Were the good old days really all that good?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 8trackmind, Jun 30, 2019.

1. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Back in the 60's there used to be newspaper headlines when the temperature hit 60F (the sizzling sixties) in august - end of June it was nearly 90F in London

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We are moving out of an ice age ;)

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Same as it ever was...

Modman68 likes this.
  4. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I managed a music store 78-79. Fender QC was all over the place- the same guitars command a premium price today as they’re “vintage.”

The only consistent guitars I remember from back then were the early Ibanez solid bodies, which were Alembic-inspired steampunky things with brass everywhere and way too many switches ;-)

We’re in an absolute golden age of guitars. There are more companies competing with each other, and quality at every price level is far better than it’s ever been.

8trackmind likes this.
  5. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Whenever people say they like to live in some other historical period, I always ask if they know what dental care was like then.

6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I can watch TV shows any time I want, without commercials. How is this not the greatest time in human existence?

telestratosonic and bumnote like this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

It depended on your social station and certain factors beyond your control.

I would have had it easier.
    My wife would have had some problems.
    My niece would not have had a good time back in the “good ol’ days.”

You can read between the lines on that...

telestratosonic likes this.
  8. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

What i need is all the choices in gear, the available help in learning to or improving your playing and everything else now at our fingertips....and be 16 years old. :(

9. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

I think the good old days arent really gone until you get the signal..I think this would be my personal sign that I was done and the good old days were gone
    [​IMG]

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

How is that not a sign of the coming Apocalypse?

11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

just yanked em out

average life expectancy in the UK was around 40 until the mid to late 19th century

(note this includes infant mortality, death after childbirth, etc)

if you had problems, you didn't have to wait very long

death was everywhere, with the usual pros and cons

telestratosonic likes this.
  12. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

When I started out we didn't have those fancy "effects pedals"... we punched a hole in our speaker and we LIKED it! :mad::p

We walked five miles in the snow to Sears—uphill both ways!!:mad:—to fondle and buy cheese-slicer guitars... and we LIKED it!

We didn't have fancy "Internets"... we had had Guitar Player magazine to tell us what to think and we LIKED it! If you had any questions, your friend's big brother would know the answer, or the guy at the music store. :rolleyes::confused:

I liked it then, and I like it now! :)

13. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I''m a geezer and can compare decades from the 50s to today.
    The Best? I can only say for me and my individual situation. I grew up in a middle class household and never wanted for anything.
    I guess my favorite era was late 60s to late 70s.
    I had no bad times to speak of until the last few years. My wealth of illnesses is starting to be a problem as I grow more geezerly. I dread seeing my pack of doctors. (Not all at once. Separately.) It seems like I am diagnosed with something new every visit. I've had it happen enough times to make it a 'sort of' realistic fear.
    Still, things aren't so bad. I can't get around as well as I used to (gout) and I don't have much income to do things I would like to do. I guess I can count my blessings and hope for a mess of new medical miracles/cures.

Mark

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

In 1987, the guy at the music store told me that Fender was having quality issues, and that I should buy a Yamaha SSH superstrat instead. He was right. The Yamaha's quality is excellent, and it has been a great guitar. I still have that guitar because I can't bring myself to sell it for $100, which is all I seem to be able to get for it. Meanwhile, so-called poor-quality late '80s Strats are selling for high prices because people on the internet tell us that they are collectors items.

SecretSquirrel and 8trackmind like this.
  15. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I had a Ford Prefect E93A back in the 60s. At the time, being a teenager, I thought it was a great car, even with the traverse semi eliptical spring on the front end, always looks back to it with nostalgic longing. Had a chance to drive one a few years ago, it was rubbish, cramped inside; underpowered; acceleration measured in hours not seconds; dodgy brakes; heavy steering and lousy road holding. The tendency for it to fall over when cornering was a definite nostalgia killer. Good old days - not as far as cars are concerned.

16. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Affordable guitars and amps are so much better today than when I started in 1986.

I do kinda miss the innocence of the pre-internet days. You hoped each month the next month's Guitar mag would have a cover or at least an interview with one of your heroes. Now with all the social information available today you realize how unheroic your heroes really are.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.