West Virginia

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by carpenter, Nov 30, 2020.

1. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

How do you feel about John Denver?

carpenter likes this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

3. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

4. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

We have river rafting too! ;)

5. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I prefer this one to John Denver.

West Virginians are Coming Home!

carpenter likes this.
  6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

If they flattened it out it would be ten times bigger.

7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the advice, Mr. Literalist.

bigbean, maxvintage and carpenter like this.
  8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Right before covid we got involved in a local square dancing society that has been doing a fantastic job of preserving old timey music, calling, and dancing. They've received NEA funding, I believe. It's open for all ages, and all ages come out to dance. Most fun I've had in years. They obviously had to stop things for virus precautions. But they just sent out a notice of plans for future year. HOTDAM!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/cate...ton-Old-Time-Dance-and-Music-619647688385264/

Here's a great ted talk on old timey music from Edna Meisel who leads the group.

For anyone interested in history re-creation and preservation, we are fortunate to have this family close by who have turned their property into a museum and cultural center. It's on the Smithsonian Affiliate list. Another jewel that all you have to do is show up and they will put you to work in something cool.

https://heritagefarmmuseum.com/about

And just up the road from there is this fantastic group of crazy radioheads that run a great radio museum. The collection is cool enough. But they go out of their way to get folks into ham to help preserve it. Just a great bunch of people. Again, you just gotta show up there, and they take you in like family.

https://www.mrtwv.org/

I'm telling y'all, this type of opportunity for personal involvement and deep exposure in cultural preservation and activities just doesn't happen outside a state like WV. Anywhere else you either got to get in line, pay through the nose, or know someone. Here you just show up.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  9. Whatizitman

OK, TDPRI. :rolleyes:

Neither John Denver nor the other two songwriters of Take Me Home, Country Roads were from West Virginia. None of them ever lived there, either. And Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah River only touch WV in one small eastern section of the state.

Considering how dismissing and untrusting Appalachians are toward outsiders and newcomers, it's ironic to say the least that it became and official state song.

I think it's because it's easy to play. :p

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've lived a rural/small town life in three different locations in Indiana and I'll comment from my own experience. The following are generalities, but they're true and important.

Small towns stay small for various reasons and one of the big ones is that the residents don't want anything different. That includes different people. A welcoming small town is an anomaly. Many are, on the surface, but that's not the true nature of the people you will interact with.

You won't be accepted, to some degree. You will never be from there. You will be from somewhere else, and somewhere else is not to be trusted. Other is not to be trusted.

11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm pretty sure it's legal to handle venomous snakes in church services and stuff in West Virginia.

I would like to go to one of those services.
    Of course sit in back and not touch any damn snake! Maybe the strychnine haha!

12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

And then there is my situation . Born and raised in the very house that I am in right now . People from elsewhere have moved into town over the years . I welcome them , but they have no consideration for me . Part of it is laid on me because I am not a go along to get along type of person . Right is right and wrong is wrong .
    Point being that being native doesn't guarantee acceptance and being an outsider does not guarantee rejection . Know your own mind and be secure in it . Should you find a few that you can truly call friend , you will have risen far above those that have only fair weather friends . You will never really know until you plant some roots because you never really know who you may find as a friend . Risk equals rewards . There truly is something to Southern hospitality and WVa has a bit of that .
    You likely don't 100% fit in where you are or you would have no reason to go elsewhere . May you find what you are looking for . When and if you do , go there . Don't just leave where you now are because that is so negative .

carpenter and archetype like this.
  13. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

We have inlaws who bought a 35 acre with an abandoned old farmhouse near Hedgesville. He planned to rehab the farmhouse--I went out many times to help him. Cool old balloon frame structure.

It was impossible--the place was robbed at least half a dozen times, the last time they took the sheetrock off and stole all the electrical wires.

Opioid and meth addiction makes that whole area just intolerable. Seriously, do a google search--opioid and meth use are off the charts. They gave up on it and bought a place in Shepherdstown, WV, right on the potomac at the border with Maryland. Little college town.

You could not pay me to live in rural WV

carpenter and mugen74 like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As long as you love coal and rabid coal proponents, high unemployment, related drug issues etc you'll love it. Just reading a book about it actually.

mugen74 and maxvintage like this.
  15. maxvintage

Also about WV it has so much potential. We often go out to Davis and the Dolly Sods wilderness area. It's a totally unique landscape and region, kind of a climate oddity, and it's been more or less reclaimed from heavy industrial use. There are two towns, David and Thomas, both interesting in their own way. They're within four hours of DC, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Philly: eco-tourism could be huge there.

But yeah property is cheap and there's a real good reason for that.

carpenter likes this.
  16. maxvintage

Relatively little known fact: Bill Withers was from West Virginia

greenhornet and carpenter like this.
  17. Whatizitman

Hey! I get paid to live here! I moved here for work. But, yeah, I personally wouldn't live any more rural in WV than where my house is.

We have a good balance. But it took some time to seek it out and seize on it when it was both available and advantageous. For folks used to driving out to Any Suburbs, USA, and being able to find a typical 3-4 bedroom in a typical neighborhood on a typical street with the typical stores at every intersection, blah blah...., they might be a bit... disappointed. OTOH, for those who want land in the boonies for their dream spread, they've got some surprises waiting for them just down the road in the holler.

Neither of that is how my wife and I roll. We've done ok here.

maxvintage, greenhornet and carpenter like this.
  18. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have friends who retired there. They seem to like it. There's a huge drug problem there which I expect leads to a higher property crime rate.

carpenter likes this.
  19. Whatizitman

Song about East Kentucky. But it's the same. The Food Stamps are all from WV, though.

carpenter likes this.
  20. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Close to Jorma’a Fur Peace Ranch.

Obsessed and carpenter like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.