry Rig with Vox AC15 and a Universal Audio UAFX Dream Amp/Cab Simulator

HandOfIke

Tele-Meister
Hi

I've wanted to get into Wet/Dry style amp setups for a while but have not been able to find the room for 2 amps either at home or in most of the places I play due to stage size and practicality of carrying so much gear.

Now that Universal Audio have released the Dream Amp/Cab sim pedal based on the Fender Deluxe Reverb I'm really excited to use it and go for it. So for my Dry (Dirty) sounds I'll use a Vox AC15 miked up on stage and feed the Wet (Delay/Reverb/Post Dirt Modulation) DI straight to the desk to get the mix sound. I've no need for stereo so not going Wet/Dry/Wet just separate the Wet and Dry into 2 channels mono.

Perfect that works and so it would work in rehearsals as I can mix exactly the same way into a PA.

But how to use at home? I will have the AC15 set up and I already have an 8 track mixer that I use to record but I only use headphones to monitor. Now I want to get the wet/dry experience here to practice, and it doesn't have to be perfect just needs to work well enough. If I add a pair of Yamaha HS5 monitors to my mixing desk and DI from the UA Dream into here will I be able to get a decent enough approximation to use with the Vox for a workable Wet/Dry home experience?

Many thanks for reading.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm not familiar with the Yamaha HS5's, but I use powered monitors (Alesis M1 Active MK2) and I think that 'works well enough' is a pretty low bar for the wet signals. Bonus from your mixer and a pair of monitors, wet/dry/wet at home would be easy and sound great.

HandOfIke

Tele-Meister
I'm not familiar with the Yamaha HS5's, but I use powered monitors (Alesis M1 Active MK2) and I think that 'works well enough' is a pretty low bar for the wet signals. Bonus from your mixer and a pair of monitors, wet/dry/wet at home would be easy and sound great.
Thanks

I'm pretty sure it'll be good the Yamaha are active too with 45W of power so plenty and they're very natural sounding (I'm told) and yes I'd definitely be working that W/D/W with some stereo delay and chorus!

tomasz

Tele-Holic
The easiest to try out wet/dry at home is to go direct into a sound card, if you can sacrifice the guitar speaker experience, or want to use IR or cab sim. I tried my first wet/dry/wet like that and was amazed what it can do to sound. If you like it, you're lost and you will look at amps :) I currently use most frequently a setup with one amp that delivers the guitar tone, and both wet channels being added on top (or bottom) via sound card or the PA. The dry amp can be used as your monitor onstage too.

HandOfIke

Tele-Meister
The easiest to try out wet/dry at home is to go direct into a sound card, if you can sacrifice the guitar speaker experience, or want to use IR or cab sim. I tried my first wet/dry/wet like that and was amazed what it can do to sound. If you like it, you're lost and you will look at amps :) I currently use most frequently a setup with one amp that delivers the guitar tone, and both wet channels being added on top (or bottom) via sound card or the PA. The dry amp can be used as your monitor onstage too.
Thanks

I am looking for the speaker experience so the monitors would be good but yeah I can certainly give it a go, alas my iMac speakers aren't great and won't be able to settle with the AC at a decent volume.

Im guessing there'd be no noticeable latency issues matching an amp and a DI sim? I'm guessing no as many people do it.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
Thanks

I am looking for the speaker experience so the monitors would be good but yeah I can certainly give it a go, alas my iMac speakers aren't great and won't be able to settle with the AC at a decent volume.

Im guessing there'd be no noticeable latency issues matching an amp and a DI sim? I'm guessing no as many people do it.
I haven't noticed any.. I actually run monitors from the sound card, so that gives the 3d sound. With real amps you may also experience the in phase/out of phase thing in a wet/dry setup.

HandOfIke

Tele-Meister
I haven't noticed any.. I actually run monitors from the sound card, so that gives the 3d sound. With real amps you may also experience the in phase/out of phase thing in a wet/dry setup.
Yeah I'm expecting to have to get something that can correct the phase

Awesome thanks