Were The Beatles so great as players? Yes, I think they were.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Marcelo R, Dec 22, 2015.

1. timmer

timmer Tele-Afflicted

Great thread!

I thought I'd learn a bunch of their songs, and I have, but not having a 2nd guitar really sucks, unless you're playing finger-style. Lawrence Juber comes to mind.

If you've do have not these, Rob Taylor's videos do a great job of breaking the songs down, Beatle to a Tee.

The deconstruction videos are the best!

Individually, the playing sounds sloppy but when mixed it sounds great.

Here is Clapton doing While my Guitar Gently Weeps with his guitar isolated for the most part.

Here's McCartney on the bass.

Here's both.

2. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

I've never heard anyone call the Beatles inferior instrumentalists, other than Ringo, and that's usually in a discussion about how Ringo is underrated. :confused:

3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

yup, great OP and thread :cool:

There's an old saying "Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come". That was the Beatles - the right people with the right product at the right time. I don't think the world will see anything like it again. It's hard to explain to people born after that time what is was like. If in 1964 aliens landed a spaceship in the middle central park, it wouldn't have been bigger or more shocking to the culture than the Beatles.

And yes, I think they were all great musicians.

4. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

As great as the Beatles are (my favorite band of all-time), they are still woefully under-rated as instrumentalists.

5. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

I try to get young people (less than 30) to understand how huge some things used to be, and it's hard to explain. Elvis, the Beatles, Star Wars, Michael Jackson--some things were just bigger than big. There hasn't been much in the social media era that's come close, because we're so fragmented and opinionated and diverse these days. Harry Potter, maybe. I'm talking about a cultural phenomena that's unlike anything else before it, that a large percentage of Americans are really into (maybe 3 or 4 out of 10).

6. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Give this fellow a listen if you'd like to be reminded of all the immediately recognizable drum fills and variety of styles that Ringo contributed (he's a bit more of a basher than Ringo ever was, though -- Ringo swings)

https://www.facebook.com/DanielGlassDrums/videos/10153755629942437/

It's a publicly shared Facebook page -- not available on YouTube, but worth checking out.

7. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

8. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

It is their songs that they will be remember for. I thought and still think that they were excellent musicians supporting the songs. They became so popular and influential that they changed everything. As far as evaluating something like musicianship is difficult. To really judge they would all have to play the same piece of music.

9. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

Thanks Rasmuth, that was really enjoyable. Great band, players, singers and songwriters. I'm especially impressed with Ringo's creative and flawless drumming.

10. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I love those isolation track videos! Especially hearing all the fret noise and little chinka chinkas. Nowadays, most producers, even for really small bands and studios, will have players punch in all all over the place to take away every little bit of extraneous noise, every little fret slide. Its so boring! Another one of those practices that has developed that promotes sterility and takes away a lot of what makes rock n roll exciting.

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

12 Drummers Drumming

Attached Files:

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

Apparently you've never worked at Guitar Center! :lol:

13. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

BTW, there were two Beatles. The Beatles before Revolver/Rubber Soul... and the Beatles after those albums.

They turned from a Rock N Roll/Pop band into a highly creative ensemble that changed the course of modern music.

Their playing aside, their writing, and the arranging of their instrumental parts and vocal harmonies, took them to a much higher level. (McCartney and Harrison attribute some of this to their exposure to Marijuana and a to a lesser degree, LSD)

This is why we remember/honor them the way we do, and why they were THE BEATLES.

Not so much for their technique or their abilities playing their given instruments.

IMO, these were two separate things.

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They were a bunch of bada$$es!

15. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I was in a Beatles cover band for years, so I can definitely agree with the "harder than it sounds" aspect of their tunes. One thing I found out is that it makes a big difference if you use the very clever chord voicings they used. They would often play chords with simple names in very interesting ways - not always 1st position the way I originally learned them in the song books. We used the Complete Scores book. (the white one) That one is great because it has all the parts written out, even the drums and vocals. Expensive but worth it if you're going for authenticity.

16. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

It doesn't take much to play guitar well. Just practice and some intelligence to understand the instrument. But, it's takes an artful approach to create music, something that cannot be empirically learned. The Beatles were not virtuosos, they were artists. A good song will always outlast a flashy solo. They were group that were fantastic musicians and even better songwriters.

17. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

also i really like the tones in Rasmuth clip.

especially the guitar tones, very cool and great sounding.

the intro to money, just growling ey!

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Their level of musicianship was off the charts.

Their level of instrumental prowess was average if you count bass/guitar/drums/vocals as their instruments.

I think their "instrument" was a piece of paper and a pen and their song creation was them expressing their musicianship.

At that they were almost unparalleled.

Chops ? Technically virtuosity ? Who cares ?

Almost all rock/pop musicians sound like a monkeys flailing around in a barrel compared to just the average lower-level jazz and classical musician.

But none of those instrumental aces ever wrote Strawberry Fields.

Do you get it ?

I know Beatle fanaticism is such that they have to be the undisputed masters of the universe at everything w/ no contrary opinions but - it just ain't so.

And - I bet if all you MopTop worshippers took a break from listening to them for a couple years you'd come back to their material w/ fresher more objective ears. Just a thought...

19. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah! That's where guitar style comes in. The Stones stuff recorded in open chords does not sound the same played in standard tuning, even if all the notes are musically correct. Lots of bands that cover soul music get it all wrong, because they don't get the nuances of the original players. Sure, the crowd hardly cares, but really getting into the style of players,the nitty gritty, that's how you learn beyond the everyday noise. Somebody on youtube said, "If you get bored playing Jimmy Reed's stuff, you ain't playing it right."
    :D
    I do not like the Beatles vocals, but a lot of that music has some fantastic style.

20. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

All ye need is luv . . .

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.