Western Snow Plows

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I have an old one on my CJ7. Today it decided to not turn. I checked fluid level and since it was low, I added some.

Probably stirred up something evil in the pump as now it won’t go up or down as well.

So I will probably take off the pump and give it a good cleaning. I haven’t touched it in 4 years...

It is cable operated. Cables run from an interior joystick through the firewall out to the pump.

To remove the pump, the cables need to be disconnected at the pump. It has me baffled. I need some ideas.

2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

do you mean cables, as in electric cables running to the pump, or mechanical cables? if it is the former, you first of all need to sort through all of the wiring to look for shorts in the wire, and then look at the switches/solenoids, whatever you want to call them, on the pump. I had an old western unimount plow and the wiring is prone to shorts with age and use.

3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I ran the same set-up on my '49 Willys CJ-2A decades ago. What I recall was the importance of choosing the right fluid...especially when it got really cold outside. I've seen people use ATF, synthetic brake fluid, etc....just depends on your situation. A fluid change sure couldn't hurt as they do break down over time and develop some suspension of rust flakes.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    Mechanical cables

5. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    When I was plowing a Friday it started out fine: up and down left and right. A pure delight to use. Then it stuck full left. Phooey! But it was angled in direction that allowed me to finish.

Today I went out to touch up. Started out fine with the up and down. Then it decided to not raise

Pump makes all of the right noises.

6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Because nothing works I would review the electrical connections, you still have a 12V motor that runs the hydraulic pump.

Buckocaster51 and Milspec like this.
  7. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

OK, possibly if the fluid was really low you may have introduced air into your system, not real sure how to bleed that system but worth a look.

Wallo Tweed and Buckocaster51 like this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The only way to find a gremlin is to scorch the earth until he has no place to hide. Since it has been awhile since it was serviced, it is time to dismantle it and clean / repair / replace until that hiding place it obvious.

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  9. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    I have it in the heat tent today. Trying to get it warm enough so I don’t leave my fingertips on the metal.

Milspec, imwjl and getbent like this.
  10. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    57D07A89-5E78-44D4-91B2-9322AAB64B9F.jpeg

The filter and fluid seem to be clean and not plugged

getbent likes this.
  11. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    Hmmmm...install o-ring. Not an o-ring to be found. I wonder how much fluid has been squirting out.

8216CE6A-0CC4-4369-AFD3-76F322870ED1.jpeg

Milspec likes this.
  12. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    There seem to be some in the official rebuild bag...

C56C09F2-B39C-493C-A1A7-26AB3F4F42D1.jpeg

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

OUTSTANDING!

14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Plow I had was a Meyer I got from a brother in law. An old thing that'd been cobble mounted onto several trucks before I pulled it off an old Chevy and cobbled it onto an old Dodge.
    The bro-in-law had some Meyer's hydrolic fluid and said to change it every fall or else. Of course I never changed it. And it worked great for the 3 or 4 years I had it.
    In 2,009 I moved off that lake place, (ex-wife stayed) and I gave the old Dodge to my brother along with the plow. It was then remounted on yet another pickup, another Chevy.
    My brother has had issues but started doing regular fluid changes and using fluid specifically for snow plows. Apparently the fluid changes help a lot.
    From what I've gathered over the years pickup snow plows are pretty sensitive to water and contamination in hydraulic fluid. ATF would be fine if they didn't have to operate in sub zero temps. Up here that's easily -20 and colder!
    I've even seen people use aircraft hydrolic fluid in them but I think if you buy the special stuff from the plow manufacturers and change it every fall you'd be fine too.
    We do use ATF in the plows I use now but those things have a huge resivor, big pumps, big filters and they're kept in heated buildings. Basically they're dump trucks with three plows, the main front plow, an "underbody" under the cab and a wing.
    With a pickup plow you've got maybe a quart of fluid with a little screen for a filter and very small passages for it to go through. Doesn't take much to cause trouble.
    After that you've got those damned Western cables and electrical problems to deal with.

Milspec and Buckocaster51 like this.
  15. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    since I have found no o-rings in places where there should be o-rings, I am assuming they are floating around some place.

there was some black sludge at the bottom of the pump housing. ;)

I used a turkey baster to suck 2.3 20oz pop bottles of fluid out of there.

tomorrow it goes back together with new fluid

I really don’t want to take apart the valve bodies...but I do hVe the gaskets to do it

Milspec and getbent like this.
  16. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Between You and the pump, my money is on you coming out on top. Give 'er hell.

BobbyZ likes this.
  17. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Well as a heavy equipment mechanic for the last 30 years the first thing I gathered here was.. You and just about everyone that responded is overthinking this. First thing here is the system your describing is about the simplest no nonsense tinker toy foolproof system there is. Two things could be going on here. 1 being the pump is no longer being turned by the 12v motor or PTO depending on your system or 2 the oil is not being sent to where you want it. Generally meaning a stuck relief valve. You could literally piss in your hydraulic tank and the pump wouldn't care so long as it has something to pump. In other words if the pumps not moving piss or oil its not moving cylinders. If the spool valve is not sending that piss or oil to where its suppose to its not moving cylinders. Its really that simple. On a side note as old as this pump most likely is I'd say its an old gear type. meaning its damn near bullet proof and you'd be hard pressed to kill it moving a plow blade. My guess is you got a piece of crap stuck somewhere up in that spool valve bypassing oil back to tank. Provided the pumps even turning.

BobbyZ likes this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a 20 year old 4 wheeler and the electric winch quit in me a few days ago. Both the plow and the 4wheeler are on fumes. I have a warm window to seek out the problem.

I am getting older, so I am thinking of adding a plow to my CJ-7, which I plan on rebuilding the engine this summer. I keep debating which way to go.

BobbyZ and Buckocaster51 like this.
  19. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    The pump spins, of that I am certain.

I will study up on that spool valve thingy.

Thanks.

BTW - I am NOT heavy equipment mechanic. Can you tell? :)

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.