We're all wasting our time

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Sep 10, 2020.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

I sort of came to that same conclusion last night when I unboxed a new arrival to find a broken neck. I just thought "Why am I even getting another guitar? I have more than I can physically carry." I just got back from dropping it off at GC for a credit. I need to play the gear I have, and obsess less about the newest shiny object.

Rocky058, nojazzhere and hemingway like this.
  2. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Holic

Sure we can get obsessive over minutiae around guitars and amps. That's why we frequent forums like this.
    It's also true that we play better when the sound is right. Sometimes the listener has no idea about why they like a piece of music but knows subconsciously that there is something happening they like.

3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

That made me laugh out loud.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I got into the neon business, around 1990-91, there was a guy in sign repair that came to the shop where I worked. He looked EXACTLY like the kind of "cookie-cutter" country star of that time. Dark hair, fashionably long and layered, stubble beard, (looked almost drawn on) big cowboy hat, starched white "pearl snap" shirts, starched jeans, and expensive, polished cowboy boots. Picture Eddie Rabbit or something. He would laugh about it, but when he took a date to a restaurant or club, people thought he was "somebody", but they couldn't quite place him. He often got food or drinks "comped", just for looking like he did. Of course, he never "set them straight".....but played the part expected of him. Folks would even ask for autographs, and he'd scribble something illegible. His "public" was always thrilled. ;)

5. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

Oh dear... Would it help if I just hum the really tricky bits

hemingway likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have THREE Joe Bonamassas, but two of them are not working at the present!

USTTRM and Ronzo like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Uh, well, if it's all the same to you...:D

Ronzo likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Vintage, and naturally reliced.

thesamhill and Ronzo like this.
  9. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I agree. Henceforth I’ll only buy red guitars. The others suck. Unless they’re Telecasters!!!!

hemingway likes this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m a nihilist

Why do anything? Seriously if you think about it everything is purposeless

I still enjoy stuff and don’t believe in destruction though

hemingway and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

On a clear day sitting on the trailer of my truck one day eating a burrito I had warmed on my engine at a dirt pull out about ten miles out of Ransburg California, I looked out at the pure nothingness that is the Mojave desert, and realized EVERYTHING really is pointless. The snakes and the tortoises that inhabit the area don't care if it ever changes, and it's not likely to. The few people who live out that way are all crazy, and they don't WANT it to change. Fortunately, few people ever experience the total uselessness of that kind of country, or a lot more people would feel the same way you do.

I knew an old man when I was a kid who worked at the gin during cotton season. He'd make about a five hundred dollars a year, he lived in a one room shack that cost him a hundred bucks a year for rent, he said he could live all year on the money he made at the gin, and have some left over. He fashioned shoe strings from bits of coat hangers that he clamped on his boots, he never bought anything he could fashion for himself. He listened to a crystal radio that he had a wire antenna strung on top of his house. I asked him one day what his plans were for the future? He said I'm going to keep on doing the same thing I'm doing now until I die. I hope he made it!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  12. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Once the Fuzzface enters the picture, all bets are off!

hemingway likes this.
  13. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Is your friend a drummer? Seriously, I hear stories about guys looking for new guitars and wanting a specific color. Why? Because their wife won't notice they got another if it's the same color as one they already have.

pippoman, Scooter91 and hemingway like this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

In the grand scheme of things when humans are extinct it’s not gonna make a lick of difference to the universe that we were ever here

I’m still gonna try and have an okay time, that’s all that matters

So we ALL are WASTING our time

That’s enough of me being a curmudgeon for now

Toto'sDad and gregulator450 like this.
  15. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You give us way too much credit. in a blind test nobody can tell anyway...

hemingway likes this.
  16. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think this concept applies to a lot of music. A couple examples: Popular culture that knows anything about guitars heavily associates Jimmy Page with one of a couple Les Pauls. For over half my life I thought everything Zepp recorded was done with a Les Paul or a "double-neck SG" (face it, no one outside our subculture knows what an EDS-1275 is; hell, until 4 seconds ago I thought it was an ES-1275 and I am a guitar super nerd). I had no idea that a Tele ever existed in Zeppelin's world.

When I was 14 I saw a picture of Billy Gibbons with a blackguard Tele, captioned as "at a west Texas raceway" (I wish I could find the picture again; it sold me on the idea that Teles are cool). I thought that blackguard Tele was the sound of ZZ Top for a good 10 years after that, until I found out about Pearly Gates.

My point is, nobody but us rig-rundown-watching nerds care what gauge strings Hendrix was using, or which way his pickups were wound, or how many fuzz pedals Billy Gibbons daisy-chained together. Let alone which of their guitars sounded best. Or nitro vs. poly. or ash vs. alder. or... etc.

I could go on about personal musings regarding this for a LONG time, but I won't bore you guys. Outside of informing my small side business as a guitar tech and repair/mod guy, all the gear mumbo-jumbo on which I have "wasted" my time has no value/benefit (e.g., I spent an hour on the phone yesterday talking with a friend about attenuators, which hopefully helped him make a decision on which one to buy. I will likely never use one myself, but my time spent learning about them benefited my friend).

I am fortunate to get to work on and play a diverse cross-section of what the guitar world offers, including quite a few guitars and amps I will never afford, and that suffices for my needs. I keep a handful for myself and that's enough.

Apologies in advance for the lengthy rambling.

hemingway and USTTRM like this.
  17. gregulator450

I beg to differ, @Fretting out - the guitars and gear you play while you're here won't matter in the grand scheme of things, but the fact that you were here does matter, and it always will. :)

Fretting out likes this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Note: naturally, but not gently.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. gregulator450

Considering the quality of the miscreants and hooligans with whom we "waste" our time in this space, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "waste". :)

hemingway and LetItGrowTone like this.
  20. gregulator450

Yeah, I'm that guy. :lol::lol:

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.