Were you a TDK, Memorex, or Maxell guy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by E5RSY, Jan 29, 2016.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

You guys with your TDK preferences surprise me, to me that was generally a less desirable brand, Maxell was always what you'd try to have, and I recall there was some kind of "chrome" version of it which was the best , and of course more expensive.

And yeah, Dolby NR sucked

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Yes.

3. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Mostly Maxell, with some TDK thrown in. Wow, this thread brings back a lot of memories.

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

All of the above.

5. barker

barker Tele-Meister

Thanks for this post, it brought back lots of good high school memories of making tapes. I had a Kenwood hifi with a very cool programmable and triggering system that made it easy to make mix tapes from CD's.

I always used high bias tapes for more treble and range but can't remember for the life of me WHAT brand I used! I'm pretty sure they were Maxell 60 minute tapes though.

An old friend hit me up on Facebook years ago and told me he still spun the tapes I made for him. Good times. ☺️

6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Maxell was my go-to, but I used all of them at one time or another. I still have every tape that I ever recorded, except for the ones that were lost or defective. They are in a box in a closet. I'm not sure why I have hung on to them all these years.

I was able to transfer all my homemade originals that I wrote and recorded onto CD.

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Maxell and TDK with metal/chrome. Had a Fostex x15 4 track that used cassette that got huge use when I was younger.

I got the impression the dynamic range was better on metal tapes but I remember them having more hiss.

Yes, history indeed. Great memories.

8. chilldude

chilldude Tele-Meister

TDK SA-90 and Maxell XL II.
    They each had a bit of their own way of coloring the sound in subtle ways.
    As I recall, I preferred the Maxell.
    I recently cleaned and fired up my old Teac 2340, dug up some old multitrack masters from the mid to late '70's.
    Remarkably, the old tapes sounded pretty good. I couldn't detect any deterioration. Or maybe I should say- they sounded the way I remember them.

So the quest becomes, weed through, digitize, and tweak, master, etc.
    Ah, the memories!

9. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

I know that I have three unused Maxell gold 90 min cassettes here somewhere. I'll be damned if I can find them. I can't believe I would have thrown them away sometime in the last twenty five years.

Ever since I threw away (recycled, don't get breathless on me) my office TV and replaced it with one of my Technics SL-1200MK2s I've been finding all kinds of good stuff.

I wonder where the hell those blank cassettes are...

10. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

TDK SA-90, Fuji, and occasionally Maxell Gold. Never much cared for Memorex; I though the Memorex and even the Maxell cassettes sounded a bit muffled / muddy / dark on my equipment. Sure, that could have been observational bias, but that is what I remember.

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maxell...at least with maple fretboard guitars. TDK captures the woodier tone of the rosewood fretboard so much better, unless of course it's an alder body...so everybody knows Fuji is the only tape for that one.

12. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ampex 456, mostly
    cassettes memorex

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Cassette tapes were my storage medium for my first computer. Minutes just to load a few K of code.

15. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I still have a few of the last cassettes I used in my 4 track tape deck for live recordings...
    TDK SA90 and TDK MA90 'metal position' !
    I used to research all the latest ones in an effort to maximise my final transfers - the very last ones were an obscure brand called 'That's' - VX90 chrome and Metal-XR...

16. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Whatever 3-pack was on sale.

17. jefsut

jefsut Tele-Meister

Brings back memories of cracking open a shiny new 6- or 10-pack of whatever brand of tape ... all that virgin promise of a blank tape. One of life's small pleasures. I still have hours of recordings of late-night jazz shows that I'll never listen to again.

18. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Maxell, followed by TDK. I remember reading at the time that cassettes would have about a 10 year lifespan. I thought: "Wow, 10 years, what a long time !" Interestingly, I still have all my old cassettes and a good Nakamichi tapedeck that I bought back in the day. Some of those tapes are pushing 40 years old and they still sound the same as the day I made them. Now that would have been a good commercial for Maxell !

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  19. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

This picture sold a billion cassettes. I was a Deadhead of sorts, so I still have about half a cubic yard of cassettes in boxes. Maxell first choice, TDK second, everything else was third.

I picked up a TEAC AD-800 deck, which converts cassettes to digital files, but I find the file management system clunky and frustrating so I haven't gotten far with transferring.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  20. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

I used whichever of the main three in this. Or my tape deck. I think I'm down to two cassettes now mix downs of stuff done on the machine above.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.