1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Were Orange Drops ever OEM on early 70's HB Tele's?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by pcasarona, Jan 14, 2020.

1. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Hi guys,

Still trying to find answers to my post on '72 Thinline electronics:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/72-thinline-electronics.995518/#post-9527594

So far, I've determined that the cap in the OP is an original cap used in the early 70's musical equipment (whah's and P bases) and that it is the correct value, but I have also read in Duchossoir's book that the switch to .022uf cap's on early humbucker tele's were initially dark blue ITW's. I have also determined that a large majority of pre-74 thinlines for sale right now are sporting orange drops. Were the orange drops ever original equipment or is that just a really common "up-grade"? Anyone have or know where I can find an original ITW Blue poly .002uf 200V cap or were they all thrown out when the orange drops went in?

Thanks again,

Cas

2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

This kind of thing?

Sadly I only have 0.047 and 0.033

I have used them in guitars before, I think I got them off ebay about 15 years ago.

IMG_20200114_183901.jpg

3. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I had a 1966 Tele. It had oil and paper capacitor from the factory.

4. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Yep, those are them. Just have to find a .022uf 200V version. Thanks for posting.

Si G X likes this.
  5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

If I see any this side of the pond I'll let you know.

6. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Thanks much!

Si G X likes this.
  7. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

8. DrBoBo

DrBoBo TDPRI Member

I puchased new and have owned a 72 Telecaster Thinline since December of 1972. The cap in mine (original) is an orange drop .022uF @ 600V. Mine also has a nylon shaft tone control.

DrBoBo

Hiker likes this.
  9. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Thank you Dr. BoBo,

I was hoping to hear from someone who had access to an original spec. guitar from 72. I found so many '72 Thinlines with orange drops in them that I was starting to believe that they must have been fitted originally or a very very popular period upgrade. It was a little confusing to read in Duchossoir's book about the early guitars having Blue Drops. All the '72-'73 Thinlines for sale right now, or at least the 6 or so that included photos of electronics have orange drops in them. I've seen the blue drops used, and in fact have them in some of my 70's guitars as late as 1978, but only in '74's and later. I am now wondering if the Duchossoir book might have it slightly wrong, and that the orange drops were used in the first couple of years, and then beginning in '74 they went to the blue drops. Which certainly seems to fit what I'm seeing out there and in my own original guitars.

Thanks again,

Cas

Ps. Here are photos of several '72 and one '73 Thinlines, all with orange drops, for sale right now:

'72 Electronics.jpg
    '72b Electronics.JPG

'72c Electronics.JPG
    '72d Electronics.JPG
    '72e Electronics.jpg
    '73 Electronics 2.jpg

10. DrBoBo

DrBoBo TDPRI Member

Cas,

72 was an interesting year for the Thinline. There were at least two "engineering" changes introduced during that run that I know of. Some of the 72's have two string trees (later) and some of the earlier ones have one, like mine. Maybe there was a change when they added the second string tree. It would be interesting to see if the Thinlines with orange drops have one string tree or two, although I suspect Fender bought them in quantity and used them 'til they were gone.

I also discovered two different wiring diagrams for the controls, but they have the same effect. If I can find it I'll post it or message it. The wiring diagrams on Fender's site only have the 'current' models.

DrBoBo

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

The caps in my '66 Tele are ceramic.

landofahhs likes this.
  12. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

In all honesty, I'd be surprised if they didn't just use whatever they could get. Maybe someone said "I can do you better deal on these blue dipped ones" and they used those for a while and went back to orange. ... Run out of orange drops, no worries we'll use these ceramic ones until the stock comes in.

I mean that's what most people would do these days, so I can only imagine it was the same back then.

Straydogger and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  13. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Dr. Bobo,
    I could go back and look at the ads for all of the '72's I attached photos of and see if they are single string trees or two, but I also believe that it was not uncommon for 2nd trees to be added to earlier guitars after two tree's became the standard. My guitar has been dated (neck, pots, etc.) as an early (Jan-Feb) '72 and has a single tree. Thanks for the information.

Cas

14. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Almost all the standard teles that I've seen from the mid-late 60's into early 70's had the ceramic disc caps in them, but the humbucker guitars (Customs, Thinlines, Deluxes) never did as far as I know. I've only ever seen the blue ('74 and later) and orange drops ('72 and '73) in those HB guitars. Of course mine has something else, but I'm pretty sure that it was a period change as I've seen my cap in period whah's, amps, and some Fender basses, but never in a Thinline. I'd like to put the correct cap back in to keep the guitar as close to original as possible, and also because I'm just not diggin' the tone out of this one. Only question is do I go with the Blue or Orange?

15. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Yep, appears that the 2 string tree change was sometime in '72. Found 4 early '72's (latest was March) that all had a single tree and several later '72's that had two. Somewhat anecdotal with those numbers, but still points toward a production change sometime in mid '72.

16. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Also found a very early '72 like mine for sale. The ad mentioned a noticeably chunkier neck like mine has. Haven't seen any formal mention of this change in an book or other source, but I can tell you that my early '72 thinline has a noticeably thicker neck than my '74 thinline.

17. Dynaman

Dynaman TDPRI Member

Can anyone explain if it matters using 200 volt versus 600 volt caps? Is there a difference?

18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Not really. In theory there is, but given 200v is way overspec anyway?

New Orange Drops aren't made the same way as the old. Vishay bought Sprague decades ago, it's likely - like zoso and bumblebee caps - you're paying for the name. Underneath they're just poly caps.

bender66 likes this.
  19. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a '72 harness at home. From memory it has those blue ITW caps. I'll edit post later when I get home.

I've posted an image in another thread but I dont remember which.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.