West Virginia-

Discussion in 'US Member Clubs' started by TwangBilly, Jul 16, 2013.

1. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

Let it be my honor to start the "Mountain State" thread. Come on Hillbilly Pickers, let's hear from y'all!

I'm in Mason County, on the western border about mid-ways of the state where the Kanawha and Ohio rivers intersect.

I have a G.E. Smith Tele and a vintage
    Music Man 130w tube amp, and a few other amps and a few pedals.

Besides that I play mandolin, I have an Alvarez which is my main player, a 1940 Martin A-style and a 1969 Gibson F-5.
    I also have several vintage Martins.

2. Brudr

Brudr Tele-Meister

Just saw this , Twangbilly. I'm playing mainly West Coast style blues on some Partscasters (P90 and Filtertron equipped). I' m right beside you in Putnam County (Teays Valley) and originally from St. Albans.

3. TwangBilly

Hey Brudr, it's ironic that you just posted this today and I just happened to log in after not being on here for months haha.
    Good to hear from you! I'm just down the Kanawha from you a few miles.
    I bet those filtrons sound neat on a Tele.
    I put Barden's in mine last fall and love them!

4. pmeisel

pmeisel TDPRI Member

Hey guys, I am not a very good player, but I entertain myself on an ASAT in Hurricane.

5. TwangBilly

^I'm not much good either so you are in good company! Lol

6. ericrutters

ericrutters TDPRI Member

spent the weekend out that way once in the Garret. co, hotel :( weekend of allgood festival 2009

7. thejerk

thejerk Tele-Meister

I'm holding down the fort in Glenville (Gilmer county), smack in the middle of the state.

Not much to do here except crank up the tweed deluxe and let 'er rip!

8. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

I went to grad school at WVU - Morgantown's a nice, friendly town. Did a lot of rock climbing at Cooper's Rock and New River Gorge (love Fayetteville). Great state and great folks. I'm currently living in the state I grew up in, but have fond memories of "Blue Ridge mountains, Shenandoah River - life is old there..."

9. flatpicker1966

flatpicker1966 Tele-Meister

Holler at me sometime.I live in St.Albans&would like to get back into picking,a little.Haven't played anywhere for a while.

10. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Im in Ashland Ky right down the road.

Ever use fret and Fiddle ??? Joe is a great guy. Havent been there in a while though.

Probably the most talented guitarist in the Ashland, Huntington, and far beyond area lives in Ashland.

Josh Woods. He won the International Thumb Pickers Championship, ( Travis Picking ) on his first try at 21, and after he had only been playing that style for a year. He started out as a Shredder and can play anything Malmsteen ever put on a record.. All by ear. But he doesn't do the shredding anymore.

He opened for Thom Bresh, who is Merle Travis Son, in Columbus in 2013.

My friend Chris Kitchen taught him how to read tab and gave pointers on Travis Picking Technique about a year before Josh won the competition. Josh is self taught and mostly relys on his ear.

Heres a couple clips of Josh and Chris at the Bottom. Chris has also played with BB King, Al Di Meola to name 2.

11. flatpicker1966

flatpicker1966 Tele-Meister

Joe Dobbs is a great guy.Bought my Martin,there.Every now&then,I'll stop in for strings&pick with him.He's one of my favorite fiddle players.
    Wish I could have bought my Tele,there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.