We're all wasting our time

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Sep 10, 2020.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@burntfrijoles , this nugget of wisdom may be the end-all of this discussion. ;)

hemingway likes this.
  2. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

Man! Like you guys are getting all existential and stuff :confused:

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Hemingway, it occurs to me that your example there is the equivalent of showing two of your wonderful paintings to a friend who is color blind and he says he likes the painting that has a dog in it more than they like the one with the mountain in it. I do not choose a guitar or an amp or how I use them based on anybody’s ears except my own...just as you have to paint using your eyes. I don’t find a large percentage of people who own guitars that are truly listening to what the instrument or the amp is really doing, anyway. It is a small Percentage of guitar owners who are hearing much of anything...ime. This is my experience having worked for a large number of people over the last three decades. Listening is a discipline that must be exercised and developed, ime...just as a visual artist must learn to see in ways that others may not even consider.

hemingway likes this.
  4. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Here are a couple of quotes I like from a fellow Hoosier and one of my favorite authors.

C9EC05A4-8E07-4822-B27A-63B4733DF3E8.jpeg

5. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

LOVE Vonnegut!
    Great writer, and, as he'd rather be remembered, a fine humanist.

6. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Of course you're right. My post was not entirely serious in one sense. But in another it was, in that it was a weary reaction to some recent threads about small differences in sound possibly caused by some things that some people take very seriously. So there is an element in it of Let's Not Take All This Too Seriously And Remember It's Supposed To Be Fun.

There's a constant back and forth as an artist - visual or musical or whatever - between understanding that we, as you say, see and hear in ways that others don't, and on the other hand that, frankly, what we produce is not usually as profound as we think it is. But we keep striving. And we're never happy. Because if we're happy then we've stopped striving. Damn. The curse.

I suppose my point is that you just need to make sure you're striving after the right things: that means writing a good song rather than making sure you have the right pickups or the right "tonewood".

And every now and then it doesn't actually hurt to sit down with someone who thinks your guitar sounds better because it's red rather than yellow. Because that should make you laugh, and bring you down to earth, and return you to what matters. And those are good things.

And by the way, thanks for the kind words about my paintings. They mean a lot.

pippoman and Wally like this.
  7. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Somebody is stealing my GAS technique. You know what my wife does? She counts cases. As long as I don’t exceed my current status quo I’m golden. She wised up to the old ‘same color’ trick back when Godzilla was just a gecko.

Collin D Plonker and hemingway like this.
  8. pippoman

Sounds like ol’ Kurt had it figured out.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

After I do what I can to make my instruments and my amps all they can be, I have to accept what goes on while I join in the creative moment in my own limited way. We agree on that, it seems.
    As for your friend who is motivated by color rather than sound, it could be that what makes his chemistry and reactions happen is color. There are people who see sounds as colors. That is foreign to my experience, but I can only imagine that such an experience could be wonderful. It is interesting on at least one level how he reacts to colors. About my worst reaction to color is when a good looking blonde woman wears a pale to medium yellow. That is just wrong. The color scheme doesn’t work. And, the same lady in red will be a knockout!!

hemingway likes this.
  10. pippoman

To Hemingway and Wally: those are really deep thoughts guys. I don’t know whether to cry or play my guitar!
    Deeeeeep I say.

hemingway and nicknklv like this.
  11. rze99

rze99 Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve put this forward before on these pages.

My wife is a classical musician. All my guitars “sound the same”.

She’s right, essentially.

When I play them, I know... but I them in a similar way enough that to her ears they are no different.

Can I hear the difference between a Bechstein and a Blutner? Maybe a bit, but if the player is great, who cares?

hemingway and Bella like this.
  12. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Not a fan of Hendrix then?

hemingway likes this.
  13. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

Didnt read beyond post 1, but that's why we should strive to be musicians that musicians listen to.

Wally likes this.
  14. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

I've haven't read every post in this thread, so apologies if somebody has posted this already, but it's not at all a new development. When Les Paul built his famous "log" in 1940 and tried it out at a bar gig, he received this response from the audience:

hemingway, nicknklv and BorderRadio like this.
  15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

artist friends... sheeesh... :lol:

hemingway likes this.
  16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Duh, don’t meta the fun. That’s why posting a “NGD” thread at this forum is so anti-climatic. Y’all jaded and breaking down the 6th wall...unless I happen to have what you want next :twisted:

hemingway likes this.
  17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

18. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

If you want your most cherished tone fantasies to be crushed under the jack boot of uncaring reality, watch the youtube video with Billy Gibbon's guitar tech.

Billy uses .007 strings.

All the amps on stage are faux. All sound is coming from one 12" speaker in an isolation box back stage.

All 400 of his stage guitars are run through an equalizer to come out sounding like his favorite Les Paul bridge pickup.

hemingway and USTTRM like this.
  19. USTTRM

USTTRM TDPRI Member

My Japanese guitarist and I went to go scout out a venue in Tokyo.
    Band on stage was God awful. Out of tune and so out of time.
    He turns to me and says,
    "All their gear is brand new."
    I look and he was right. He and I both had pawnshop guitars and both of us didn't give a crap about it. When it came time to play neither did the audience.

hemingway likes this.
  20. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day to day to the last syllable of recorded time.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death.

Out, out, brief candle!

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.

It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Wally, hemingway and USTTRM like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.