1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Western MA Berkshires, NW CT, Albany/Troy...anybody...?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Jan 20, 2021.

1. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Greenfield MA is a nice town in Western MA. Couple of venues there. Nice art/music scene. My band played there once before all this.

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Rt 100
    Scout it out, bro!
    I need some recon.
    Probably be there in August.

Chuckster likes this.
  3. charlie chitlin

This is what I've been thinking.
    But if you check the musician classifieds on CL for that whole area, it seems creepily dead.
    Maybe it's in plague mode.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If I can cast the net further north I gotta true story. I once had a girlfriend who was originally from Plattsburgh. The story is that she was conceived under the Lake Placid ski jump, when her parents-to-be were still in high school. Apparently, there was an old wives' tale that you couldn't get pregnant the first time. There -- a story and a sex ed lesson.

charlie chitlin likes this.
  5. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Well, that's one source. But I think if you looked for bar/theater bookings and festivals, you'd find a lot. If you have some way to look at some local indie newszine from 2019 and look at the ads in it, that might show the bar bookings, and, the web will have sites for the festivals and theaters.

Looks like The Valley Advocate is the indie paper in Springfield. The website has an Events calendar, I filtered it to June 2019 and the Music category, and found TONS of listings in many different genres in and beyond that town.

6. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

brattleboro has or had one of the best folk instrument stores i've ever been to outside of the folk music school in chicago. right by the big parking lot in the middle of town.

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

dead air studios puts out a lot of great punk and hardcore recordings and will and meg consistently are in great new bands.

8. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

If I was headed in that general direction, I’d be thinking Saranac Lake. Unfortunately, Mrs. Steerforth is allergic to snow. I miss my snowshoes.

But, Mrs. Steerforth is a way better thing to have in my life than snowshoes. So I guess I’ll keep her and forego the snow.

9. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mine is 95%? original WL, no A or G or C since I installed an aftermarket chain guard. (at the time, I wasn't adept enough to repair the broken stud w/spring for adjusting chain). Forgot that somebody spray bombed it too. No clue what it would sell for now. I'll go take a quick peek.

That was a waste, prices are anywhere from what I paid 10 yrs. ago (8K to over 20K) plus I have a couple extra bottom ends, heads, old very clean windshield, seat pan etc.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  10. charlie chitlin

Cool. I restored a LOT of them in the early 90s. We bought a 40' open top shipping container of them that we found in Greece, and a bunch more in Russia, with some 741 Indians, that surfaced after glasnost. A guy I knew was there looking for Stukas, but only found motorcycles.
    My first old creaker was a 47WL.

MickM likes this.
  11. MickM

Are you taking the BP Specials with you or going to put something new together? Solo gig?

12. charlie chitlin

Gonna have to find a new band!
    I'm sure it will be an excruciating process that will reduce me to a quivering mass of gelatin several times.
    I always say I just want to JOIN a band...just be the guitar player...no damn microphones...but it never happens.
    And...The BP Specials only has 1 original member besides me.
    I write the songs, sing them, do the arranging, book the gigs, take care of the money, deal with the (now defunct) label, get the CDs printed, deal with the radio consultant and PR dude...etc.
    So...I basically AM The BPS.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  13. MickM

Maybe you can find somebody who does a similar style/established band to what you do now who would take on another guitar player. If you can step back into a "2nd fiddle" role the right guy might be amenable. I think having two differen't pickers makes for a much more enjoyable show than hearing one guys style/licks all night.
    The Marty Stuart/Kenny Vaughn pair up comes to mind.

14. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

He's still there, my kids' ukuleles came from him. Much of the music scene and vibe of that town has left in the last few years as younger folks either leave or get caught up in the drug and crime scene.

15. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I remember doing a gig at the Schenectady Curling Club.

You think I'm joking.

charlie chitlin likes this.
  16. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.