We're saving for a house, but... (Charvel So-Sal Style 2)

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by runstendt, May 8, 2021.

1. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

We're currently saving for a house, but I just came across this, and man it looks tempting. Does anybody have any experience with this model or Charvel in general?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...le-2-24-ht-hh-electric-guitar-robins-egg-blue

The color is one of my wife's favorites, so I figured that could offset some of the "you bought another WHAT?" response I would be bound to get. One the other hand, I'm always jonesing for a new piece of gear, so we'll see what I want next week.

2. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Do you have enough guitars to get by?

If so, I'd advise that you save the money. The alternative leads to anger, pain, fear, the Dark Side, etc :D

3. dragonfire709

dragonfire709 TDPRI Member

I was just watching a review of this model on you tube (Darrell Brauns channel). I think if you watch that your mind will be made up for you!

Cheers

Roy

skradlee likes this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Ooh, that’s cool looking, I wasn’t aware of that model.

My advice is this: Give yourself a bit of a “fun budget.”

Buying a house, paying down debt, saving for retirement, having an emergency fund...all that grown up stuff is really important to do. But you need to live your life at the same time.

Set aside an amount of money for yourself each month, preferably on the smaller side, to spend on stuff YOU want. I know some people poo poo financing, and I admit it’s not great to get carried away with, but it can be a way to get into a guitar and have it not be a big chunk of your budget.

That said: Also keep in mind your credit score. The mortgage lender is going to watch it like a hawk and make a big deal out of it. So again, don’t get carried away if the goal is the house. Pro tip if you do go the financing route: Reverb Affirm doesn’t ding your credit score, but a Sweetwater card will.

There’s my nice long answer to a simple question.

Steve Holt likes this.
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Charvel have always been top quality instruments. I’ve been a Charvel fan and player since the 80’s. These newer ones they’re making now are really nice quality at a very reasonable price point. They’re made in Fender’s Mexico facilities. Why Fender can’t make a Fender branded product that even gets in the ballpark of these I can’t guess. But I’d buy one of these in a heartbeat. MIM Fender, not so much.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Greggorios and Commodore 64 like this.
  6. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko TDPRI Member

Unless you are currently homeless you should order that guitar.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like a nice rig. Why more guitar makers don't use the spoke-wheel truss rod adjustment is puzzling to me. Yeah, tradition, blah blah. But it's the best system for even inexperienced players to tweak the rod.

"We're saving for a house."

Well then save your money. Priorities, brother. Buying another guitar is not "saving your money."

Once you buy the house, these guitars will be available as resales and you'll find one in great shape for less $$$. You currently have at least one guitar to play to prevent getting rusty.

MilwMark likes this.
  8. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

House. Pshht. Interest rates are low. Use the money you would have spent on a higher interest rate to preemptively buy that. I love it.

9. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

I love the responses, supporting both sides of whether to buy the guitar or not. I do have a "toy fund" that I maintain by selling what I'm not using or lost interest in, but I've been putting that towards the house too, so I'll probably have to hold off on the guitar for now. However, I appreciate the suggestions and advice, especially the tip about Reverb Affirm. My bigger question is, has anybody played one of these yet?

10. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

If you are out of debt and have an emergency fund, make a monthly budget which allows you to save for your house and set aside cash for the things you love to do in life. Set aside $100/month and in 9 months you get your guitar. By then you might get a minty used one for $700. By then you might not even want it anymore. Making good financial decisions doesn’t mean denying yourself everything in life, it means you make a good plan (with your partner if there is one) and then see it through.

runstendt likes this.
  11. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I am a Realtor. People understand finance, they just don't grasp it. Unless it is part of your business, I wouldn't even consider the guitar. Eventually, the way our society is going, only the top 10% of our population will be able to purchase a home. Or get ahead. Of Anything.

Signed,

Debbie Downer

MilwMark and runstendt like this.
  12. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

I agree with the need to follow a budget, and we're trying too. Also, sadly, I agree with the housing market being insane right now. Places have been selling for ten's of thousands of dollars above the asking price with no inspections or other contingencies. We are not exactly looking in a growing, high-population density area, there's just a lack of properties for sale and a glut of buyers. Still, it's nice to have something to thinking about besides another house that we were outbid on, even if I don't get it.

VonBonfire likes this.
  13. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

Save the money. I’ve never slept better than after we bought our house. Used to stay awake all night. Now I fall asleep on the sofa.

I love my rosewood neck telecaster but it’s never given me that level of subliminal satisfaction.

VonBonfire and teleman1 like this.
  14. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Save the money. I’ve never slept better than after we bought our house. Used to stay awake all night. Now I fall asleep on the sofa.. <Priceless

15. Rosewoodtele

Rosewoodtele TDPRI Member

Looks cool! I prefer the black. The specs look really cool. I’m a fan of some modern improvements like roasted maple, compound radius, etc.

16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, go for the guitar, but remember there are certain types of death that can be excruciatingly painful. ;)

runstendt likes this.
  17. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I ordered one in robins egg blue

18. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Just got it. Pretty nice hot rod tele.

19. skradlee

skradlee Tele-Meister

I thought that was the same model. The split coil sounds actually sound pretty decent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.