Western Red Cedar Build Question

torodurham

Tele-Holic
Has anyone used WRC for a neck?
Considering using it for the neck as well as body of a new strat style build.
It's perfectly quarter sawn with nice tight growth rings, but I know it's soft compared to other woods and am just not sure I should try it...so asking if any1 has attempted using it b4 I commit to it.
DA truss rod with pao ferro FB will be part of neck build if I do it.
Very intriguing wood..light and resonant...hmmm.

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Not WRC, but I have built Southern Red Cedar. The tiger stripe red with white stripes. It is soft but very strong. As is generally known, I do not use trussrods per sey and have not had any problems of note 😁

S00NERMAN

Tele-Holic
Cedar makes for a great body wood, but I would hesitate in building a neck from it. There are better choices out there. But that is just my humble opinion.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Western red cedar has an elastic modulus of 1,111,000 lb/in^2. Honduran manogany is 1,458,000 and hard maple is 1,830,000. I have use WRC for the top of one of my favorite acoustics, it is very similar to spruces but a little less stiff. It would not be my choice for a neck.

There is a cedar that is sometimes used for necks on classical guitars, Spanish cedar. It has a Youngs modulus considerably higher than WRC but less than the other commonly used neck woods.

Now if you were building an acoustic and looking for a top....

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Has anyone used WRC for a neck?
Considering using it for the neck as well as body of a new strat style build.
It's perfectly quarter sawn with nice tight growth rings, but I know it's soft compared to other woods and am just not sure I should try it...so asking if any1 has attempted using it b4 I commit to it.
DA truss rod with pao ferro FB will be part of neck build if I do it.
Very intriguing wood..light and resonant...hmmm.

They said I couldn't make a neck out of quartersawn eastern white pine. I did it. It has a truss rod. If your neck doesn't work out...make another neck...life is too short to not know.... Pine-o-rama 2015 build challenger guitar ......Pine neck, pine pickguard, pine body, pine pickup bobbin.
pine neck.jpg

pine body.jpg

take chances.png

Last edited: