1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

western themed partscaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mstan72, Feb 11, 2018.

1. mstan72

mstan72 TDPRI Member

Leftover parts from a chinacaster, laying out the design as close as I can get to something a bored cowboy with a bounty on his head could have whittled out in any spare time he may have had...

...going to age the wood as best I can to resemble the wood on a relic rifle kept in an attic for a hundred years.

The switch/tone/volume is backwards, its intentional...a former pastor and very good friend showed me this easy trick for being able to reach the volume for mimicking steel guitar on a six string years ago...if you listen to much southern gospel you probably heard his work on 80s-90s recordings.

My plan for a full set of benders is on hold for now, this one is getting b and g, and a d tuner, the '72 deluxe-ish headstock will be a nice touch I think...not everyone's cup of tea but it'll be fun :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Country Strummer

Country Strummer TDPRI Member

Very cool

3. mstan72

mstan72 TDPRI Member

Thank you!

I'm still working on tweaking the layout, hopefully I can put blade to wood tonight or tomorrow...I'm anxious to get it playable.

4. Country Strummer

Are you using your own bender system on this one? If so I'd love to see pics!

mstan72 likes this.
  5. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

That's nice! Please keep us updated with pictures.

mstan72 likes this.
  6. mstan72

mstan72 TDPRI Member

The setup I'm designing is for guitars without on-board or installed benders, it's been in my noggin for a few years but only recently been moved to design phase (read as: I have drawings and parts to gather to attempt a prototype). It will be a challenge, but I like that. I don't want to infringe on anyone else's intellectual property or patents so I'm waiting to show it publicly until I research a bit more...once I do that I want to present it to others for critiquing.

This guitar is getting at least one in-body mechanism, I just like the strap pull type, not sure yet if b or g is getting to use that one...I'm leaning towards a paddle on the back to activate the second one.

Will definitely post updates and photos of what I come up with.

The maintenance guys where I work are interested in this as well, so when they work weekends I have help with stuff I can't make at home...I wish I had access to their exclusive club/ machine room, all I get to make on my cnc machines are aftermarket performance gears lol.

Snowcave likes this.
  7. Country Strummer

Sounds really cool

mstan72 likes this.
  8. mstan72

mstan72 TDPRI Member

I haven't abandoned this build, it just got put on hold for a bit while the work situation was in turmoil, and dealing with attorneys and the county on property I sold them, dealing with realtors buying something further out of town, and a sick wife :(

The good news is "Texas Red" is a complete, playable tele, with a reversed plate and four way switch mod, holding off on the bender(s) for now as I decided NOT to rout out the backside, instead it will be similar to the setup someone on here makes, combined with a re-engineered parsons type mechanism contained in a color case hardened unit that I'm hoping will be 3/8" thick at most...the only holes drilled will be for the rod(s) that goes/go through the body, below the bridge where the knob(s) will serve as in a typical setup. It is purely the aesthetics of the color case hardening contrasting the stained wood that is leading me this direction...if Aldo Uberti made guitars that went with his old west reproduction items that go boom...(trying to stay non-political here, as per the rules, don't wanna set off a firestorm with any three letter words...), spaghetti westerns were something Dad and I enjoyed together, this guitar is an attempt to reflect that.

9. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Holic

Post some pics when you can. Here's my scrap wood cowboy partscaster... scrap wood.JPG scrap wood 2.JPG

Deeve, Barncaster, Fiesta Red and 4 others like this.
  10. mstan72

mstan72 TDPRI Member

11. mstan72

mstan72 TDPRI Member

Here it is in early stages of laying out what would be hand carved into the body...

[​IMG]

after the carving began...I hadn't yet got the red/black pearloid pickguard...
    [​IMG]

after application of my homemade stain...I actually wanted it to look like it was pieced together from multiple pieces of wood, looks like I achieved what I wanted :p
    [​IMG]

pieced together checking for issues...notice I replaced the original barrel bridges with gotoh compensated ones...not only is the tone better with these, but it actually intonates wonderfully now.
    [​IMG]

I think this is after the 8th coat of lacquer...

[​IMG]

The headstock decal I settled on...

[​IMG]

I will get pics of the assembled sum of parts soon, maybe a little video of my amateurish efforts at playing. I've played rhythm guitar at church for years, even been on a stage or two here at home and in Nashville, and one telethon in East Tenn a decade or so ago...if nothing else, this lil gal (yes, i assumed her gender, she hasn't complained as of yet) has inspired me to learn something new, self improvement of the most enjoyable kind :)

edchavez, Barncaster, 2blue2 and 3 others like this.
  12. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Cool, what did you carve it with? CNC Lazer, Dremel, rusty pocket knife?
    I would like to do some thing like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.