Were The Doors The Most Perfect Band?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by taxer, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Well put, Sir H.

2. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

I thought this thread was about James Jamerson?

3. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's why, four decades after the band called it quits, we're having a a discussion about the band that's already run 30 pages. :rolleyes:

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

There is nothing as painful as having people slag your mancrush!

5. markbastable

markbastable Tele-Meister

If I can get a fifteen-page thread going about The Archies, can we agree they're at least half as important and talented as The Doors?

6. Skully

No. But, of course, there's so much evidence showing that they're anything but "a bit of a footnote" that the statement is patently absurd, don't you agree? I think the passionate negativity displayed is, ironically, a demonstration of how significant the band remains.

7. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Who rides the wrecking ball in to our rock guitars?

To quote Bernie Taupin, Martin Page, Dennis Lambert, and Peter Wolf.
    Really? Four people to write that? Looks like a movie script.

8. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Skully, I thought you were the reason this thread was still going?

9. Skully

I think it's just "Who rides the wrecking ball in to our guitars?" I won't defend the rest of the lyrics, but that's not a bad line at all.

I wonder if Grace added that, because she had an album and a song called "Welcome to the Wrecking Ball."

For the cover shoot, she dressed up like Pat Benatar and rode the wrecking ball that was set up to knock down Winterland.

Sample lyric: "Main man of the party 'cause he don't get arty with the music." Funny how she managed to get two rhymes for Marty into one line.

I was at what turned out to be Paul Kantner's last concert with Jefferson Starship (prior to the band's revival in the '90s). It was at the Great America amusement park in Santa Clara, CA. in the summer of '84. His performance was particularly passionate that night. In retrospect, I understand why.

I was not happy to see Jefferson Starship morph into Starship, but "We Built That City" is a unique, highly catchy tune with a unique, if at times cringe-inducing, lyric. I enjoy it for what it is.

10. markbastable

markbastable Tele-Meister

No, they've been too influential to be a footnote, I agree. And they're lauded by many people whose opinion I usually respect, which perplexes me - though the same can be said of The Smiths*, The Eagles**, The Velvet Underground*** and Van Halen****.

And it's not that I dislike The Doors for no considered reason - as I tried to explain here...

*Though I really like Johnny Marr, outside The Smiths

** Though I really like Joe Walsh, outside The Eagles.

***Though I really like John Cale, outside The Velvets

****Nah - I got nuthin' on this one.

11. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

If only...I think JJ was named in the hope he'd rise from the dead and give the OP the "Hook".

Love JJ...

12. Skully

Great bass player. But just a bass player.

13. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

We're having a discussion on a guitar forum - it's a self-selecting audience of musos. I doubt the bars of my hometown are buzzing with talk of The Doors right now.

Maybe a footnote is too harsh - a very short passage in chapter 24 (Some Other Bands of the Time) might be a better analogy.

How influential we're they really? Morrison's style and rock demeanour was very influential. Not so much the music.

Doors were style over substance - lyrics that fall apart at the slightest examination, horribly dated, and pretentious.

Keyboards were nice though, if you like that kind of thing.

14. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

And I don't think the number of pages on a TDPRI thread is a reflection of a topic's cultural worth - otherwise Cargo Pants would be the most significant invention of the 20th century.

15. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Meh, cargo pants are OK, but cargo shorts are the schiznit!

I recently saw a guy wearing a cargo kilt. Seriously, I couldn't make that up. :eek:

I must admit that I occasionally drive past the local seminary school with the windows down and the system up blasting the Soft Parade. :D

16. Skully

That's probably more a comment on your hometown. The Doors weren't huge in England, unlike, say... ABBA.

Hold on -- you're describing David Bowie. And I like Bowie.

17. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

At least ABBA (Benny & Bjorn that is) wrote a bunch of GREAT pop songs ...

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Abba gets a lot of flak, but, those people were really very, very good at what they did.

Album sales somewhere between 300 and 400 million... records kept in many areas are suspect at best, so no one really knows how much they sold.

Yes, sales are usually not a good barometer of quality or talent or integrity or anything like that... but when you're selling that many friggin albums... something you are doing, is reaching people on many levels.

My opinion, Abba are the champs of the pop world, only the Beatles are "better".

And I dont really like girl singers. Go figure.

19. Skully

Eee-ah... Great pop songs? They made a lot of really catchy pop songs. Lyrically, they were at best, unexceptional; at worst, dross. And the song ideas themselves aren't particularly interesting or clever, and that's something a song needs to qualify as "perfect pop."

Did they ever do anything as brilliant as say, "Pop Muzik"?

"The Winner Takes It All" scores with emotion and melody, but the lyrics are awkward, as is the heavily accented vocal. "Take a Chance on Me" is fun pop that doesn't embarrass itself, unlike, say, "Dancing Queen." My favorite ABBA track is "Knowing Me, Knowing You."

It's better without the video. :lol: I mean, for the integrity of the song, not masculine jollies. It's also best to pretend that the vocals on the verses are just making sounds, not forming words.

I also really like Frida's solo hit "I Know There's Something Going On," written by Russ Ballard and produced (and drummed!) by Phil Collins.

Benny & Bjorn fared better when they teamed with English-as-a-first-language lyricist Tim Rice on the musical "Chess," which spawned the pop hit "One Night in Bangkok."

The gulf between ABBA and The Beatles in terms of quality, creativity and imagination is so large... it's like comparing a grain of sand to the sun.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I think you should get a tshirt printed with that and wear it at gigs!
    I'm guessing the hipsters would dig your irony and the other guys would shrug and say "I knew it"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.