1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

West Virginia

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by carpenter, Nov 30, 2020.

1. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Lived within 70 miles of West Virginia my entire life near Blacksburg, Virginia. If you were really wanting to move to the mountaneer state I would suggest the eastern counties, Monroe county, and north. They are more farmland, and mountainous area, which have a more rural feel. I personally dont see anything wrong with the state unless you have children in the school system. It is different, and there are no real prospects of employment, the state goverment is not the best, and the population is aging so they will eventually have to increase taxation. Its a really pretty state, land there is cheap for a reason. I would avoid the Charleston, and Huntington areas, not really rural, and very poluted. Nice people, not sure I would want to take out a mortgage there.

SRHmusic and carpenter like this.
  2. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My mother grew up there and we spent a fair amount of time visiting grandparents there as a kid. Incredibly beautiful state. Would strongly recommend “trying it out” by renting for a good while before buying. Lots of wonderful folks there but sadly it’s very economically depressed and that affects many aspects of life there. Good luck!

SRHmusic and carpenter like this.
  3. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you like small town point of view and prices. You could check out Athens, Ohio very easy over the Ohio River to West (By God) VA plus it's a college town so it's not completely dead from the neck up. It's big enough to have a Walmart and a Lowes and it doesn't snow much there. I would pay attention to the elevation of your property.

I was working there for a couple weeks last year and I though it was kind of nice.

Best of luck.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  4. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I'm curious, Carpenter, as to why you've identified WVA as a place you want to move to.

Curious because awhile back there was an online "Which state suits you best?" type quiz and it identified WVA for me. I started looking into it as a retirement destination, but as I did found too many red flags. Might be a great place if you want to live a backwoods, preppers, hardcore hillbilly life, or you have a craft/profession you can do solo.

I say this with some sadness, because my mother and all her family was from West Virginia, and I have some fond, but vague memories of visiting there as a toddler. I was born there, but we moved when I was 3.

Back in the mid 1990s, my mother went back to Huntington for some sort of nursing school reunion and I remember her talking about how the place had really gone downhill.

carpenter likes this.
  5. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Yes, this. Why WV? Like I said, I live on the border. I can it across the river. Work there. Have lived there. Been all over most of it. Drugs everywhere. Poverty. No relief in sight. Everyone I know that lives there wants to leave.

carpenter likes this.
  6. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

This would be my chief concern I think. There are drugs and there is poverty everywhere, but there is a particular grim desperation about the poor, white, semi-rural, prescription opioid drugs/poverty which transcends the usual "bad part of town/criminal gangs" mentality which accompanies the usual assessment of drug-impacted areas in America.

Prescription opioid abuse in the rust belt and lower midwestern states makes the meth problem in my area (central Northern California) seem like a rare disorder. I would emphasize that the people are nice in WV - thats not the problem. The problem is that VAST numbers of these nice people are hopelessly addicted to opioids, and the desperation is beyond comprehension. A handful of large corporations created this entire problem. The victims are not to blame. I wrote about this a few months back and my posts were deleted for some reason. But I'll say it again: a few companies created this problem, and they created a monster which has hollowed out and destroyed a third of America.

Obsessed, Alcohen, Old Plank and 2 others like this.
  7. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Lived in Colorado for ten years same thing meth labs everywhere . Even lots of moble ones crashing'
    Even worse there now. Going to set my woodworking shop. Because I already have almost everything
    I need. And taxes in north east on my house are 6000. dollars a year.

8. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Grew up in Huntington. Left at 19, and haven't lived there since 1983. Visited about 7 years ago.

The common threads in the responses above are all accurate from what friends still there, tell me. All my family is gone from there, and I have no desire to go back for more than a visit. It's just not home - or what home was - anymore. OP, good luck... Go in with your eyes wide open.

carpenter likes this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve spent no time in WVa, but the “small town opioid/meth degradation” is not limited there.

We moved from Fort Worth to Durant Oklahoma from 2010-2013 (employment)...while we made some lifelong friends and go back as often as possible, it was horrific the impact those substances made on a certain parts of the population...

carpenter and Greggorios like this.
  10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I lived in Charleston WVA from 1977-1979. The girls were sweet and friendly. Some of the guys were troublemakers with a gang mentality.

A bullet was fired into a crowd on July 4, 1977 watching the fireworks. It hit my sister in the calf muscle/leg and she was hospitalized for a couple of days---that's not bologna.

[​IMG]

John Adams Junior High School:

[​IMG]

GGardner, Martian and carpenter like this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

OP mentioned getting out of the rat race as motivation to relocate to WV. I’ve lived in all kinds of rat races all over the US. WV is certainly not as crowded as other regions. But it has its own rat races, for good or bad.

Yes, opioid abuse is rampant here. Along with benzos, meth, and alcohol. Population education levels are lower on average in WV, which tends to go hand in hand with generational cycles of poverty. The land is also very rugged and remote, making development and updating infrastructure very difficult. Mining and industrial chemicals were the money makers for a long time, but have been on steady decline for decades. There is very little new industry. Politically speaking, the populace has a very long history of shooting itself in the foot, and there’s clearly no indication that will ever change. The state has suffered from brain drain for a while. Those with the education and ambition to not be stuck, but still choose to stay have to carve their own path.

I’ve been here for 10 years, but I don’t plan on being here forever. I have no family ties here, for one thing. But I also see aging and retiring here as a dead end, for a myriad of financial, health, and lifestyle reasons.

That said, I do not regret moving here. The decision was financially driven, that has since worked out in our favor in a number of ways. It would have been tougher for us has we moved to somewhere with a higher cost of living. But what has really worked for us has been to keep a mindset of taking whatever the place has to offer and using it to our benefit.

So, here’s the good. At least from my perspective, anyway. WV has tons of unique history and opportunities if you seek them out. As poverty cycles tend to coincide with lower education, the sad reality is that the general populace tends to look a gift horse in the mouth, as it were, and will all but ignore the more unique educational and cultural opportunities. That leaves it all for the rest of us with a penchant for curiosity.

Despite my kids’ schools being mediocre at best, there is also less competition for extra curricular activities, STEM involvement, and community engagement. My kids have had some seriously cool things happen to them that would never had occurred anywhere else.

There are tons of microbreweries, farm to table stuff, and cultural events unique to Appalachia. NASA is here, as is the Greenbank Telescope. All you have to do is show up at their door and they will take you in and let you play around with their tech. I have access to some [email protected]$$ trails for mountain biking, just a few miles from home, that are very rarely crowded.

For the curious and adventurous there is plenty to do here. But folks who need suburbs and/or tons of family and financial support to survive will likely be either disappointed or stuck.

12. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Watch out for Mothman. I saw a movie about him. He’s up there in West Virginia somewhere.

13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

If you are near Weston , you may want to check out the Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum for some offbeat fun .

14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

My sister lives in WV. She says there's a ton of money to be made in the fracking industry there, but most of it is paid to out-of-state workers because too few working-age WV natives can pass a drug test.

That makes me both angry and sad, because the state is so beautiful and has such a rich history. I wish I could grab the entire population in one hand and slap some sense into it with the other.

15. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Yep. Fracking is making someone a lot of money on both sides of the river, someone from out of town. The only locals that made any money were the old farmers with hundreds of acres. Some sold it all and left, but there are so many out of state trucks from all over here now because like you say, no one local can pass a drug test and do the work. That and they are used to living off welfare so why get your crap together and go make money?

carpenter likes this.
  16. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Two things:
    • Your hands aren't big enough
    • Expect to get slapped back harder
    Best advice for getting physical with somebody in WV, better hit them hard enough to knock them down and keep them down for a while.
    Just sayin'

I do understand what you mean though.

17. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Just Air B&B'd a 200 year old farm house just outside of Harpers Ferry with my family of 12. One of the most scenic places I've been. 1/2 mile from the Appalachian Trail and plenty of breweries and wineries to keep us busy.

18. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Galax is home to the oldest Fiddler convention in the United States...a seriously historical spot for a musician interested in mountain music. It's also home for Dori Freeman, the best female singer you've never heard.

19. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

I'd live down in WV just for the square dancing...promenading is a way of life!;)

carpenter, drlucky and allcasters like this.
  20. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Galax is closer to North Carolina then West Virginia. However if the OP wanted to move to a nice rural area the mountains around Galax in Grayson County, Virginia are nice. You can get to Boone, and Winston Salem fairly quickly as well.

carpenter and fjblair like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.