1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Were the good old days really all that good?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 8trackmind, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

The good old days weren’t always good,
    And tomorrow ain’t as bad as it seems.......

2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would say that the good ole days weren't really all that good, but rather we simply cared less in our youth.

3. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I miss clean air, clean water, home made food, a day that was as long as a month. Advertisments weren't everywhere, no lcd signs along highways. no email. the phone was a box on the wall and when I left the house, I was on my own..

nobody tracked me, survieled me, tried to sell me something or steal every moment of my attention.

people were civil for the most part, and folks were genuine and proud of it.

there was only 3 kinds of guitars, Fender,Gibson and others.
    2 kinds of amp, Fender and others.

Saturdays was guitar lessons at the local music store. Then looking for girls at the saturday night dance and checkin out the local bands.

it was not painful...

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  4. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I've got two healthy little kids, a wife who loves me, a mortgage I can afford, and a guitar.

I'm 100% sure I'm living through the good old days right now.

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

we're all 25 inside, after we turn 30

modavis99 and GuitarKid like this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Who is the guy who says the real test for an age is if you were randomly born into it -- you could be born into a rich family, or the poorest family. When would you want to be born? Right now!

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

1832 in England

GuitarKid likes this.
  8. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Were the good old days really all that good?

Sure looks that way.

9. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Every political platform in history:
    "In these troubled times...."

bgmacaw, hudpucker and GuitarKid like this.
  10. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

19 forever

11. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I still use a pitch pipe. Not to tune, mind you. I use it when replacing strings to get each sting "in the ballpark". Stretch, then tune with a tuner. It works for me.

But yeah, the lack of info before the internet was; hmmm, it may have been better...

GuitarKid likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

Woops, wrong thread.

13. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

I got really upset when I discovered the house wi-fi reached the workshop and there was cell coverage - no escape from modern life at the workbench

telemnemonics and P Thought like this.
  14. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

We don't have AC and still hang the laundry out but the rotary phone is in the loft (and I run a tech company)

15. BigDaddyLH

How necessary A/C is depends on the climate of where you live.

We hang the laundry out on sunny summer days. Not so much during snow storms.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Just sounded honest to me, reality is often filled with hardships.
    I didn't grow up in Lowell, born in Philly but moved to Maine at three with single Mother.
    "Times" were not hard but a single Mother with a little kid made for hard times here when women had fewer jobs opportunities.
    Winter boots came from thrift shops in Spring and were often too small by winter.
    Food was scarce, heat was hard to pay for, and if the car needed fixing my Mother was in tears.
    A few local friends would help out, and there was one that gave my Mother money every week, but I only learned this after she had passed and I found a letter saying this person could no longer send money.
    Father was a lost drunk a couple of states away, and the court admonished my Mother for writing to ask for child support.

Some of this is funny, like we had chickens and I built chicken pens/ coops with scraps of wood, pulling rusty nails and straightening them to use again. Soup cans for car exhaust repair, shopping at the dump more than at stores etc.
    Survival was just normal and it took years to think in terms of buying something special like an avocado more than once a week.

A good side is that we lived by a beautiful beach and by the age of 6 I could be off on my own all day in summer for 8- 12 hours with little or no real danger.
    Maybe I was lucky too though, there were active dangers, but they were largely unreported.

Yeah Lowell has some cool history, also including Edgar Allen Poe who was one of my childhood heroes.
    That alone is pretty odd, little kid in love with the macabre depressed writing of a madman.

My wife's family has dual citizenship and lives most of the year in County Clare, but is in Dublin at times, usually to the airport.
    They are poets and run poetry retreats in Ireland, and are deep into the story telling and local traditional music pub scene there.
    Originally from the US, they feel more comfortable in Ireland, because of the support and love for the old storytelling and poetry.
    They may be losing their little rental cottage and want to buy it, but cannot pass it on to their kids who did not get the dual citizenship because they applied too late.

Sean Mac likes this.
  17. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The mid- to late '70s are my personal good-old-days, but not everything about them was good. Summer evenings then you could look down Colton Avenue directly into the setting sun without going blind; it looked like a big orange disc. And most days you couldn't see the San Bernardino Mountains behind the the C-141s on the glide path to Norton AFB (likely in from Vietnam) even though they were close enough to fill the dormitory window when the wind blew the smog out.

The air in the LA Basin is much clearer today than it was then.

18. hudpucker

hudpucker Tele-Meister

Let us pine for a halcyon past that never really was...

19. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister

It sounds like you had a much more difficult time than I did.

I spent a half an hour today sitting with my folks in their garden enjoying the beautiful weather.

They are well into their seventies now and still active and mostly healthy.

Their generation were the first to enjoy rock and roll so Elvis and the Beatles is the music I grew up with.

As a child it seemed that half of the people in the phone book were related to me.

South County Dublin has long been a well off part of Ireland, even for the working class.

My Dad has said "I'm working class, and your mother is working class, but I don't know about any of ye."

Sailors, carpenters, plumbers and printers as far back as the records go.

My Grandfather was a constant and incredibly patient presence until I was 26.

Looking back, he was obviously training me with an eye to the future, but it was always fun.

Through him I have carpentry tools that go back four and five generations in our family.

My Dad, Grandfather and uncles were all printers, so books were taken very seriously.

A story of good fortune and privilege when I read yours.

Clare is a place I have been to many times since I was a kid.

Saw Rory Gallagher and Van Morrison at the last Lisdoonvarna festival in '83. :)

Spent the week after hiking back to Ennis in glorious weather with lots of creamy pints on the way.

One of the best traditional fiddle players I know is from Boston :)

Best wishes...

P Thought and telemnemonics like this.
  20. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

There's always good and bad. Believe it or not, the world is actually less violent overall now than most any time in history. Lots of studies on this.

I do often yearn for an idyllic, Mayberry-like world, but that's gone (inasmuch as it ever existed in reality.)

The "good old days" weren't good for everyone...there is still a lot of inequality for minorities and women, but it is better than it used to be.

There is a greater acceptance of our LGBTQ brothers and sisters, and that is a good thing.

The levels of bureaucracy we have to wade through now is a pain in the rear.

Also not a big fan of the way the richest people and corporations in history are concentrating wealth, property and power. Seems like pretty soon (if not already) about 250 people are going to own everything and in one way or another, the rest of us will be toiling away (often in debt) in order to further enrich them.

The Digital Age has been a double-edged sword for sure.

I'm 50. Maybe not too old to pine for the good old days but young enough still to fight for what is right, and change that needs to happen.

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.